DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    What’s the best shop creeper?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What’s the best shop creeper?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted
Wife wants to get me something, thought of a new creeper. Currently have an old wooden one. What do you all have and like? FYI, I am 270 lbs, so I need a big boy model. Already have plenty of cardboard, so looking for something with wheels.

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 57 Vette
posted Hide Post
I just bought two SNAPON Heavy Duty ones for my automotive classes. Not cheap,but are very nice.

IHRA ACDELCO Canadian Nationals
Top/et Iron man Champion Wink
Don Davis 57 Corvette Super Gas roadster Cool
SDPC 582 Head Hunter on Alcohol

Posts: 268 | Location: Toronto Ont/Surprise AZ | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Tractor Supply has a really well thought out shop creeper. It’s recessed to give you greater clearance while working in confined spaces, has a thick padded head rest, two long recessed box areas on each side for tools or miscellaneous items, four heavy duty swivel casters and a slotted opening at the base making it easier to pick up.....$46.

Bob

Posts: 3085 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
I have never been able to use one. No matter how many times I try, I end up laying on mats under a car.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 743 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Reyer:
I have never been able to use one. No matter how many times I try, I end up laying on mats under a car.

X2. I usually use a carpet square. No matter how hard I try to use a creeper it just never works out.

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I fabricated a extension for my floor jack head that raises the car an additional four inches. That of course required me to buy four taller jack stands, mo money, mo money does it ever end?

I also fabricated an aluminum plate with “stops” on one end that attaches to the floor jack. It slides under the transmission pan making it easier to lift the transmission out of the car. With the jack extension and the transmission/jack plate I can pull then reinstall the transmission by myself.

As I got older I had to get smarter, ain’t the kid I once was.

Bob

Posts: 3085 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The BONE

Posts: 1259 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
The BONE

I'll second the BONE.

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 1355PRO
posted Hide Post
Rob I don't have one but this looks pretty nice...

https://www.northerntool.com/s...lEAQYBCABEgIovvD_BwE

Eric Macchiaroli
S/R1355 80 Arrow

Posts: 473 | Location: Glenshaw PA | Registered: February 25, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Since the girl friend is buying...lol

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
A lift or a piece of cardboard! I hate creepers and hate to use one. I have a Snapon if I do need one. If you don't have cardboard a Harbor Freight $4 moving blanket works good. I keep one in every car and in my trailer.

Posts: 1463 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
The size of the wheels should be your #1 priority. The larger diameter the wheels the easier they will roll over rocks, nut and bolts, etc. Nothing more frustrating than movement continuously being impeded by debris on the floor.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I have a Summit Pit Mat that is 1.5” thick and is great for under the car especially at the track. I couldn’t imagine using a creeper and sliding around while wrenching. Even getting the creeper wheels stuck in a pavement groove could be a hassle.

Posts: 2467 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I like my bone. Want to see a picture?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6411 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I got a craftsman for free but it is nice when I do use it.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Here lately one with handicap rail to get my old butt back up would be nice.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4193 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:

Lol, you aint right.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4026 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I hated creepers. Then I tried a co-workers creeper. Just a Matco plastic creeper, nothing special, orange, 6 wheels. Liked it enough to buy one of my own. A few months later I bought one for the house. I'd rather have a lift and at some point WILL have one since my back doesn't allow me to do much sometimes, but for now I can get by with the creeper. This matco creeper got run over by the truck the other day after I did an oil change and it still works fine. It's a little bruised but it still works exactly as it did before.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:

Lol, you aint right.

Big Grin

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6411 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, keep the info coming. Still don’t see a clear favorite.

I have a 10,000 lb lift, but when working on the motorhome, trailer or my backhoe, I still need a creeper.

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post