DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    SFG to Enforce Excessive Braking at World Series and in 2019
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SFG to Enforce Excessive Braking at World Series and in 2019
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
We've handled this for nearly ten years and it's never been a viral "OMG the world is coming to an end!" internet-breaking topic. When there's an issue, we talk one-on-one with the driver, and in each case, the driver in question managed to take it a little easier the rest of the weekend. Make your car work properly within the conditions. Many of the drivers I have warned over the years have actually wrecked, at other events.

The reactions to this rule (which is only "new" insofar as enforcement, because it's been within the race director's purview in both NHRA and IHRA rulebooks forever) are blown out of proportion. This isn't anywhere near "You're not allowed to touch the brakes", which would be simply ridiculous. If you get a warning, you'll probably have a VERY good idea that you have it coming. If the rule concerns you *that* much in the first place, that's a pretty good indication that you should make adjustments.

One driver actually bothered to study his car and discovered a caliper hanging up. They fixed it, and the car stopped better, straighter, with less effort, and without doing anything stupid. Sliding ain't stopping. After they worked on it, the car just STOPPED. The driver realized that he was now even MORE competitive, and said thanks. A proper setup can kill more E.T., and do so in a safer manner. It's a win-win.

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5731 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
^^good post

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
OK I read 4 pages and didn't see it...

First, worst, or everyone goes home?

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1219 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hotrod Corvette:

Just said if braking excessively its a warning, then dq. Unless you crash then it's dq.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6395 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 67 Goat
posted Hide Post
Man, dropping the nose on a car weighing maybe 3000+ lbs on 4 inch wide tires going 2 or 3 times faster than you would on the street on tires twice as wide is iffy at best. No race win is worth destroying mine or my opponents equipment or life. There are some guys out there who are geniuses with the brake pedal, I'm not one of them so I don't do it. I don't know about anyone else, but I constantly remind myself that this is a sport, a hobby. It does not put food on my table or pay my bills. The money I win is a bonus. With that being said, if you beat me by hitting the brakes hard, you earned it. I'll enjoy a cold one while watching the next round.

Posts: 18 | Location: Delray Beach, FL | Registered: May 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Simple question..
Driver excessively brakes, gets the win light and get's DQ'd. Does the other driver go to the next round under the first or worse rule?

Posts: 1455 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Boucher Jr
posted Hide Post
Heres the bottom line. The vast majority of bracket racers wouldnt be able to drive their way out of a wet paper bag. The majority of crybabys on this thread will never stage on saturday at the million. Yet they cry anyway.

Now quit worryin about irrelevent shyt and head to texas to help shoot aliens. Im hoping they drop napalm bombs on the flat footed fucs but either way sure is gonna make for good live broadcasting.

Posts: 236 | Location: Il. | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of David_D.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
Simple question..
Driver excessively brakes, gets the win light and get's DQ'd. Does the other driver go to the next round under the first or worse rule?

The way it's worked at the track I race at is the opponent is reinstated and goes to the next round.

David Deming
1974 Chevy Nova Custom Hatchback
Horsepower Innovations E85 Carb

Posts: 325 | Location: Nampa, ID | Registered: October 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k107:
While the excessive braking rule could be subject to interpretation , I would think it would be common sense that if you crashed your car you should be disqualified . You certainly wouldnt need video replay to figure that out. I dont blame the racer for getting another car if he is allowed by the race director but really ,what were the Folks thinking? The rule was if your car is broke , not if you crash your car.
There are enough risks in the sport without this. Im very thankful no body was hurt. Next time may not be so lucky.
I agree with SFG 100% Roy Kinslow K107

Best post yet, I agree 100% not sure what kind of precedence the Folks were trying to set. Not worthy

Posts: 26 | Location: USA | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Drag Racer:
quote:
Originally posted by k107:
While the excessive braking rule could be subject to interpretation , I would think it would be common sense that if you crashed your car you should be disqualified . You certainly wouldnt need video replay to figure that out. I dont blame the racer for getting another car if he is allowed by the race director but really ,what were the Folks thinking? The rule was if your car is broke , not if you crash your car.
There are enough risks in the sport without this. Im very thankful no body was hurt. Next time may not be so lucky.
I agree with SFG 100% Roy Kinslow K107

Best post yet, I agree 100%...... not sure what kind of precedence the Folks were trying to set. Not worthy

Posts: 26 | Location: USA | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Boucher Jr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Drag Racer:

not sure what kind of precedence the Folks were trying to set.

The precedence of not turning the million into a snowflake festival or giving a shyt what a bunch of crybabys have to say.

Posts: 236 | Location: Il. | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
The Folks continue to bring the million to us all year after year...Thanks for your efforts to all involved with the arranging and putting on the million.

Easy to be quarter back when your not at the race. I am not a genius but the blue car looked broken after 6th round to me. My son clearly did not intend to crash the car. His opponent dropped as well without crashing...look at the mph of each car. We raced within the rules given. The Folks made a decision, the rest is now considered history.

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by Hotrod Corvette:

Just said if braking excessively its a warning, then dq. Unless you crash then it's dq.

But what happens when both drivers are "excessive"?

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1219 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of manny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
The Folks continue to bring the million to us all year after year...Thanks for your efforts to all involved with the arranging and putting on the million.

Easy to be quarter back when your not at the race. I am not a genius but the blue car looked broken after 6th round to me. My son clearly did not intend to crash the car. His opponent dropped as well without crashing...look at the mph of each car. We raced within the rules given. The Folks made a decision, the rest is now considered history.

You can’t be any more broke than crashing!!!

I personally don’t think this has anything to do with excessive braking. Race promotion is a business after all.

Manny Sousa

Posts: 475 | Location: bradenton, florida | Registered: January 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
^^^^^my man Manny nailed it!

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
quote:
Best post yet, I agree 100% not sure what kind of precedence the Folks were trying to set.

quote:

One thing is for sure, the past weeks exposure to what happened has everyone looking at the rules and outcome including racers and promoters all across the country.

I don't think the Folks were setting a precedence, I think they were trying to abide and not change or configure the rules in the middle of the game. Rule state driver may change car if broke. It was broke. No rule stating excessive braking gets you DQ'd, didn't want to make one up in the middle of the game.

NHRA recently (this spring) adopted the rule allowing ALL Pro Category racers to get in a replacement during eliminations. I personally like this rule (Broke Car Rule), especially at the large entry fee formatted races. The cost to attend warrants this rule in my opinion.

Now the above being said, I think we have seen and will see other promoters continue to tweak their rules in order to keep our racers safe.

Folk Promotions when taking over from the late George Howard have continued to raise the bar in Big Bucks Bracket Racing. They had me bring the 1st Live Coverage of the MILLION. I orchestrated bringing Mark Walter and Motormania TV and multiple cameras first at the MILLION. The Burnout Banner, HUGE Appreciation Dinners, Live Interviews, Goodie Bags, Free Water and Beverages, NO CHARGE to crew members. The list goes on and on and the BROKE CAR policy can be thrown into that also. AS Torqin said... They continue to bring the MILLION to us year after year! 20 plus years!

With BracketRacesLLC, Loose Rocker, SFG, Folk Promotions and many more paying attention to the racers and putting together the structure for these MEGA Events, 2019 will only be better in my opinion.

SL...

Posts: 2108 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
In any form of driving (let alone racing) proper braking technique is to squeeze the brakes progressively harder so that IF road conditions or mechanical condition of the car makes one side grab harder than the other, you can modulate braking pressure with the brake pedal. Doesn't matter if your're driving your wife's Honda Accord, pulling your tow rig, road racing an Indy Car, racing a short track in a stock car, etc. A good driver squeezes the brakes using a technique allowing him/her to compensate and react.

Standing on the brakes as hard as you can and expecting/hoping/praying the car will continue in a straight line is...well...not all that smart. Especially, as stated above by 67 Goat, when driving a drag car with skinny front tires, loose or softly sprung front suspension, etc.

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom396:
Now THIS one is definitely excessive braking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXHeCpBAagA

Take care. Tom Worthington

Just curious, but Pete's nose of his camaro dropped just as far as Thomas. All things considered, could have been something on the track and/or parts failure, and Pete could have spun or even wrecked.. But noone wants to call him out.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:
Doesn't matter if your're driving your wife's Honda Accord, pulling your tow rig...etc. A good driver squeezes the brakes using a technique allowing him/her to compensate and react.

Standing on the brakes as hard as you can and expecting/hoping/praying the car will continue in a straight line is...well...not all that smart.

People rely on the car to do everything now-a-days. With ABS, Stability control, lane departure and collision avoidance systems in new cars, you can't expect them (especially younger drivers) to be able to react to a situation like you describe. Today, you are told to apply the brakes hard and drive thru it.

My Tundra has ABS and stability control. I can stand on the brakes and still make the turn. It will even apply the brakes for me if I try to take the turn to fast.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 739 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David_D.
posted Hide Post
It's pretty obvious that I'm in favor of an excessive braking rule and having raced for many years at a track that actually has a zero tolerance policy, I've seen how the rule is enforced. Over the years, there have only been a few instances where they have made errors in judgement with regards to enforcement.

That being said, I honestly don't have an issue with the situation at the Million because they don't have an excessive braking rule in place, and they clearly state that if you win and break the car, you can continue in a different car with the approval of the race director.

Randy did say on the Sportsman Drag Racing podcast that the break rule wasn't really intended for a wrecked car situation, however because it wasn't explicitly written on the flyer, he allowed it. Honestly, if it wasn't clearly written on the flyer he could have gone either way. What that decision does do is put them in a position where they will either clarify that rule on the flyer or make no changes at all allowing the precedence to have been set by the decision. It's their sand box, so I don't care either way.

David Deming
1974 Chevy Nova Custom Hatchback
Horsepower Innovations E85 Carb

Posts: 325 | Location: Nampa, ID | Registered: October 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post