DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Do you even consider weight on your car?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you even consider weight on your car?
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
every FSS car has ceramic bearings in the center section and you can bet dam near every national record holding stock, super stock and comp car does too.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post
Try skipping "wing night" every so often.

Posts: 622 | Location: Latrobe Pa. | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:

i use them in the fronts and my floater hubs in the rear... not in the center section tho

I have them in the front, about to put on axles, but was told not to use them in the center section . I do have a low drag center section.

My car rolls like an army tank, mostly due to the very tight axle bearings MW uses and some brake drag. Car is faster than it needs to be so no worries in that area but it can be a PITA to push around by hand. I have watched JR push his around by himself, night and day compared to mine

Posts: 2426 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:
quote:

i use them in the fronts and my floater hubs in the rear... not in the center section tho

I have them in the front, about to put on axles, but was told not to use them in the center section . I do have a low drag center section.

My car rolls like an army tank, mostly due to the very tight axle bearings MW uses and some brake drag. Car is faster than it needs to be so no worries in that area but it can be a PITA to push around by hand. I have watched JR push his around by himself, night and day compared to mine

I am suprised Mark Williams makes anything that isnt 0 resistance

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 706 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Well, what did the cars end up weighing?

Posts: 789 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

MW center sections are also set up tight

Posts: 2426 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We use ceramics all over the heads up Vette. On the center section we have had some issues with life span. But we run an oddball these days 12 bolt drop out set up(lighter). Scott Parks has made a custom spacer for the pinion bearings that seems to have helped. We have at least gotten some more like out of them now. For those looking for good low/no drag alternative you can go Micro Blue bearings.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Total weight is of minimal concern, placement of weight is more important to me.
There might be some small weights on board to add or remove to help with dial in decisions. Wink

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1649 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
my 67 deuce weighs in at 2100 w/o driver with no fancy liteweight stuff. heck i see piperacks weigh that much lol

Posts: 1238 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I’d rather have a heavy car and a light wife, than the other way around!

Posts: 290 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

MW center sections are also set up tight

yep I sent mine to a different place when they needed freshening and such, mostly to free them up so they would roll

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1516 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
I use a shop in Indy, and he uses MW parts, and you can turn the yoke with a tooth pick and not bend it, when you get it back from them. I just assumed it was more of the parts...

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 706 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I use a shop in Indy, and he uses MW parts, and you can turn the yoke with a tooth pick and not bend it, when you get it back from them. I just assumed it was more of the parts...

indy gear? thats who i use

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1516 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Ticket:

Why not both?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Ticket:

Why not both?

Both is best, but you spend more time looking at your wife than your car!

Posts: 290 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Seems everyone feels that cutting weight has to be at high price tag. Right and wrong. There are lots of small thing you can do and they add up. No you will never see 5lbs. on et slip, but 10 or 12 5 lbs will show. Yes 5 lb is big weight savings also just example number.

I am on the extreme side of will do to cut weight and especially i it is just time and labor. I the brake caliper I bought for car. Used but at 25 cents on a dollar are examples. After measuring and studying on them. I went to mill and with cpl hours of work I had just under two pounds off. Now they are older and not near as light as newer stuff.
When possible I will make one bolt fasten two pieces instead of two bolts. If I feel piece will not have to be removed CPL small welds weigh lot less than bolts and nuts.

Do not forget drag.A little goes long ways. Now if you don't really care about getting everything you can out of car performance wise then it is all useless. As stated in the thread less resistance weight and drag will have to make for consistency.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
Years back I got rid of 7# in fastener weight.
Use the actual needed length bolt and 1/2 nuts wherever you can, AN washers or no washers, Aluminium bolts in non critical areas.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yessir! Wayne is great to deal with, just with the work he did to my 3rd member, i picked up .03, and i can push my car through the lanes by myself and not be out of breath. Another funny thing is, i got to play with a couple of the NEW promod 3rd member that is made by carmak and lazurus, and Wayne had set it up the EXACT same as my 3rd memeber, and said on its first pass, it was expected to go into the 5.60s

Jeremiah Hall

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
If you're class racing, your hood scoop plug needs to weigh about 45 pounds. Wink

goob- ifykyk

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1649 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yessir! Wayne is great to deal with, just with the work he did to my 3rd member, i picked up .03, and i can push my car through the lanes by myself and not be out of breath. Another funny thing is, i got to play with a couple of the NEW promod 3rd member that is made by carmak and lazurus, and Wayne had set it up the EXACT same as my 3rd memeber, and said on its first pass, it was expected to go into the 5.60s

He does good work for sure.. Getting my car to roll better was why I ended up there... Greg Stanfield turned me on to him...

J.R. Baxter

2024 Miller
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi