New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bye run question
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
If a car breaks in the burnout on the bye run, how is this handled?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
Should be just like a no show if it cant take the tree.

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 297 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted Hide Post
https://racesfg.com/rules/rules.pdf

Broke car changes:
Driver may change vehicles due to breakage while in competition with approval from the Race Director.
Once the vehicle has entered the staging lanes for the round, a broke car change is NOT permitted in
that round for that entry. Once in the staging lanes that vehicle must be used for that entry.
Once a vehicle is considered broken it can no longer be used in competition for that race. A vehicle may
be repaired and used in future races at that event or future events.
When changing vehicles, the vehicle must match the class in which the previous round was won.
Allowed Examples:
• Races Dragster round 1, wins, but breaks: switch to a different Dragster for round 2 and
beyond
• Races Dragster round 1, wins, breaks, but wants to switch to Door Car: must run Door
Car Re-Entry (at no charge) and then stay in the Door Car category for the remainder of
the race
• Races Door Car round 1, loses, and breaks: can run re-entry with either Door Car or
Dragster but must stay in that category for the remainder of the race
• Races Door Car Round 2+, wins, but breaks: switch to a different Door Car for the
remaining rounds

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I would say it all depends on who you are. Watched last night and still haven't figured that one out. If you were paired with another car I'm pretty sure you would have been on the clock to get it refired or the guy in the other lane would have had a break single. LMAO

Posts: 197 | Location: Corunna, Ontario, Canada | Registered: September 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I didn't witness it. Just read about it. House car I guess.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
bye run car breaks? Must break the beams for it to count..

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1394 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RacerVX54:

And it must stage under it's own power...

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Little slim on specifics in the official rules...

quote:
Bye Runs:
While separated the No Box, Door Car, and Dragster categories will each have a separate potential bye
run each round.
Bye runs are determined by best green reaction time from the previous round. Tiebreakers are: 1.
Green/Non-breakout package, 2. First to do it.
First round bye runs are determined by random draw for warm-up races and the first main race of the
event. Subsequent race day’s first round bye will be offered to the last remaining competitor from the
previous race.
If there is an even number of cars, the bye run will be paired with the last remaining car and the bye car
receives lane choice. If the bye run has to run another competitor and is not used it will carry to the
next round.
An entry can only get one bye run per race unless all remaining entries have had a bye run. A bye run
car may elect to just take the tree and back off the starting line after notification to the Race Director.
Competition Single Bye Runs:
Competition bye runs are awarded in the event that your opponent is not able to race. Competition bye
runs remain eligible for regular bye runs. Competitors are considered paired when directed past the
ready line at the head of staging. A competitor will be given 2 minutes after being directed past the
ready line, to start their vehicle and proceed to the water box. Past the ready line, a 30 second rule will
be utilized.

By the way, can we stop with the "hypothetical" discussions when you really want to talk about a specific incident????
We don't need to know how so and so or their uncle did it....get to the point.
Bye runs are ALWAYS handled a little differently between sanctions, promoters, and local operators.

I'm still only guessing that you are questioning an occurrence at the Friday SFG $50K ????
Give us a time stamp on the event in question and we can go watch it. Thanks!

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1649 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
quote:

Neither is specified on the rule sheet, although it's inferred with the option to just "take the tree". Change vehicle at that point? I'm racing my golf cart. Laughing Hard

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1649 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
quote:

I mean i thought it was a common rule. Nhra, Ihra and ever racing body around.

Neither is specified on the rule sheet, although it's inferred with the option to just "take the tree". Change vehicle at that point? I'm racing my golf cart. Laughing Hard

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1394 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I've seen where without objections from other racers, a bye run tripped by entering the competition number, and having the starter trip the beams with a foot.

Race director always makes the call.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Everybody wants a d a m n TROPHY

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I do wonder if all competitors would be given the same opportunity.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
Why h e l l no…

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
SFG Friday night

Kyle Coltrera breaks during a burnout on the bye run 6th round. Has to be pushed off track. Does not stage or take the tree. He is then allowed to go get into a backup car, and does a full burnout, then backs up and stages and runs the Bye run that he just broke on. The next round is the round of the big Split of the roughly $60,000 of remaining purse money, which he was now a part of.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
I've seen where without objections from other racers, a bye run tripped by entering the competition number, and having the starter trip the beams with a foot.

Race director always makes the call.

8 or 9 years ago I had the bye to the final at a local track, we were 15 minutes from a strict midnight curfew and was asked not to run and track manager did exactly that. The other pair made there run, winner topped off his fuel and drove up and proceeded to kick my butt at 11:59

Posts: 2426 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

House cars to the left, purse donator's to the right.

Posts: 1564 | Location: PA | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Harry's Taxi-2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by moparacer:
quote:

House cars to the left, purse donator's to the right.

That statement couldn't be more righter!......and they aren't even trying to hide it anymore.

"Trust the Plan"

Posts: 28 | Location: Newville Pa | Registered: August 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
so is the car entered or the driver?

Posts: 1238 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
They don’t watch it and they are going to spoil the big money racing pot.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo