DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    bbc electric water pump
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bbc electric water pump
 Login/Join

<DOTracer>
posted
I need to decide what to do about a new water pump for my bbc. The front cap on the electric motor was damaged slightly on the Meziere high flow pump I have.

Was looking at their web site and thought about going to the standard flow (35gpm) but they claim it's only good for 650 hp, and my bbc makes 1130. The standard flow pump can use an AN fitting down to -12.

The high flow only comes with a 1 3/4" hose attachment and I cut it shorter and welded an AN fitting on but the smallest I could make fit the 1 3/4" nipple was a -16.

I know some have been using smaller AN hoses.

So for a block mounted electric water pump for a 1100 hp bbc, what are people using and what size AN hose.

I guess worst case I could send my current water pump back for repair...

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If it worked well why change what has worked

Posts: 388 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Top355x:
If it worked well why change what has worked

Well the pump is 11 years old, showing it's signs of age, plus the end cap of the motor is damaged. Building a new car to replace the old one, so now is the time to switch if I'm going to.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Standard Meziere water pump on my 1107HP bbc in my dragster with -12AN hose.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:

Just looked and it appears with the WP100 standard pump they have two motor options.

One is the standard motor which is 35 gpm, and an option for a HD motor with a 42gpm.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I have the standard/35gpm

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have standard on my car but only 950 hp on gas and it cools my doorcar just fine. On a side note you can buy the endcap from Meziere or send it to them and have it replaced and tested.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DOTracer:
Just looked and it appears with the WP100 standard pump they have two motor options.

One is the standard motor which is 35 gpm, and an option for a HD motor with a 42gpm.

We use the HD 42gpm on our sbc & plan on still using it for our future 1000 hp (approximately) sbc.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2549 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Same with my door car, never had a overheating problem even on the warmest days.

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
I have the standard/35gpm

^^^^ This. I believe your cooling system size and fan/s based on the fuel you’re using is more important.

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
I am using the standard Meziere pump and -12 lines on my 1300 hp BBC. I've never had an issue cooling eve on the hottest days.

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Didn’t mean use the damaged one meant replace with same unit if it did all you needed it to

Posts: 388 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Standard Mezeire as well. Works just fine. I was running too hot on gas, but not a fault of the pump, too small of a radiator for my stuff...alky solved that issue though....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1468 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
For most drag racing only cars the 35 or 42 GPM pump will work fine.

If you want to cool down really fast between rounds put larger coolant lines on any pump and you will see an improvment.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 240 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted Hide Post
1100 hp all aluminum 632 35 gallon 12an hoses on methanol. Never gets hot.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post