DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Head & Neck restraints rule?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Head & Neck restraints rule?
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
Does anybody know the exact wording on who/what/ET/MPH is going to have to have these next year?

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4473 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
From what I understand any car in excess of 150 mph, driver is required to wear one.

Posts: 2433 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Geez, now days that's about everybody.....It seems that the NeckGen is the most user-friendly? My crew consists of .....me

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4473 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Beginning 1/01/2024, Head and Neck Restraint for all cars over 150 MPH or faster, or 7.49 or quicker.
Clarification that neck collar, head sock, or skirted helmet must be used with a head and neck restraint.

"So remember even with the Hans you have to still wear a neck collar or wear a head sock or have a helmet skirt installed". This is to help prevent fire from going up inside your helmet. For TD I found the helmet skirt the best option

Posts: 2433 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I like my head sock, helps keep the helmet clean.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5316 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Is it reasonably easy to put this shyt on by yourself? With a firesuit on, then getting into a dragster? Old guy in a kinda tight dragster

Dave

F J B

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I have a NecksGen and it's super easy to work with. Hardly even know it's there

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1474 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
Is it reasonably easy to put this shyt on by yourself? With a firesuit on, then getting into a dragster? Old guy in a kinda tight dragster

It is limiting when getting in for me. I use the necksgen. The sock was a pain so I put a skirt on and that seems worse for putting on. It's all kind of a pain.
I get improving safety. But driving this down further speed wise seems to lack statistical merit to me. But that is another topic.
I will say it doesn't really affect my ability to turn and look at the finish line. Which is a plus.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6412 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Necksgen and a head sock here. Necksgen is very simple, I clip it to my helmet when driving around the pits, hop in, slip it over my shoulders and put the belts on then clip to the helmet. That takes a very short amount of time to get used to doing alone but no big deal.

I like the head sock because I can wash it once in awhile when it starts to stand up on its own and the helmet stays cleaner with some protection from my sweaty head!

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
We (wife & I) use a Hans with a Head Sock. No need to put it on early. Get in the dragster, put on lap belts, sit and wait for the line to start to move, when ready I put on the head sock (which I like due to what 183 mentions, plus it stops the sweat from going in my eyes), lean forward, slip my Hans on over my neck, put my shoulder belts on, slip my helmet on, put on the clips.
DONE
It took my longer to write this than to actually do it IN my car.

Yes, it is any car going 150 MPH or faster

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I use the Necksgen with a headsock, I tried some others that come down lower on my chest and it was almost impossible to put on inside my cage.

I certainly do not want to have to put it on BEFORE I get in the car and sit around waiting in the Texas heat. So that eliminated several brands for me.

We could probably debate on which brand protects better but the Necksgen is easiest to put on inside the car that I have found.

Pro 1 Safety belts have a magnet option that can hold your belts up on the cage and that really helps. Stick them up on the cage where you can reach them them put on Restraint and do your belts and arm restraints.

It is easier to have some help to get belts over the shoulder pads on the restraint but can be done by yourself.

Just like anything else in a race car you need to practice, have a system and order you do it and be able to do it in the dark.

You need to have a plan for FIRE, Brake failure or stuck throttle and you need to know what to do and be able to do it quickly, on fire after dark and at high speed if you get in one of those situations.

A head and neck restraint is another thing you have to do to race but when you get one that works for you and you do it is order or system it is not too bad.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4032 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Is this for all classes, ie: SG, SST, SS, etc.? If so can I use a HANS and a neck collar?

When everything is coming your way, your probably in the wrong lane.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Larry,
Yes, ANY class.
If the car goes 150 or more you need a Head/Neck restraint.
It is NOT class specific, just MPH specific.

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response.

When everything is coming your way, your probably in the wrong lane.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I've only used it for one weekend so far, but I just kept the Necksgen attached to the helmet at all times. Put the lap belts on, then helmet/Necksgen combo, then put the shoulder belts on over the Necksgen. Seemed pretty simple.

I chose the head sock. Seemed easier to get that tucked under the collar of the jacket before putting the helmet on. Once the helmet was on, I forgot the sock was there.

Larry - I don't think a standard neck collar would be very comfortable along with the Head/Neck Restraint, but it is legal. (Edited my previous incorrect response after TomR posted the rule. Thanks, Tom!)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lenny5160,

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3162 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of CrewMan
posted Hide Post
What is the ET / MPH break for 1/8th?

"Some things are better left unsaid... usually it's the S**T I blurt out first.

Posts: 116 | Location: Loveland, Ohio | Registered: September 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CrewMan:
What is the ET / MPH break for 1/8th?

Beginning January 1st, 2024, A head and neck restraint device/system
meeting SFI 38.1 is mandatory for any vehicle running 150 mph or faster
for 1/4 or 1/8 mile or running 7.49 (*4.49) E.T. or quicker or by Class
Requirements. An SFI 38.1 head and neck restraint device can be used
with, or without, a neck collar; when a neck collar is not used, an SFI 3.3
head sock or SFI Spec 3.3 skirted helmet is required.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 743 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have a Necksgen and a Hans, I prefer the Necksgen for sure easy to use.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 990 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Scarth:
If so can I use a HANS and a neck collar?

You can use a collar but I think it would be very uncomfortable when paired with the necksgen. I hated the collar on its own (my wife says it’s because I have a short neck!). They do make smaller collars designed for the hans though, not sure who makes them, maybe hans themselves?

Also just read this on a HANS FAQ:

Can I wear a foam collar or helmet support with a HANS Device?

Yes. Note testing has shown that a foam collar, or helmet support, adds weight to the helmet and the head that must be carried by the neck. This increases the chance of injury. This added weight is carried by the HANS in a crash. Wear a foam collar for comfort, not safety related reasons.

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
https://necksgen.com/utv-helme...ontal-helmet-support

2", 3" and 4" thick helmet supports

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 743 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post