Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
quote:
If there are "house cars" that get an unlimited number of entries and buybacks, that pretty much reduces the paying customers' chance of winning pretty drastically.

Read that real slowly, then tell us how that works?
How does the financial dealings of the car in the other lane affect your performance?

No need to read it slowly, I wrote it and know exactly what it means. I don't race (and will never race) the so-called "big money" races because it's stupid. The racers are the ones putting up all the money. It's a sucker bet, for people easily parted from their money.

Good for you, winning attitude!
Now I have to wonder why your panties are in a wad over something you aren't interested in, and think is stupid. ????
Why you in on this topic?
Just FYI, I'll race anyone, anywhere, anytime for a pack of crackers or a trophy, but I love the competition of racing the best all in one event.
If you're skeeered, just say you're skeered.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1677 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The house car is added or subtracted after first round to result in a car count in the range of 20-24, 36-48, and so on. The objective is to have 3 cars in the semis every time.

Posts: 321 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: October 24, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
It's very simple math. If there are 100 entries, and I have two of those entries, my odds of winning are 1 in 50 (2/100), assuming my skills are equal to all of the other entries.

If the promoter adds 20 entries for "house cars" my odds of winning are now 1 in 60 (2/120), which is obviously not quite as good as 1 in 50. And the promoter now has a 1 in 6 chance of being obligated to pay out less, because 1 out of 6 (20 of 120) are his "house" entries.

And (this is VERY important) it costs the promoter ZERO to tilt the odds a bit more in his favor when he adds these "house cars." I guess if a house car ends up in the money, they have some agreement to split, but the promoter still wins when his entries finish in the money.

It's just simple math and statistical probability. Doesn't have anything to do with how good I am (or not), my panties, if I'm "skeered" or not, whether the car in the other lane is a paying customer or a house car, etc, etc. It's just simple math.

If there are any who don't understand that, I can't help you, but please be aware that the promoters who play the free entry/"house car" game are aware of your ignorance, and profiting from it Smile

Mike

Posts: 1566 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I am not ignorant of any of it, BUT I like to race like that, I CHOOSE to race like that, and I don't care WHO makes money or not.
What I don't do is offer my opinion on things I'm "not interested in", or think "are stupid", or call other people stupid for doing what THEY like to do.
Got it? Roll Eyes

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1677 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Been saying it for 20 years, I'm waiting on a track to offer pari-mutual betting on bracket races.....HUGE potential there.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
Let's look at it another way. As I stated before, the "big money" in big money comes from the entry fees and buyback fees of the racers themselves. The promoter isn't selling tickets to fans, or getting money from event sponsors (not to any significant extent, anyway). All the entry fees and buybacks go into a pot, the promoter takes a slice to cover his costs and make a profit (which I'm fine with, that's business) and the remainder goes to the purse. Racers are racing for money they collectively put up, no different really than a gambler's race at your local track.

BUT - when people with free entries and buybacks (house cars) join the race, they're racing for OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY. It's no different than somebody who didn't ante up walking away with the pot at a gambler's race. The promoter dials up a few of his buddies, puts them in the race, and they're in cahoots for a free shot at a healthy chunk of other people's money.

If that doesn't strike you as just plain wrong, I really don't know what else to say. As you state though, you should certainly do whatever you choose and enjoy.

Mike

Posts: 1566 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let's look at it another way. As I stated before, the "big money" in big money comes from the entry fees and buyback fees of the racers themselves. The promoter isn't selling tickets to fans, or getting money from event sponsors (not to any significant extent, anyway). All the entry fees and buybacks go into a pot, the promoter takes a slice to cover his costs and make a profit (which I'm fine with, that's business) and the remainder goes to the purse. Racers are racing for money they collectively put up, no different really than a gambler's race at your local track.

BUT - when people with free entries and buybacks (house cars) join the race, they're racing for OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY. It's no different than somebody who didn't ante up walking away with the pot at a gambler's race. The promoter dials up a few of his buddies, puts them in the race, and they're in cahoots for a free shot at a healthy chunk of other people's money.

If that doesn't strike you as just plain wrong, I really don't know what else to say. As you state though, you should certainly do whatever you choose and enjoy.

So what races had house cars? And who were they? How many of these house cars were entered?

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Hammond:
quote:

So what races had house cars? And who were they? How many of these house cars were entered?

https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/foru...5460652/m/1547091386

Mike

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
So who are these top tier drivers in these "house cars" that are willing to win a race for less money than they would have won if they entered the race?
HMMMM

Burt

Laughing Hard

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/foru...5460652/m/1547091386

That doesn't answer my question. which racers left that race? And how do you know that promoters of these big money races don't have sponsors putting in any money as well?

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
People might have more fun if they step out of their comfort zone every once in a while.

What about the racers that won their entry in a raffle? Should you race them if they didn't pay full price?

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Pro
Picture of BLIND MULE 2217
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgall:
The house car is added or subtracted after first round to result in a car count in the range of 20-24, 36-48, and so on. The objective is to have 3 cars in the semis every time.

You mean like some of the big races that have a car cap with a large buy back window to make it fall 9, 5, 3? Hmmmm........Forrest for the trees gentlemen.

Posts: 354 | Location: Opelika AL, | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Odd, no promoters comments.

Posts: 62 | Location: south carolina | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The Folks have promoted races for a long time, always had a bunch of their own cars racing. Never heard and gripes or complaints.

Posts: 30 | Location: Alexander, Il | Registered: December 03, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
House car in other lane. Don't think about it, no problem, just like the rest of the opponents. If you lose to the house car, you were likely to lose against someone else if it wasn't a house car.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mavman:
House car in other lane. Don't think about it, no problem, just like the rest of the opponents. If you lose to the house car, you were likely to lose against someone else if it wasn't a house car.[/QUOTE A man that has busted his a s s all year working 40+ hours a week an saved extra money to just make one of these races knowing that he really shouldn’t be going in the first place because the mortgage is due next week....I feel like his mindset is totally different then someone that is PUT IN by the PROMOTER OR SUGARDADDY...that driver has NOTHING,NATTA,ZERO to lose...he can just say F U C K IT it ain’t mine....WHOMP OUT....

Posts: 1263 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
quote:

That doesn't answer my question. which racers left that race? And how do you know that promoters of these big money races don't have sponsors putting in any money as well?

If you think these races are a good deal, knock yourself out. It's theft in plain sight, but go ahead Smile

Mike

DRR Pro
Picture of Jared
posted Hide Post
Just so everyone knows, when you pay round money, it doesn't help when the car count falls to 9,5 and 3. It just means you paid more round money in the other rounds. If it fell to 8,4 and 2, you would've saved some round money but paid it up with the extra semi finalist and 3 extra 1/4 finalists. It might not work out dollar for dollar, because that is based on how the payout is structured. Just wanted to make it clear that promoters who pay round money, are NOT trying to make it fall to 9,5 and 3.

Jared Pennington
Coalburg Racing # 1X
http://worldfootbrakechallenge.com
The Sportsman Drag Racing Podcast with Luke and Jed

Posts: 2025 | Location: Coalburg , Alabama | Registered: July 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

If you think these races are a good deal, knock yourself out. It's theft in plain sight, but go ahead Smile

No one is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to enter these races. Big money bracket racing isn’t for everyone. But calling it theft is just retarded. You pay to enter a race to win. Whether it’s a trophy or a million dollars. It’s all the same.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mavman:
House car in other lane. Don't think about it, no problem, just like the rest of the opponents. If you lose to the house car, you were likely to lose against someone else if it wasn't a house car.[/QUOTE A man that has busted his a s s all year working 40+ hours a week an saved extra money to just make one of these races knowing that he really shouldn’t be going in the first place because the mortgage is due next week....I feel like his mindset is totally different then someone that is PUT IN by the PROMOTER OR SUGARDADDY...that driver has NOTHING,NATTA,ZERO to lose...he can just say F U C K IT it ain’t mine....WHOMP OUT....

Who are to say what other racers financial situations are? If they want to sacrifice their mortgage payment that’s on them. You are just another person throwing out negative garbage about people that enter big money races.