DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    What’s the best shop creeper?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What’s the best shop creeper?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I was given 2 4x6 Anti Fatigue mats About 5/8 thick. Gave up the creeper long ago. Got stuck on a rock and was Pi**s. Was so mad about knocked myself out on a crossmember 4 stitches later on the Chrome Dome.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at the Magic Creeper. We use it at the track on the dirt car. There is a cheaper Chinese version if you're in to that.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
I always end up putting the tools on the creeper so I can put them all under the car at once or pull them out all at once.

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1219 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I was at Tractor Supply today in OKC and they had a stack of 4'x6' anti-fatigue mats (non interlocking), as well as a smaller size, if anyone's interest has been piqued on this thread.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
I bought a Bone creeper a few years ago. Used it a half dozen times and put it in the basement. Just found it very uncomfortable to use. The large wheels were good, but not the rest of it for me anyway. Paid alot of money for it and could only get $35 for it at a local racing flea market. Just glad the damn thing is out of my basement.

I've been using the normal steel frame padded creepers. Sears Craftsman ones the last few. The issue I've had is the casters just don't hold up. Frame and padding lasts just fine.

Wish I had bought one of the aluminum Kreepsters while they were still available a few years ago.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Magic creeper, no wheels to get stuck works pretty good, amazon.

Posts: 62 | Location: south carolina | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
I have a Summit Pit Mat that is 1.5” thick and is great for under the car especially at the track. I couldn’t imagine using a creeper and sliding around while wrenching. Even getting the creeper wheels stuck in a pavement groove could be a hassle.

x2. Love my Summit pit mat! I can sling it under the car wherever I need to, in the bed of the truck if I need to dig something out of the back of the truck, use it when tying down the car on my open trailer, or a mat to sit on while polishing wheels or something at the track... most of which are things you couldn't even use a creeper for.

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5734 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I am often under a motorhome or a van or truck. Not a lot of head room unless I jack it up or put it on drive on ramps...

I hate creepers and never use one....

I have foam pads that are about 2-3" thick and various sizes. I spread them out under where I'm working and they are great to lay on outside or inside.

They are cut from insulation that is used inside large generator enclosures. Black covering over foam. They are installed inside the enclosure to reduce noise.

I have some in my racecar trailer. Perfect for kneeling on to protect my knees and larger ones to lay on.

Only draw back is they absorb water if its wet out....open cell foam..

And they can melt or catch fire if your trying to mig weld over your head......been there, done that.....

Pavement or shop concrete floor is hard, knees don't like that one bit......back don't like it either.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
https://www.bjs.com/product/be.../3000000000000223209

These work great for me. I use them in the garage, out on the gravel driveway and always carry a couple to the track with me. When they get dirty, just throw them away.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 743 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
Not sure if it’s fancy enough to qualify as a Christmas gift, but Harbor Freight sells a creeper mat for around $25 that I love. It doesn’t roll but it’s perfect for sliding under a car real quick and for kneeling on. It’s cheap & I liked it so much that I bought another to leave in the trailer.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 630 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 369dragster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BD104X:
Not sure if it’s fancy enough to qualify as a Christmas gift, but Harbor Freight sells a creeper mat for around $25 that I love. It doesn’t roll but it’s perfect for sliding under a car real quick and for kneeling on. It’s cheap & I liked it so much that I bought another to leave in the trailer.

But Bill Snap-on sells the same mat for $80 Big Grin

Ken

Posts: 319 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
Well I gave Santa some suggestions....we will see what he brings me!

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
But Bill Snap-on sells the same mat for $80 Big Grin[/QUOTE]

That’s because the Snap-on driver is trying to put his kids through college... the Harbor Freight workers kids will just go work at the Nike factory.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 630 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Truck mat, work mats $40.00. Had them for years. Won't burn when using them while welding. When they get dirty, I just pressure wash it off. Only problem is, as soon as I lay it on the floor my German shepherd lays on it.

Posts: 23 | Location: P.A. | Registered: February 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of fatpack
posted Hide Post
I use a creeper a lot, a few months ago I bought a Whiteside with 6in wheels. It was too tall and I couldn't fit my big a** under most trucks. I gave it away and got one with 4in wheels, works great. I spend a lot of time on the shoulder of the roads hooking up and removing shafts for towing. Not a big fan of working under a lift when doing shop work, my neck doesn't like being bent back like that!

Walt

Posts: 56 | Location: Sykesville | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post