DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    SFG to Enforce Excessive Braking at World Series and in 2019
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SFG to Enforce Excessive Braking at World Series and in 2019
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David_D.:
Pretty much anyone who's raced at my home track Firebird Raceway in Boise knows they have a zero tolerance for excessive braking. They've policed it fairly well over the years and yes, there have been mistakes made in the enforcement. That being said, anytime a human is the deciding factor, there will be errors made.

I drive the stripe like many do, and I've been bitten by this rule. In fact, I lost a Wally due to it. I learned my lesson, but that doesn't mean I don't use the brake pedal as part of one of the many strategies when driving the stripe.

I applaud SFG taking the lead by electing to follow the NHRA rule with regards to excessive braking. I may be challenging to enforce it, however, ultimately, I believe they will be successful.

I'm sure there will be several racers who don't care for the rule and elect not to attend, but I'm guessing the numbers will be minimal.

With the kind of money on the line at races like the Flings, Millions, etc. racers will adapt their driving styles or take their chances to be able to have a shot at winning this kind of money.

I'm also not in favor of re entry in a different car after a wreck. Breakage due to natural wear and tear is one thing, crashing and re-entry in different car is another.

I've never chosen NOT to attend a race based on rules in general, and I bet most other racers won't either.

clapping

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
No problem with the rule... but in order to truly enforce it and be fair about it then they need someone down at the finish line watching all cars the entire race... not just picking and choosing based on what they think they see from the starting line

Posts: 789 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
Originally posted by 235582:
No way to consistently police this rule. So is the same non-bias person gonna sit there and watch every vehicle come down the track and determine what is and what’s not excessive braking? What metric or tool does this said person use to make that determination? Sure that tire smoke and sliding is easy to recognize but a nice clean drop without any of those visual effects, what’s the rule on that? This is gonna be a totally subjective opinion without a standardized tool to measure what is and what’s not an excessive brake job. The mention of red lights and crossing the center line is a cut and dry rule, there is a standard to measure against, it’s not an opinionative call or rule. I’m not saying there shouldn’t be a rule to address this problem but it’s just gonna be hard to consistently enforce it. JMO

Yes you have some valid points but so you want to just burry your head in the sand!!!!

Whomp's idea is good but that isn't going to be an option at every race. Bottom line is pretty simple, something needs to be done before someone gets seriously hurt or worse! No getting around that fact. The race director has the final say and needs to step up to the plate and make some both easy and hard decisions when needed! That person may even make some bad ones, no one is perfect, but this problem needs attention and you have to start somewhere! Maybe someone like Bryan Balducci can way in here, he got T boned by a racer crashing from excessive breaking! I am sure he wasn't happy about it,,, and he could have easily been seriously hurt or worse in that mess. He was dinged up pretty good from that crash which had no business occurring and lost his car to boot!

I don't get out of the house much. Is there some way I can learn more about this specific incident? Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1231 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BLIND MULE 2217
posted Hide Post
SFG has motornania at all their races. If its a serious DQ type call that is made it shouldnt be a problem to get Mark to pull up the replay or scroll back through the video.

Posts: 354 | Location: Opelika AL, | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David_D.:
Pretty much anyone who's raced at my home track Firebird Raceway in Boise knows they have a zero tolerance for excessive braking. They've policed it fairly well over the years and yes, there have been mistakes made in the enforcement.

Had a good friend who got DQ at Boise this year in a consolation race this year.... He knew he did it and he wore it as a badge of honor.....

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I commend SFG for instituting this “excessive braking” rule in their races. They should also post this in LARGE BOLD PRINT on the flier rules.

I cannot accept racing strategies in bracket racing that could cause a car to become out of control based on how one uses the brake pedal “PRIOR” to crossing the finish line in an attempt to reduce ET.

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
SFG will struggle to enforce this rule, while I agree with the rule it will be very difficult to enforce without major drama.

EVERY bracket racer uses the brake pedal during a run when needed. Some have crashed, some may have not.

My sons crash was his fault, no one else's. This rule always existed, way too many chose not to enforce it. If he did NOT crash, this would not be a discussion.

My family's chain of events last week was within the rules of the race, with the promoters watching. Like the results or not, it was within the rules given.

Post the new rules up and let's continue to race. We will race within the new rules in place.

JMO

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of shooter66
posted Hide Post
Dead on tq...

Could we call it the SmokeFlake rule....LMAO

I always find it funny the ones who ***** the most about this are the ones who dont understand package racing and most times are driving cars that are way over their pay grade talent wise....Horsepower is cheap these days....Motorsports are dangerous folks...there is always golf.

www.BTEracing.com
M&M Chassis Craft
Mickey Thompson Tires

Oldani Motorsports Transmissions

Posts: 5287 | Location: Chitown  | Registered: February 28, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Boucher Jr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shooter66:
Dead on tq...

Could we call it the SmokeFlake rule....LMAO

I always find it funny the ones who ***** the most about this are the ones who dont understand package racing and most times are driving cars that are way over their pay grade talent wise....Horsepower is cheap these days....Motorsports are dangerous folks...there is always golf.

Well if 2nd round losers hittin the pay window didnt attract every snowflake with a 3 step this will def be the icing on the cake.

Think about it, we live in a world that encourages fuctards that cant even do a burnout without computer aided help to hop in a car and go 4.50.

If i need to use the fence to get rid of a cpl hundo extra that i cant get with the brakes alone, i should be able to without prosecution due to crying snowflakes that probably were the nerds on the block when they were kids that wore helmets and knee pads while riding their bikes like complete tool bags.

Posts: 236 | Location: Il. | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I don't get this issue at all especially in a dragster.if your foot brake pedal ratio is set up properly you can kill a ton of et without ever locking up the brakes.
the hand brake I set up aggressive for stopping only in conjunction with the foot brake.

if guys would take the time to set up their ratios properly this wouldn't even be an issue.

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Shooter and Boucher Jr said it best so far. Like I said earlier, show me a bracket racer that drives it out the back door every round and I'll show you a racer that's probably never won a race ! jmo

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Dq' s for driving the stripe and polygraph tests Lmfao!

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What is the polygraph test for? What do they hope to find ?

Posts: 493 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD6297
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Mitchell:
Shooter and Boucher Jr said it best so far. Like I said earlier, show me a bracket racer that drives it out the back door every round and I'll show you a racer that's probably never won a race ! jmo

But nowhere does the original message say everyone has to drive it out the back door.

Posts: 149 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
without solid video proof of smoke from the tires or the wheels locked up, dq' s for excessive braking will be hard to enforce without drama. too many opinions on what defines excessive braking. again jmo

SFG
Picture of whos next
posted Hide Post
Some of you guys are taking it waaaay wrong. SFG have been around since July of 2016 and The World Series of Bracket Racing next week will be our 14th race and in 14 races I've seen maybe 3 or 4 instances that would have gotten a racer thrown out but if a racer gets sideways and hes thrown out and he decides to never attend another SFG race I would rather lose a customer than to lose 1 life!!!

Posts: 245 | Location: Illinois | Registered: March 12, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:

My sons crash was his fault, no one else's. This rule always existed, way too many chose not to enforce it. If he did NOT crash, this would not be a discussion.

No, it's just this next time around. Your family is very lucky nothing but the car was really hurt.

No one likes changes but this one is good for all involved even if it hurts getting there. Drama is well worth saving some one's life which is what seams to get lost in these discussions.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
What we are talking about is a change in the rules for next year. As for this year no rules were broken and we all do what we can with in the rules to win as you should.
To say it is not fair to get into another car after a crash is crazy. That was a big money race and he was with in the rules and into big money. Of course he went back up there! Duh! I would not just load up and lose my chance at money and history.

Make rules for future if you want and enforce them but as for what has already happened that was completely with in the rules.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4005 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
disclaimer, I am not a fan of bombing the brakes, personally I wear out my timing chains whopping the throttle..

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
While the excessive braking rule could be subject to interpretation , I would think it would be common sense that if you crashed your car you should be disqualified . You certainly wouldnt need video replay to figure that out. I dont blame the racer for getting another car if he is allowed by the race director but really ,what were the Folks thinking? The rule was if your car is broke , not if you crash your car.
There are enough risks in the sport without this. Im very thankful no body was hurt. Next time may not be so lucky.
I agree with SFG 100% Roy Kinslow K107

Posts: 35 | Location: new jersey | Registered: January 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post