DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Start line enhancers on cars driven to and from the lanes
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Start line enhancers on cars driven to and from the lanes
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
You don't want to use an SLE than don't
How about no delay box or no rev limiter or data recorder or Grid or EFI.....

The list is pretty long of modern devices and electronics.....

I used an SLE for a while for bracket racing. I had Co-2 shifting, t-stop, SLE and never once lost a round or had a malfunction.

I had my own 20lb steel CO-2 bottle and 3 C02 bottles. I could go many runs on one bottle and could refill my own bottle in 5 minutes....

The SLE made my starting line routine for bracket racing the same as for pro tree racing and that was a big plus for me...

I did not use the SLE for pro tree racing but I know some do...and it may help since it eliminates going to the mat with 4 bulbs lit....and that can be a distraction....

Sometimes in the pits when I backed up the SLE got triggered but was never a problem....I did have a separate backup button.....I probably triggered it by accidently hitting the trans brake button turning my wheel....

I raced when none of this stuff was around....just more things to manage and stay on top of....

Again, you don't want it....don't use it....your choice...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SCDIV1,

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
SCDIV1…KNOWS!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
I stand behind my statements on the SLE as will many successful bracket racers.

Some successful bracket racers can't race without it...choices.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
The ONLY reason that I continued using C02 instead of compressed air is the moisture in the air. I've been concerned about getting moisture into the throttle stop/SLE system.

I have a gram scale in the motor home so I can check the weight the in the 10 ounce bottles (I have two bottles, one in the car and a spare). Finding a C02 charging station has become slightly challenging. I was using a local Beer Distributing Company but they continue to increase charging me to re-fill the bottles, it's gone up from $4 a bottle to now around $8. $4 for 10 ounces was already ridiculous, $8 plus the inconvenience of getting the bottles charged may just be my tipping point to switch to air.

All I would need is the adapter to charge the bottle. If moisture isn't a problem perhaps it's time to switch to air.

Bob

I had the same issues, then a bought a 20 lb "mother" bottle with a dip tube. current price is $184. Then i made a adapter, you can by them premade on amazon. the only issue is, with a 20lb bottle, you get 32 fill ups for your 10 oz bottle and it took me 7 years to go thru that much Co2 and the bottle needs to be rectified every 5 years. the 20 lb bottle costs $30 to fill.

https://gascylindersource.com/...-siphon-tube-handle/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B6...dt_b_product_details

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1300 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Yep, for BRACKET RACING, HECK YEAH I vote toss all that stuff. Grid, gone, delay box, gone, sle, gone, air/electric shifter, gone, data logger, gone, TB, gone, the only thing I'd vote to keep would be a rev limiter from a safety and spectator less oil downs perspective. None of this is needed, none. You want it, there plenty of.90 events and anyone can T stop and button and data log away.
Now do I use them, damn straight I DO! I want to win. I typically race bottom bulb but I'm leaving off the TB and I have a box to swap in if I am racing top.

I do not think all these automations have helped our sport. It is not a personal attack, it is simply what I believe and would like to see, and I know it will never happen, so it's all good, I have driven both fully automated and nothing automated, I know which is more fun. If I raced a dragster, I'd probably get an SLE, HOWEVER, our sport ain't any better for it IMO.

If you disagree, great, I respect your opinion.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
if you're running a 7.50 car and you're dialed 4.35 it's pretty handy. If the et's are fairly similar i don't see much of an advantage.

Dragsters are stupid anyway Smile

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
It’s utterly ridiculous to think we are ever going back to what once was . All these devices are here to stay, the least of which is the SLE which is used by many of the best. Don’t want it don’t used it. Controlling the throttle after the launch is what matters.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Ed clue me in ?

How do you control both the SLE and your plate stop ? I had to switch a wire on my K&R box to swap from T-Stop to SLE and did not think I could use both at the same time.

I had both a plate and an inline on my car at one time and tried pretty much every variation...

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:

You are a bracket racer and not Pro Tree racing.....you put your foot to the floor AFTER you let go...

If you did some Pro Tree racing you'd have to change that routine and it can cause you to screw up...

Maybe young folks are a lot sharper and have no problem but myself I sometimes did swapping from full tree to Pro Tree...

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:

You are a bracket racer and not Pro Tree racing.....you put your foot to the floor AFTER you let go...

If you did some Pro Tree racing you'd have to change that routine and it can cause you to screw up...

Maybe young folks are a lot sharper and have no problem but myself I sometimes did swapping from full tree to Pro Tree...

Sometimes we forget what this Forum is about...Bracket Talk Forum. Wink

TORQIN is spot on!

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2552 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Super racing is Bracket racing.....you just can't change your dial.....it's fixed and it's up to you how you get there....

Same as index racing that is run some around here.....

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
AGAIN, SCDIV1…KNOWS!

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Again, Ediot doesn’t know

L8R, Mike

Posts: 12289 | Location: Murrieta, Calif | Registered: August 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Special EDiot (Keyboard Racer):
AGAIN, SCDIV1…KNOWS!

Wrong Wrong Wrong

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2552 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I dont have any first hand experience because I haven't Pro tree raced in years but I always was under the impression that a SLE could slow your reaction time on a Pro tree

Posts: 2432 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I love my SLE on the Pro tree. I don't have any flow controls on it, so I stage with my foot to the floor and when both cars are fully staged, I set the button and...BAM! WOT, right now.

I think the most critical time for a SLE is bracket racing with a fast car in the age of CrossTalk. On a long spot, if you go WOT as soon as you let go you are on the chip for a long time. If you wait for the second bulb to come on, you may not hit the chip before the brake releases.

I do know that several people have the SLE terminal connected to a light bulb instead, to let the driver know when to put the foot down. That works too.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3161 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
I love my SLE on the Pro tree. I don't have any flow controls on it, so I stage with my foot to the floor and when both cars are fully staged, I set the button and...BAM! WOT, right now.

I think the most critical time for a SLE is bracket racing with a fast car in the age of CrossTalk. On a long spot, if you go WOT as soon as you let go you are on the chip for a long time. If you wait for the second bulb to come on, you may not hit the chip before the brake releases.

I do know that several people have the SLE terminal connected to a light bulb instead, to let the driver know when to put the foot down. That works too.

Right on....I bracket raced using the SLE and raced much slower cars.....and it works great
Never tried it for Pro Tree because I was always on the button with 4 bulbs lit...
I have friends who insist they never got on the button till after 4 bulbs were on but that sequence was not for me

I ran on a Pro Tree as far back as 1983.....foot braking !

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:

If you wait for the second bulb to come on, you may not hit the chip before the brake releases.

And that's why I always thought the SLE could hinder your RT on a pro tree by not getting fully on the chip before the transbrake released.

As far as the light, on a K&R box, when you set the SLE it turns a green light on letting you know its active, I always looked at the box after pushing the SLE button to make sure its on before putting my foot to the floor

Posts: 2432 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
AGAIN, SCDIV1…KNOWS!

We've been running a SLE since day one for both bracket racing and .90 on the dragster and since 2020 on the Firebird when I set it up for Kyle, Our record speaks for itself! Earlier this month, I swapped the SLE in both cars from this

https://www.biondoracing.com/p...arting-line-control/

to this

https://www.biondoracing.com/p...2-precision-control/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
The only time I have had a problem with the SLE it when using a microswitch and wearing gloves. I was bumping in and must have hit the TB button, the car wouldn't move forward then the SLE released and I launched while trying to light the second bulb. That was 20+ years ago.

I've raced both dragsters and doorcars with and without an SLE. With an SLE is much easier and one less distraction on the starting line.

Back in the day, when we actually had to cross, we double hit the tree then went to the floor with the gas pedal in a dragster. It still could get confusing, especially if you missed both and tried to bump.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TomR,

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 743 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post