Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
SBC ?
 Login/Join
 
DRR S/Pro
posted
SBC ?

At what point (yrs? / # of runs?) do you use to determine when to freshen your sbc engine? Or, do you continue to run until something breaks?
 
Posts: 5505 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Watch oil filter. I check compression when I lash valves. Watch time slips.
 
Posts: 23 | Location: indiana | Registered: September 14, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of CURTIS REED
posted Hide Post
I log every run so I keep an eye on my crankcase vacuum, oil pressure and flash rpm so I know that the engine is making the same hp. Obviously the hp figures have to have weather taken into account.

As Doug does I watch my oil but I'm kinda cheap so I probably go further than many at 75 runs but I have a K&P re-usable filter to check between changes.
 
Posts: 5760 | Location: KIEFER, OK. | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
its cheaper to freshen than to repair,also do you want to do in the prime of racing after a break.all combos are too different for a given #.i think you have a lot of numbers already.reward your motor when you start feeling guilty.i ran my bracket motor two seasons.lol this year i built afer every race.


thank you, president Trump
 
Posts: 4419 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
its cheaper to freshen than to repair,also do you want to do in the prime of racing after a break..


Agreed. It’s tough to get race engines rebuilt/ repaired timely. I have two identical rotating assemblies in a little M and SHP with same head package. The SHP is rebuilt sitting as the spare since 2021.
 
Posts: 5505 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
Agreed. It’s tough to get race engines rebuilt/ repaired timely. I have two identical rotating assemblies in a little M and SHP with same head package. The SHP is rebuilt sitting as the spare since 2021.


I'm thinking about starting a 2nd long block using identical heads but might have the new heads ported. Heck, I don't know maybe I need to take a break while the engine is being freshened. It will be fine for another season. Might put in new springs & lifters this winter.

2BKING Smile

Relaxing


1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3100 lbs.
Pump Gas 436
 
Posts: 4051 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I was on the fence about replacing the engine that had 1038 runs in 7 yrs back in April and decided to continue with it in 2026 the 8th year. The 2026 racing weather sucked with some events rained out and I had mechanical problems that forced me to miss several events. I raced a three day event last weekend and the weather was low 70’s and blue skys, just beautiful. Engine still running strong, as fast as when it was installed in 2019. This coming weekend was going to be the last event at my home track for me and I was going to switch engines. I ran the valves yesterday and found one I’ve been watching loose by 5 thou. I believe the lifter needle roller bearing is starting to fail. I’m done. 8 yrs and 1098 runs. I’m going to leave this engine sit for a couple years and make sure the rebuilt one (in 2021) is 100%. In the event I have a failure in the rebuilt engine, I can pull the intake off the present one, replace the old lifters with a new set and keep racing. My engine builder told me he’d put a new set of lifters in this one and keep racing it.
 
Posts: 5505 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post



  Powered by Social Strata  
 


© DragRaceResults.com 2026