Find
Notify
Tools

540 BBC cam
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I would call Bullet and the more information you have the better they can help you.

On the lifter if you have valve train issues then it is usually a sign of some problem. Coil bind, wrong pushrod length, wrong springs, weak springs, wrong selection of components or some other issue. Plus the fact that you got broken lifter means you may have metal in your pan which can break oil pump or trash motor. I would try to find out WHY it broke so you do not do it again.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
If you want a cam that was designed by Harold Brookshire aka Ultradyne 40-50 years ago you call bullet.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Can't nobody out run a Bullet Ripper home built n/a 23 sbc @3200 lbs.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes that shyt box ain't nothing special

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Ok. I'll ask. This is probably right there with what oil to run but I'll ask anyway. Who, IN YOUR OPINION designs the best camshaft profiles and why? Different algorithms or methodologies,
empirical data, little of both? I have read some pretty detailed discussions around camshaft design and theory and find it very intriguing.

Who is the best? Why?

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I'm the best Karen, because I said so. Spitting

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Ok

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
How much consideration is put on the third derivative? Significant, Some, none?. I realize it gets pretty esoteric when you get to the fourth derivitive but how much consideration is given to the amount of jerk (3rd) in a camshaft design. Is this relegated to empirical data from a spintron?
Is the fourth even looked at on these software packages? I assume the 3rd is.

I realize this is probably more of a stability concern more so than performance but not being "in" that industry I don't know.

BG

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BG7X77:
Ok. I'll ask. This is probably right there with what oil to run but I'll ask anyway. Who, IN YOUR OPINION designs the best camshaft profiles and why? Different algorithms or methodologies,
empirical data, little of both? I have read some pretty detailed discussions around camshaft design and theory and find it very intriguing.

Who is the best? Why?

That's a subjective question. The only objective answer in this thread has already been stated, evidenced.

As far as the OP's cam choice. Sounds like it needs more compression if it only makes 765hp, I'd fix that & do a Bullet. I looked at a Lunati that would be badazz 540 too. Not gonna suggest it if the thing has no compression.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
OK so its a turd but i can still turn on win lights with it. I typically only bracket race so the number on the back window doesn't really mean that much to me. We checked the valve springs and the troubled lifter spring was approx 50lbs low. Again this motor sat for quite some time and probably sat without releaving the springs.
My question at this point are comp and pak the same valve springs? I noticed they look the same on adds with that bronze color. Same specs too. Just trying to id what i have so i know what to get. Shafiroff was no help for me.

Posts: 73 | Location: Lake Worth Fl. | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Comp is not Pac.. Since the 540 has some prior owners. You really don't know what's in it or on it.
The 345's with the 2.300 valve would more likely than not come with the 1.625 spring @250. with the IH of 2.000. You have to measure the OD of the spring. What color marker if there is one, on the spring? What did they say when you called? Comps 1.640 spring with the 2.300 also with the IH of 2.000 will have a Blue marker on it. Unless you put the heads in the shop will be the best avenue.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Comp is not Pac.. Since the 540 has some prior owners. You really don't know what's in it or on it.
The 345's with the 2.300 valve would more likely than not come with the 1.625 spring @250. with the IH of 2.000. You have to measure the OD of the spring. What color marker if there is one, on the spring?

I can't find a marker. They are that bronze color if that means anything. Titanium retainers and triple springs is all i know at this point. Gonna try in next day or 2 to get a spring off. Comp and pack have very similar springs but the id of the springs is slightly different. I'm sure one could replace the other.

Posts: 73 | Location: Lake Worth Fl. | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
opps i forgot. good springs took 290 to open.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Also i did measure the outer diameter. im getting like 1.678. i don't know if the diameters they list are a rough measurement

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the standard 280 on the seat @2.000
IH. Measure the OD of the spring. See also if it has spring locators or the cups. A 1.670 spring is a massive spring. We are guessing here.Like you stated priors had it. If you can get the grind number off the cam. If its a comp, you can look it up. A lot of guys over spring the heads when it it not necessary. We cant guess here. Best advice, get the cam with the proper springs. Another issue
we don't know what the OAL of the valve is.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
od was 1.678 and it has cups underneath

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Yeah i'm slowly working toward getting it torn down. Can only do so much after working all day.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I understand, just trying to help.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I know some people over do the ih pressures. Seems to me it would add stress to the other valve train
components when its not necessary.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xtended_s10:
My question at this point are comp and pak the same valve springs?

YES, many if not all now, Comp valve springs are "Pac" springs which really means they are made by Associated Spring.

Manley's Nextek valve springs are too Pac are too Associated Spring and many others.