DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Is Instant Green a viable way to start a race?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Instant Green a viable way to start a race?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Nim Rod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
The level of safety crew and equipment on hand for 200 MPH-ish racing is way beyond the average track's capabilities.
All out fast bracket or index to 1000' maybe, but any mishaps at those speeds never end well.

I've seen the data and footage presentation that GM gathered after the death of Big E, and it's serious.
A 35 MPH collision (stop) generates enough energy to kill a properly restrained driver.

The speeds they'd be going wouldn't exceed T/D/S so I don't really see the issue. If you are competing T/D at a race, just as NHRA does at almost every divisional and national, then you can easily run a faster index class.

------------------------------------
Not Hot Rod, not Super Rod, not Quick Rod, but the one and only NimRod

Posts: 217 | Location: The Weeds | Registered: August 10, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've seen the data and footage presentation that GM gathered after the death of Big E, and it's serious.
A 35 MPH collision (stop) generates enough energy to kill a properly restrained driver.

After is the key word right there, AFTER the death of Big E we learned a lot and made changes.

That was in response to my statement about having a 7.90, a 6.90 and even possibly a 5.90 Super class. We all know NHRA is not going to do that and they are not going to get rid of timed throttle stops.
If they were to get rid of timed throttle stops and have faster classes I would try it, that sounds like fun. I have no interest in running typical Super classes as is. For those who like it great.

Back to the "Instant Green" I do not think it is a good idea for several reasons. 1. You can not react fast enough to really cut a good light, faster cars would cut better lights giving them and advantage. 2. I do not want to see guessing to hit the tree as the norm. There would be no consistency and more on luck. Adding the reaction time into your dial is just complicating and making it worse IMHO.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4039 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Nim Rod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Back to the "Instant Green" I do not think it is a good idea for several reasons. 1. You can not react fast enough to really cut a good light, faster cars would cut better lights giving them and advantage. 2. I do not want to see guessing to hit the tree as the norm. There would be no consistency and more on luck. Adding the reaction time into your dial is just complicating and making it worse IMHO.

Agree completely. I will still go run those events though, just to support sportsman racing, even at its most rudimentary levels. Besides, their money is just as green as everyone else's.

Posts: 217 | Location: The Weeds | Registered: August 10, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nim Rod:
quote:
The level of safety crew and equipment on hand for 200 MPH-ish racing is way beyond the average track's capabilities.
All out fast bracket or index to 1000' maybe, but any mishaps at those speeds never end well.

The speeds they'd be going wouldn't exceed T/D/S so I don't really see the issue. If you are competing T/D at a race, just as NHRA does at almost every divisional and national , then you can easily run a faster index class.

You posted the perfect phrase....they run those classes at Divisional and National events because of the extra safety crew and equipment on hand.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1676 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Nim Rod
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

The speeds they'd be going wouldn't exceed T/D/S so I don't really see the issue. If you are competing T/D at a race, just as NHRA does at almost every divisional and national , then you can easily run a faster index class.

You posted the perfect phrase....they run those classes at Divisional and National events because of the extra safety crew and equipment on hand.

Right, so they should totally look into adding them since safety stuff is already in place

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Right, so they should totally look into adding them since safety stuff is already in place

That would only dilute the pool of racers who are already there running the existing classes.

The people who don't race the throttle stop classes always have the most ideas on how to fix them or make them more appealing to spectators.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3165 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:

That would only dilute the pool of racers who are already there running the existing classes.

The people who don't race the throttle stop classes always have the most ideas on how to fix them or make them more appealing to spectators.

You may be right, and we all know it will not happen anyway so no use in arguing about it.

On the other hand it may bring a bunch more racers and spectators in to the classes which brings more money.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4039 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Nim Rod
posted Hide Post
@curly and that's what I'm getting at. There are too many people who are too obtuse to race against t-stops, it might make sense to give guys an option without them.

And for the record, I use one too, but just as often I run outlaw index stuff that doesn't allow them. I feel like I get a pretty good taste of both.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
On the other hand it may bring a bunch more racers and spectators in to the classes which brings more money.

Anyone who would come watch the Super-classes without throttle stops is already in the gate now to watch Stock, Super Stock, Top Dragster, and Top Sportsman. But nobody watches those either.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3165 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post