DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Start line enhancers on cars driven to and from the lanes
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Start line enhancers on cars driven to and from the lanes
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Paul Dilley
posted
Gday,
Are guys using start line enhancers on cars that drive to and from the lanes, ie. no tow cars what so ever.
Any particular issues excepting air/co2 leaks of course.
Cheers

Posts: 42 | Location: gracemere, qld, Australia | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I drive my dragster to and from the lanes, never an issue with my starting line enhancer.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5315 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Why would you think there would be an issue, what is your concern? They are not used except for staging. Both my cars have SLE and driven to the lanes as is every bracket car. We also have on board air compressors, no CO2.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
The only possible issue is that if you need the trans brake button to back up, you will cycle your SLE or throttle stop every time you use reverse. The best way around this is to wire a separate button to activate the trans for reverse, but it's not a requirement. I've used a SLE for years without issue and only wired a separate back up button a year ago.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 631 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BD104X:
The only possible issue is that if you need the trans brake button to back up, you will cycle your SLE or throttle stop every time you use reverse. The best way around this is to wire a separate button to activate the trans for reverse, but it's not a requirement. I've used a SLE for years without issue and only wired a separate back up button a year ago.

I would definitely recommend wiring a separate back-up button. It’ll only take one time where you need to back out of your pit spot uphill to realize that.

I have no restrictor valves in my system, so the throttle movement is quite violent. I get nervous if the SLE is activated in the pits or any time the car is not on the starting line.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3162 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Why would you think there would be an issue, what is your concern? They are not used except for staging. Both my cars have SLE and driven to the lanes as is every bracket car. We also have on board air compressors, no CO2.

10000000000000000000000% on the on board compressor.

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Paul Dilley
posted Hide Post
Gday,
Thanks for the replies!
No real concerns Ed, just never had anything to do with them, I was just thinking I was one of the few over here in our bracket that drives the car, most are towed to the head of the lanes and then back to the pits.
Cheers
Thanks!

Posts: 42 | Location: gracemere, qld, Australia | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
Never had a problem with mine driving around the pits. I have a home made on-board compressor that powers the SLE.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 743 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Others will probably say I'm crazy but my only SLE advice would be if the SLE ever accidentally gets armed stop put the car in park and shut it off to reset the SLE.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
The ONLY reason that I continued using C02 instead of compressed air is the moisture in the air. I've been concerned about getting moisture into the throttle stop/SLE system.

I have a gram scale in the motor home so I can check the weight the in the 10 ounce bottles (I have two bottles, one in the car and a spare). Finding a C02 charging station has become slightly challenging. I was using a local Beer Distributing Company but they continue to increase charging me to re-fill the bottles, it's gone up from $4 a bottle to now around $8. $4 for 10 ounces was already ridiculous, $8 plus the inconvenience of getting the bottles charged may just be my tipping point to switch to air.

All I would need is the adapter to charge the bottle. If moisture isn't a problem perhaps it's time to switch to air.

Bob

Posts: 3086 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Look to a local paint ball shop.

Posts: 496 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Moisture isn't a problem with my on board compressors which provide air for the SLE on the dragster and the SLE and shifter on the Firebird, throttle stops are electric.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that gets his filled at a fire extinguisher shop.

Posts: 1464 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I ran a K&R compressor for 5 years and never had a moisture issue with both SLE and air shifter. I would also squirt a little Marvel mystery oil in the airline leaving the tank every now and then to keep the valves lubed. Ran Co2 prior to that and getting the bottles filled got to be a PITA but biggest deciding factor was pulling to the line with no gas pedal due to loss of Co2 pressure.
Having a air chuck at the back of the car is a nice plus if you get hung in the lanes and need to add some air

Posts: 2433 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
especially with empties Didn't think of that

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
We don't use them, never have...will never have an issue with them either. Air compressor is for airing up tires.

When this sport takes the gas pedal away from our foot or controls the race at any point of the race day...we are done.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
We don't use them, never have...will never have an issue with them either. Air compressor is for airing up tires.

When this sport takes the gas pedal away from our foot or controls the race at any point of the race day...we are done.

IMO, it's a crutch (SLE); among many other items in racing. Congrats for not using it & doing well.

Just because people don't use them, doesn't mean they aren't using other CRUTCHES! Wink

2BKING doesn't need an air compressor for his M/T tires, but did for the Hoosiers.

Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2560 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
As far as fillig bottle. You can buy a coupler and just fill off a tank.. Have used oxygen, argon and co2. all worked fine. Now oxygen with a fire might add soe excitement to the game.LOL

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4195 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
We don't use them, never have...will never have an issue with them either. .

I wouldn't change a thing if I were you.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 743 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
110% agree with Torq.

When you describe this stuff to a non racer it is almost embarrassing. SLE should not be allowed.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post