DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Maps/direction apps. For IPhone
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maps/direction apps. For IPhone
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
What map app are you guys using when traveling?

I have downloaded the Mapquest app, but am having some trouble with it and am looking for something else.
Apple Maps looks good as do several others. Anyone have one they really like?

Posts: 404 | Location: a race track near you | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Might want to consider Google Maps.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Rodney Pryor
posted Hide Post
Waze has worked really well for me.

Posts: 116 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I use Google maps but the problem with it is it will always take you the shortest route but not always the best easiest route. It took me down a dirt road once out in west texas to save maybe a mile and a couple stop lights

Posts: 2432 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rodney Pryor:

This^

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rodney Pryor:

x3

Posts: 715 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I use old fashioned paper maps and when I get close hit my Apple maps. Memory works pretty good if I been there before. I also have WAZE on my phone to look for trouble and detours

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of KWig
posted Hide Post
If your going to use it finding new tracks, download some RV/Trucker map apps.
GM and Waze, are great, but can suck for us towing, because it can put you in a pickle, at times. The normal ones dont account for trailers.

You have to put in the effort, to get anything out of it.

Posts: 736 | Location: Cumming Ga | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
If you use Google maps on a PC (not a mobile device) it will let you drag the route with your mouse to modify it. This works really good if you want to avoid a specific road or area, and lets you see just how many miles you added or saved with the modified route. I print it out old school and take it with me. Once I'm driving, I use Apple maps on my phone but I ignore the GPS when it differs from the tow-friendly route I printed on Google maps.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 630 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you use Google maps on a PC (not a mobile device) it will let you drag the route with your mouse to modify it.

This is true for MapQuest too. But my daughter told me MapQuest was old school year ago! Wink

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I use the maps app installed on the phone by Apple. Works great, never an issue....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1468 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FastLane
posted Hide Post
I believe Waze is powered by Google, just as many mapping services are.

I use Google but it does get me in a pickle at times. I guess i drive Too fast for apple. I pass intersections because they show up after I pass them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FastLane,

Posts: 395 | Location: Parked... | Registered: May 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post