Find
Notify
Tools

No Tech Inspection
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
When I first started racing again at Detroit Dragway, yup The Dirty D, the gate was setup so tech happened before you even paid the entry fee. I got tagged a couple of times over things I was ignorant of. Went home and fixed them.

Fast forward to today. Hey, Bruce how ya doin? I know your work and car so sign here. I'm flattered of course but, an inspection should be made.

I have a checklist of things I check at home before I race. I requires a hand on the part and a check mark. I've missed a couple of things in the twenty years I've used it.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Here's a shocker. Friday night the tech guy actually checked my belts, master disconnect switch, helmet and jacket. First time I've been teched at PBIR in years.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tommy d:
At the Div III ET FINALS one year a guys balancer caused him to fail tech. He borrowed one and went back up to tech and passed. He reinstalled the old one , won the event and the tech guy remembered him and rechecked it.He was disqualified.
Tommyd, I remember that, do you remember when they checked for valid drivers license in the staging lanes at IRP for a summit race.? I know of one guy that got booted. Merry Christmas to you and all of the family.

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of tommy d
posted Hide Post
I forgot about the drivers license deal.Merry Christmas to you as well. Miss you guys.

Posts: 30 | Location: Indiana | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of Bill Koski
posted Hide Post
Over the years I've been hassled for minor things while cars around me were being passed with suspension pieces that would snag on the track with a flat tire and steering components I wouldn't drive at 25 MPH among other serious safety infractions.
I wouldn't have been popular as a tech man!

TAKE IT TO THE BANK!!!!!
Later, Bill Koski

Posts: 11005 | Location: LAS VEGAS. NEVADA, US of A | Registered: December 03, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
One of the few safety related items on a car that can affect others is the neutral safety switch. I think we've all seen or heard of cars being started in gear and causing damage, yet very rarely is that simple item checked. Only one track I've been to actually checked it.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maliciousintent:
Here's a shocker. Friday night the tech guy actually checked my belts, master disconnect switch, helmet and jacket. First time I've been teched at PBIR in years.

He must of read this thread Laughing Hard

Posts: 2432 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Woody B:
How many problems have any of you had due to someone else's expired chassis sticker?

How many problems have any of you had due to someone else not wearing the right jacket of gloves?

How many problems have any of you had due to someone else have expired belts?
ditto that

Johnny Claridge
Reher-Morrison
john.claridge@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 49 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Eman I was at Farmington this past weekend and that very thing happened in the staging lanes. Guy started his car in gear--got lucky it caused no damage.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Claridge:
quote:
Originally posted by Woody B:
How many problems have any of you had due to someone else's expired chassis sticker?

How many problems have any of you had due to someone else not wearing the right jacket of gloves?

How many problems have any of you had due to someone else have expired belts?

ditto that

Rules are for everyone Assuming you have an NHRA Competition License which states…you “reaffirm to all terms thereof including your agreement to abide by all NHRA rules, regulations and decisions.”

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Ed, why do bring up logical and cogent statement like that. In todays world few people want to follow the rules, just want to do their 'thing'. Don't want to follow the rules, then pack up your junk and go home.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
A safe car is YOUR responsibility. Let the track give us a safe place to race. If you want a tech inspection, pay the _HRA tech inspector.

Posts: 522 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Eman I was at Farmington this past weekend and that very thing happened in the staging lanes. Guy started his car in gear--got lucky it caused no damage.

I've seen it a few times, all they get is a warning the rest get an announcement and chances are it will keep happening. Damage is the least it will cause, run over someone or crush them between 2 cars in the lanes.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nomad:
When I first started racing again at Detroit Dragway, yup The Dirty D, the gate was setup so tech happened before you even paid the entry fee. I got tagged a couple of times over things I was ignorant of. Went home and fixed them.

Fast forward to today. Hey, Bruce how ya doin? I know your work and car so sign here. I'm flattered of course but, an inspection should be made.

I have a checklist of things I check at home before I race. I requires a hand on the part and a check mark. I've missed a couple of things in the twenty years I've used it.

Really, you don't like the honor system? How about handshake agreements?

So you think bigger government, with more officials is the answer eh?

I don't, I think less officials and better people is the answer.

But then again, look at all the scum forced down the throats of the American people on TV. It's no wonder this is the best we can do.

It's a real hell hole by design these days, now they're even teaching boys to dress as girls in the elementary schools, without the permission of parents.

It's no wonder imbeciles are now running this asylum, and also all the names on the pedo airplane flight log, are the same imbeciles.

Frankly, I don't care what you or anyone else does, as long as you don't plow into me. No amount of safety equipment, tech or NHRA licenses can guarantee that.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I can remember, back in the late 1970s, an incident I witnessed. A lady was basically crushed in the staging lanes between two vehicles. One race car crushed the lady against the car in front of it. Obviously, because no one had checked for a functioning neutral safety switch. However, at same day, at the same track, they were measuring each length of rubber lines and then adding them together to determine if the total was too much. I'm just saying...and that was a LONG, LONG time ago. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Turk
posted Hide Post
This is an interesting article and the track lost. Right on topic with Lack of tech inspections. Its a long read but when you get to the Negligence section its interesting reading. Faults on both sides

https://www.casemine.com/judge...ade5add7b04934744d2d

Posts: 178 | Location: New Stanton | Registered: January 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Dees:
A safe car is YOUR responsibility. Let the track give us a safe place to race. If you want a tech inspection, pay the _HRA tech inspector.

^^^^This^^^^

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
If the track or NHRA wanted they could find a BS reason to fail most everyone on the track for one thing or another. Expired sticker on flexplate or transmission case, antifreeze or what ever.

That does not do anyone any good and nobody wants that.

We have tracks that are narrow, rough, have short shut down areas, terrible lighting and steel guardrails but we going to fail a guy because the cert sticker has expired or came off on his flex plate? Seen some tracks that do not have ambulance on site. Which I thought that was a requirement. So if they were really looking for a reason to fail cars they could find something on most every car.

I have seen cars that are unsafe to drive due to chassis issues but it would pass tech. That car is still unsafe even if chassis sticker is current.

So my point to all of that is for the most part the Racers are responsible for the safety of their car and the track should be responsible for the track safety. Unless something is really obvious like no ambulance then racers should be responsible for their stuff and track responsible for the track. If the racers were really looking for a reason not to race at a track they to could probably find it to.

But lets just say they had really tough tech inspection on every car. The They would have to have a bunch of Tech guys and it would take an hour or so on every car. In the end we would pay for that in time and money. If the track had to spend thousands of dollars every week on Tech guys then the entry would have to go up AND Pay out go down. Plus they would probably lose some cars due to things like they do not want to recert a transmission case that has not been ran that much. They would lose cars (Money) due to people just not wanting to waste time getting tech and risk getting booted.

And lets be realistic here about seat belts, every two years requirement is a money scam by NHRA. I think it should be every 10 years or any obvious Fraying or Damage. I have seen some bad seat belt installations I would be more concerned about that that the date on them. Seen some bolts to a floor pan, seen some that go through sharp aluminum seat. Seat belts are important we know that and are not arguing that point. But every two years is a joke and a money grab. There is or was kickbacks on that for sure. Do not get me wrong I have my belts certified or replaced as per the rules but that rule is a raping. (Money) We all know it.

If really was about safety and not money then every car would be required to have a diaper and they would strictly enforce it. A bunch of cars have crashed due to oil and water from their car or someone in front of them.

All of those things are based on money in one way or another. The only reason a track or NHRA is involved with tech is because they do not want to get sued. (Money) That is also exactly why you have to sign a release. (Money)

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4019 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Makes you wonder how many tracks themselves would pass the minimum required safety inspection the sanctioning body or insurance companies require?
We know the medical crew requirements are sketchy at best and don't require an ambulance. Many tracks have a short turnout with an unsafe guardrail end that reminds you of Michael Waltrip's crash at Bristol. How many fire extinguishers at the track actually work and is there a minimum number? How many tracks are grandfathered in on guardrail requirements and couldn't get resanctioned if they let the sanction lapse?