New
Find
Notify
Tools

Funny Car cage
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Larry parks rigs, has never done a chassis cert on either of my cars for the past 15 years nor have I seen him cert any chassis at a divisional or scheduled chassis cert day at Numidia over the last 13 years. Thinking it’s been a long time since Larry certified chassis on a regular basis. But non of this matters, if the OP wants to add a swing out bar then do it, there is no tech in bracket racing and a spot check at best in NHRA LODRS class racing today.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Ed....Wiggins DOES do chassis certs and he did my car at Island 4 years ago....and does them at other locations..

He's the only guy that ever made me remove my body panels that I just put back on before trailering the car to Island...

It was March 30 or 31 and I said you are gonna punch the sticker for April, right ?

Nope...he insisted on punching it for March....

They certed over 50 cars that day...2 guys...

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
As I said rich not once in 15 years and my car has been certified at D1 events but not by Larry, he was to busy parking rigs. Laughing Hard

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Dave Mohn
Bob Nixon
Larry Wiggins
Al Brown
and others that I can't recall their names have stickered cars I've had going back to when they started with certs on cars....30+ years....

Larry is a ....oh I won't say it....LOL

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
and Steve Rhodes. All except Larry have certified my cars.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
Feel free to contact any of the inspectors below.

http://cms.nhra.com/chassisinspectors/

Division 1
Tom Blair
Youngstown, PA
724-539-8187
trainman2@comcast.net

Curt LaShure
Ephrata, PA
717-448-0733
cursanl78@gmail.com

Steven Lecours
Whitby, ON Canada
905-665-8006
stevenlecours@hotmail.com

Bob Nixon
Nazareth, PA
610-759-4937
bobnix78@aol.com

Steven Rhoads
Birdsboro, PA
484-955-9017
D1chassiscert@aol.com

Larry Wiggins
Rising Sun, MD
410-658-6264
lwigginsjr@zoominternet.net

Bill Masiello
Shelton, CT
203-521-5822
fta1167@yahoo.com

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 743 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
One of the requirements to be an NHRA chassis inspector is you have to work divisional and national events. So Larry parks cars, so what? Does that make him less important or knowledgeable than anyone else?

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 743 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
yes but none of that matters! It's never been certified, the OP lives in Texas and there is no tech!

quote:
Originally posted by Little Chief:
Never been certified

Further, a swing out bar with a funny car cage won't provide the OP with the ease of getting in and out that he's wanting. He is considering selling this car because of this reason.

quote:
Originally posted by Little Chief:
Over the last several years during the completion of my Sunfire a few things have changed. Of course, I have gotten older, not as flexible as I used to be, and I like comfort more than ever. Now don't get me wrong I love the way the Sunfire turned out, but it's gotten to be a chore to get in and out of for me. If the right deal came along and someone offered me the correct amount of money, I might let it go. I see many S10 trucks out there these days and they look much easier to get in and out of and look cool as well. OH well just thinking out loud.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted Hide Post
I have decided to modify my cage with a swing out bar and will do so after this racing season. With my design changes it will definitely make easier access getting in and out of the car. Like Ed said there is little to no tech, especially in Texas. God Bless Texas

Posts: 230 | Location: Kilgore Texas | Registered: July 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
clapping

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
OK, I have followed this "discussion" from the start.
As a FYI, I have performed chassis certifications for more than 20 years, I have also worked tech at Division, National, Bracket races for 15 of those years I have also performed tech at last years(?) Funny Car Chaos race at SAR. So I do have a little experience in this discussion, Hell, I even had to take the chassis certification test for the first time this year after 20 years doing it..

IF, the car is to ONLY be certified for an 8.50 chassis it is ONLY required to have an 8 point cage.
This is spelled out in the IHRA rule book as there is no SFI spec for an 8 point cage. And before someone say's anything, I could give 2 sh ites what NHRA does. Also, I'll add that an 8.50 car can have as many extra bars in it that the builder wants.
That would include a funny car cage, even if it isn't properly built.
A swing out bar is allowed in an 8.50 car as long as it is properly constructed. As such a chassis sticker could be issued.
Now ya'll can get your favorite flavor inspector to disagree, I don't care...lol
Oh by the way for tech purposes that 8 point cage requires a window net.

Dave

DC: Net required if class mandates the cage..

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
LOL.. I do agree not a lot of tech at ANY track..

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:
LOL.. I do agree not a lot of tech at ANY track..

Dave

Certified cage shouldn't really matter when the 5.80 index door car driver is wearing shorts and dragster driver has on a -1 jacket, jeans, no arm restraints or neck collar. Saw this with my own eyes this past weekend.
And this was while I was driving a friends 4.70 dragster wearing my -15 suit when it was over 100* Laughing Hard

Posts: 2434 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:

Certified cage shouldn't really matter when the 5.80 index door car driver is wearing shorts and dragster driver has on a -1 jacket, jeans, no arm restraints or neck collar. Saw this with my own eyes this past weekend.. Laughing Hard

I've seen it more times than I can count. Bet he didn't have a cert either.. Big Grin

I use to not wear my firesuit pants (years ago) but always wore the jacket. Then after putting my Daytona on it's roof at SAR I became a lot more safety conscience after that.. Now like you I wear it all..

Dave