DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    How To Beat Aggressive Drivers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How To Beat Aggressive Drivers
 Login/Join

DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted
I thought Rocky did a great job explaining this racing strategy. Hope it helps you.

Posts: 2112 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Nim Rod
posted Hide Post
Interesting watch. I've often had similar theories/thoughts on strategies of this nature, but never took the time to articulate them like this. I guess under this guy's definition I would be considered a defensive driver, but I never stage without knowing I can go all of my dial in and a touch more.

------------------------------------
Not Hot Rod, not Super Rod, not Quick Rod, but the one and only NimRod

Posts: 215 | Location: The Weeds | Registered: August 10, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Seems like going .00 and dead on would be a good plan regardless of who you are racing.Doing it is another story.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 442OLDS:
Seems like going .00 and dead on would be a good plan regardless of who you are racing.Doing it is another story.

That was going to be my comment. Go double o and put it dead on “somehow” and you’re going to win a lot of rounds whether the other lane is holding a bunch or not.

I did like the number line analogy as it’s a nice visual. I think about it that way in my head but never explained it like that.

Posts: 721 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The 3 Always things this racer stressed in the video. Know how to kill it, Put it dead On, Cover your RT.

Here’s another video of same racer with an analogy to prove a point. Start it at 6:50 into the video, about 2 minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qftXcN0F8cs

Posts: 2478 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I used to tell my son in jr's and now in the big car: All strategies work better if you had the better light. And call it what you like.....spot dropping....whatever.....know what getting rid of that amound is like and hold that consistently so you know it well.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6413 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
The kid is sharp and he really is a good racer. He is very analytical and knows what others do and their tactics.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4037 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Bottom line....
"stay in your lane and make a good lap"

Thanks Captain Obvious. Laughing Hard

Good presentation though, he gets it.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1676 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
This video was posted at the right time for my racing program!

I think I'm perceived as an aggressive driver & at times I can be. I get asked occasionally about holding numbers & I outright tell my opponents I'm always holding. Most of the time they question why I'm telling them. My reply is always, you have to figure out how much I'm holding. My holding numbers are situational according to different factors/considerations I use. Here's a couple of terms I will use in relation to the video: I have been known to be Stupid Aggressive to Defensive driver & everything in between.

Anyway, I realized from the video I've been lackadaisical on putting it dead-on the dial. That being said, that's going to be a priority until I get it back in check.

The reason I posted this is, because it could have cost me the win in the finals this past weekend. I did a crappy job of not putting it on the dial & that's a trend I've been seeing in my program.

I'm debating on posting the time slip, I don't like sharing them. My opponent critically analyzed the race as I did. He did a better job of trying to put it on the dial than I did, could have easily been a different outcome. Wink

I determined my hold numbers based on watching his semi-finals run & his change of dial for the finals. He was driving defensively, as I.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2568 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Nim Rod
posted Hide Post
So you basically fukked the stripe up and got away with it. It happens. I wouldn't beat yourself up too bad, you gave yourself so much room off the line you afforded yourself extra room and only left him .003 to get in, which he failed to do. I'd say nice lap and carry on.

------------------------------------
Not Hot Rod, not Super Rod, not Quick Rod, but the one and only NimRod

Posts: 215 | Location: The Weeds | Registered: August 10, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
It's tough getting older & still be competitive. Wink

I've always loved chasing, but I have to find a better way to kill some ET/MPH in these situations. I killed almost 15 MPH. Part of my issue(s) are that I've primarily been racing 1/8 mile since I switched to the ProCharged combo.

The video I posted in the No Time for Discussion thread goes with this slip, just for reference. Not that it really matters.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2568 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:I've always loved chasing, but I have to find a better way to kill some ET/MPH in these situations. I killed almost 15 MPH. Part of my issue(s) are that I've primarily been racing 1/8 mile since I switched to the ProCharged combo.

My car coasts very easy if lifting at my drop spot before the 1/8 mile timer and only reduces the ET by .02 at most.

Curios, would your car coast easier when lifting without a procharger (N/A) than with one? Same?

Posts: 2478 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Killed 3 mph, knew I better get behind, just couldn't find a window here. LOL

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1676 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
Curios, would your car coast easier when lifting without a procharger (N/A) than with one? Same?

M&M,

Great question & I have some rough data from this past weekend on Sat. I was cutting the throttle/coasting when my body was even with the 1000', it was .10 slower. While my N/A combo cutting the throttle with the front tire even with the 1000' was .13 slower. I'm sure we have to take into the different MPH of the combos. The current ProCharger tune runs out the back door @ 148-49 mph & the N/A was 132-133 mph.

I'm assuming that you think there is drag with the ProCharger when coasting. There's very little drag when you are out of boost but takes a good amount when making boost. Regardless, I need to re-baseline my drops & rips at various spots on the track.

There's a distinct difference when ripping the throttle between N/A & supercharged, the car makes serious quick moves when getting back on boost.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:I've always loved chasing, but I have to find a better way to kill some ET/MPH in these situations. I killed almost 15 MPH. Part of my issue(s) are that I've primarily been racing 1/8 mile since I switched to the ProCharged combo.

My car coasts very easy if lifting at my drop spot before the 1/8 mile timer and only reduces the ET by .02 at most.

My heavy, under-powered ride needs some brake pedal to make any significant ET change. Dropping late or whomping throttle through the speed trap only kills about .003-ish per mph, dragging the brake and not lifting on the throttle puts that to about .01 per mph, assuming the drop is going to happen at about the same spot.
If you need to kill a bunch, the 330' is the place where a quick whomp will get you a bunch.

The harder the car pulls at the finish line, the more the throttle can do.

Point being, the more power and lighter the weight, those ratios become much more pronounced.

As the almost always slower car parked at the finish line, I hate to let the other driver see the drop. Judicious use of the brake pedal is King. Wink

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nim Rod:
So you basically fukked the stripe up and got away with it. It happens. I wouldn't beat yourself up too bad, you gave yourself so much room off the line you afforded yourself extra room and only left him .003 to get in, which he failed to do. I'd say nice lap and carry on.

I got lucky & I very rarely mess up the stripe!

I'm pressing on with putting myself dead-on, it's a weakness I need to work on. I have to get it fixed soon for a big event(s). Along with one other item I need to peak at.

2BKING gets it. Wink
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
Wasn't it recently the opinion around here that racing with the brake peddle was cheating?

Dial it honest and drive it out the backdoor as I recall...

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1220 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Brake pedal, to me that was old school bracket racing & I rarely use it my strategy anymore. IMO there are much better ways to play the game. Race how you wish within the rules & explore/test what's not written in them.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hotrod Corvette:
Wasn't it recently the opinion around here that racing with the brake peddle was cheating?

Dial it honest and drive it out the backdoor as I recall...

Can't afford to leave .007-.008 or more on the table with your dial in these days, especially if you're leaving first.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
Brake pedal, to me that was old school bracket racing & I rarely use it my strategy anymore. IMO there are much better ways to play the game. Race how you wish within the rules & explore/test what's not written in them.

2BKING
Relaxing

Oh right...Lots of ways to skin the cat...I just used brake peddle when I should have said sandbag...LOL

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1220 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post