DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Trying m/t big bubbas. Tire shake avoidance..
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trying m/t big bubbas. Tire shake avoidance..
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Just curious. What was the roll out on the old set compared to the Biggies. 4.30?. I could never use a (H) on my car. Tried for a half of season. Ran out of welding rod fixing stuff. lol

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Roughly 102 on the Hoosier 14.5/33.0-15 I believe. I don’t have the big bubbas in my possession but they are much bigger

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6409 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Just mounted a 2 sets of big Bubba's...107 3/4 on the 3195 and 109 1/4 on 3196.

Typically run between 5.5 and 6.5 on 4.40s to 4.70s dragsters...ran up to 8 lbs in my TS car a few years back.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
FYI - .5 rollout on our dragsters was .02 in the 1/8th. Verified on both cars. The sets on our cars were 1/2" different and we swapped them and one car picked up .02 and one car slowed down .02. Makes more difference than you might think.

SL...

Posts: 2112 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I may need to eventually changes gears. Or make more power

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6409 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Tim the Toolman Taylor says More Power...

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I mentioned to my son about backing down the boost or adding more fuel. He asked why this was even a question. LOL.

I started at 6 psi and ended up the day at 7.4. No real difference. No shake either way. For sure if I go with this tire I need to adjust my ride height and I can and will loosen the extension dampening on the shock. I will still getting some tire spin, but the shock was full stiff. (to avoid shake with the hoosiers) I think I can put some bite back into the car now that it seems less likely to shake. When we started going faster, I felt pretty defeated after trying everything and breaking many things with the shake. All I could do to get away from it was let them spin. Slower than 7.50's and it really wasn't an issue with the Hoosiers. Spectators said the car looked completely different leaving with the mt's. Running more pressure made it a lot less violent looking and feeling. My son said he never saw daylight under the fronts until we changed. Starting to now.

I sure wish the mt's were a little shorter. But the little bubba may end up being a good compromise. nobody talks about the 15" mt's. Or the smaller sized non bubba's. Not as good?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
Roughly 102 on the Hoosier 14.5/33.0-15 I believe. I don’t have the big bubbas in my possession but they are much bigger

You went from a 102 tire to a 109-111 tire... I'd say if you 60ft the same or better you need the Little tire and probably more gear still. Little's are 107-109 and Big's are 109-111

Brandon "Buddy"Legath
Mickey Thompson Tires
330-928-9092 X 3142

Posts: 6 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buddy:
quote:

You went from a 102 tire to a 109-111 tire... I'd say if you 60ft the same or better you need the Little tire and probably more gear still. Little's are 107-109 and Big's are 109-111

I shoot for right about 8k stripe. But....if I go with the little bubba, and change to a 4.36 gear, I'm already at 8k or a little better depending on how the converter tightens up. That would be great except if I keep getting more mph. It's a dilemma LOL. Think I will try the littles and work on my tune some more. Might be more there now that I can focus on that.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:
FYI - .5 rollout on our dragsters was .02 in the 1/8th. Verified on both cars. The sets on our cars were 1/2" different and we swapped them and one car picked up .02 and one car slowed down .02. Makes more difference than you might think.

SL...

This really depends on each combination! The more power you make the less sensitive it becomes. Converter can also play a large role here too.

On an older combo I ran, 565, alky injected RED, ran 4.10's and 3.90's and the only difference was the finish line rpm. This was much more of a change than 1/2" of roll out on tires.

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
Just curious. What was the roll out on the old set compared to the Biggies. 4.30?. I could never use a (H) on my car. Tried for a half of season. Ran out of welding rod fixing stuff. lol

109 to 111 plus is the typical range that I have seen over the last 3 plus years

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I mentioned to my son about backing down the boost or adding more fuel. He asked why this was even a question. LOL.

I started at 6 psi and ended up the day at 7.4. No real difference. No shake either way. For sure if I go with this tire I need to adjust my ride height and I can and will loosen the extension dampening on the shock. I will still getting some tire spin, but the shock was full stiff. (to avoid shake with the hoosiers) I think I can put some bite back into the car now that it seems less likely to shake. When we started going faster, I felt pretty defeated after trying everything and breaking many things with the shake. All I could do to get away from it was let them spin. Slower than 7.50's and it really wasn't an issue with the Hoosiers. Spectators said the car looked completely different leaving with the mt's. Running more pressure made it a lot less violent looking and feeling. My son said he never saw daylight under the fronts until we changed. Starting to now.

I sure wish the mt's were a little shorter. But the little bubba may end up being a good compromise. nobody talks about the 15" mt's. Or the smaller sized non bubba's. Not as good?

I will add this IMO, the littles with go faster but the bigs will repeat better and last longer. I'd gear it for the bigs unless your comp racing.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I know on my deal when i was using the GY D1's they came in @ 102. Mph was 180, 4.30 gear. Went to GY 2533. Was supposed to be 103 on the RO.Taped em up, low and behold, came in @108.25 and lost 8 Mph. Same 4.30 gear. Now I'm back to 102 tire. I didn't read the fine print. "High Growth Tire" on the 2533. The CO7 is another story for a different day.Found out after talking to the GY man at the divisionals. 2533 tire is not for your car. Called Frank Parks too. "What did i tell ya? you don't listen too well do ya? The (H) WILL NOT work on your car.
Dear Ole Frank lol.

I know in My Karting days. It was normal pending what track, i would carry 3 racks of tires dealing with stagger and roll out.. *** to get old.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:

I will add this IMO, the littles with go faster but the bigs will repeat better and last longer. I'd gear it for the bigs unless your comp racing.

Well, that and we know the bigs work well on the car right now. Might be the safe bet.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Talked to mt tech. He mentioned the 3080 15" rim tire. The 15' rim doesn't get much love here though.

What double bead lock rim width are you guys running on the 3195 big bubbas?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Talked to mt tech. He mentioned the 3080 15" rim tire. The 15' rim doesn't get much love here though.

Mine are 16x16 double..

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:

I run the 3080 on a non beadlock wheel but I'm only going 4.70s/7.50s

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Bucky, When I first got my dragster it had 16x16 double bead locks on it.
There was never a debate for me on tires. I went straight to MT little bubbas.

I had a friend "1army" let me drive his car (4.6 dragster) while I was putting mine together. He had Hoosiers on it and it shook my brains out on just about every pass. After seeing my car make pass after pass shake free, he now has MT little bubbas on it.

My car runs low 4.3 in good air with current tune up, 4.4 in mid summer no tuning changes. Sixty's @ .99X.

Little bubbas worked very well.

I went to the Big Bubbas last summer. Still runs 4.3 - 4.4 but sixties dropped to 1.00-1.01 MPH did not change.

I'm running a 1.69 low gear set with 3.90 in the rear.

Your mileage may vary..

Dave

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
How many passes do you normally get on the littles David?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
I ran them for 1 season plus, changed them just because. Never really kept track of number of runs.
I usually changed them because I was running some major race and wanted to be sure everything was good.

Very short burn outs and my guess is I could have ran them a lot longer than I did.

Dave