DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    SFG to Enforce Excessive Braking at World Series and in 2019
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SFG to Enforce Excessive Braking at World Series and in 2019
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I was reluctant to mention changing cars as it was allowed. BUT, you should never be allowed to change cars for whatever reason. I tried to once and got booted. It was their rule!

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Mitchell:
without solid video proof of smoke from the tires or the wheels locked up, dq' s for excessive braking will be hard to enforce without drama. too many opinions on what defines excessive braking. again jmo

In the Million at an earlier round a racer in the left lane locked up the rear tires hard enough that smoke was pouring off them and then went left into the wall crashing the dragster. This was showed in slow-motion replay by MotorMania after the crash.

Fortunately the women driving was ok, but they took her to the hospital to be checked and for observation as a precaution which was the right call imho.

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
I was reluctant to mention changing cars as it was allowed. BUT, you should never be allowed to change cars for whatever reason. I tried to once and got booted. It was their rule!

For the last few years the Million Flyer said you can change cars. I don't have a dog in this fight, but it is on the flyer.

Regarding the excessive braking rule. That's complicated. I suspect many of us have seen a rule like that abused. I've had people complain that I braked excessively but the only time I EVER had my car out of shape at the finish line was when there were rods hanging out of the block. One track (that I only occasionally raced at) used to issue my "excessive braking warning" when I came through the gate. The same track used to have an "official" go to the finish line every time Tommy Plott ran. I've seen Tommy win a BUNCH of rounds. I've seen him on the brakes a lot, but I've never seen him out of shape at the finish line.

I believe AJ,and the rest of the SFG bunch will do a good job policing, and enforcing the rule.

No one wants to go to a race where the rules are made up on the spot. Cory won the round in question at the million, and, according to the rules printed on the flyer he was allowed to switch cars. My hat's off to him, and his parents.

I don't (think I) personally know Chris (TORQIN) but I offer my congratulations to him, Cory and the whole family. Good job. I would have been upset if a rule would have been invented on the spot to prevent Cory from continuing in the race. It takes a tough person to crash like that, and get right back in a car, especially to be competitive.

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BLIND MULE 2217
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
without solid video proof of smoke from the tires or the wheels locked up, dq' s for excessive braking will be hard to enforce without drama. too many opinions on what defines excessive braking. again jmo

In the Million at an earlier round a racer in the left lane locked up the rear tires hard enough that smoke was pouring off them and then went left into the wall crashing the dragster. This was showed in slow-motion replay by MotorMania after the crash.

Fortunately the women driving was ok, but they took her to the hospital to be checked and for observation as a precaution which was the right call imho.

Im pretty sure the motor or trans let go cause it was near 1000ft when she started moving around and they had a lengthy cleanup where the car started smoking.

Posts: 354 | Location: Opelika AL, | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BLIND MULE 2217:
quote:
quote:

She kicked rod out

Im pretty sure the motor or trans let go cause it was near 1000ft when she started moving around and they had a lengthy cleanup where the car started smoking.

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Prime example. No smoke here.. NHRA.. Out you go..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVkB7PfkcCk

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:

But was it an example of excessive braking or something else gone wrong? Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1231 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Now THIS one is definitely excessive braking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXHeCpBAagA

Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1231 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:

She kicked a rod out

Ok, makes sense if in oil. They never announced what happened. Guess the diaper didn’t do its job.

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k107:
While the excessive braking rule could be subject to interpretation , I would think it would be common sense that if you crashed your car you should be disqualified . You certainly wouldnt need video replay to figure that out. I dont blame the racer for getting another car if he is allowed by the race director but really ,what were the Folks thinking? The rule was if your car is broke , not if you crash your car.
There are enough risks in the sport without this. Im very thankful no body was hurt. Next time may not be so lucky.
I agree with SFG 100% Roy Kinslow K107

Sometimes people can put into words EXACTLY what I was thinking.You nailed it!

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:

She kicked a rod out

Ok, makes sense if in oil. They never announced what happened. Guess the diaper didn’t do its job.

Well, a Diaper rule is one rule that I think all tracks should have and strictly enforced. I have seen too many crashes and people hurt that could have been avoided by a $100 diaper not to mention all the track clean up time saved.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4005 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom396:
quote:

But was it an example of excessive braking or something else gone wrong? Take care. Tom Worthington

Tom , you read this and tell me what you think.

http://www.dragraceresults.com...y.cfm?id=3579&type=2

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

I read it and still couldn't make a conclusion. He said he was dragging the brakes, but he also said further inspection showed a mechanical failure. Take care. Tom Worthington

DRR Sportsman
Picture of David_D.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J178RED:
quote:
Originally posted by David_D.:
Pretty much anyone who's raced at my home track Firebird Raceway in Boise knows they have a zero tolerance for excessive braking. They've policed it fairly well over the years and yes, there have been mistakes made in the enforcement.

Had a good friend who got DQ at Boise this year in a consolation race this year.... He knew he did it and he wore it as a badge of honor.....

Was that Chuck? I was the benefit of that round. He handled it very well. Hard to argue if you’re aware of the rules before you enter the event.

David Deming
1974 Chevy Nova Custom Hatchback
Horsepower Innovations E85 Carb

Posts: 325 | Location: Nampa, ID | Registered: October 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Kutsick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k107:
While the excessive braking rule could be subject to interpretation , I would think it would be common sense that if you crashed your car you should be disqualified . You certainly wouldnt need video replay to figure that out. I dont blame the racer for getting another car if he is allowed by the race director but really ,what were the Folks thinking? The rule was if your car is broke , not if you crash your car.
There are enough risks in the sport without this. Im very thankful no body was hurt. Next time may not be so lucky.
I agree with SFG 100% Roy Kinslow K107

One of the best post here so far!!

Posts: 526 | Location: Couch | Registered: January 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I read it and still couldn't make a conclusion. He said he was dragging the brakes, but he also said further inspection showed a mechanical failure. Take care. Tom Worthington

What difference does it make? Driver is responsible for the driving the the mechanical condition of the car.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6402 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Overdue.

First offense toss them but use video to prove the infraction. No buy backs and they don’t compete with another car......gone!

Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
quote:

What difference does it make? Driver is responsible for the driving and the mechanical condition of the car.

The difference would be whether it was an example of excessive braking or an example of mechanical failure. Either ends up with the same outcome, but I was wondering which case it was. Take care. Tom Worthington

DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
quote:
disclaimer, I am not a fan of bombing the brakes, personally I wear out my timing chains whopping the throttle..

I've given the stripe back plenty of times whacking the throttle like i knew what i was doing!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 206 | Location: texas | Registered: November 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 2doggs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David_D.:
Pretty much anyone who's raced at my home track Firebird Raceway in Boise knows they have a zero tolerance for excessive braking. They've policed it fairly well over the years and yes, there have been mistakes made in the enforcement. That being said, anytime a human is the deciding factor, there will be errors made.

I drive the stripe like many do, and I've been bitten by this rule. In fact, I lost a Wally due to it. I learned my lesson, but that doesn't mean I don't use the brake pedal as part of one of the many strategies when driving the stripe.

I applaud SFG taking the lead by electing to follow the NHRA rule with regards to excessive braking. It may be challenging to enforce it, however, ultimately, I believe they will be successful.

I'm sure there will be several racers who don't care for the rule and elect not to attend, but I'm guessing the numbers will be minimal.

With the kind of money on the line at races like the Flings, Millions, etc. racers will adapt their driving styles or take their chances to be able to have a shot at winning this kind of money.

I'm also not in favor of re entry in a different car after a wreck. Breakage due to natural wear and tear is one thing, crashing and re-entry in different car is another.

I've never chosen NOT to attend a race based on rules in general, and I bet most other racers won't either.

Several years ago I got a little aggressive on the brakes at Firebird, didn’t mean to lock’em up but it happened. The “rail birds” watching from the finish line turned me in. Fortunately, the rule is, track staff has to see it. I did get a very stern warning from the racetrack staff. I answered with “yes sir, won’t happen again. From that point on I changed my racing strategy. Let’s just say, I now have a gear drive in my car lol. Trust me I totally get how the game is played, but if if I didn’t mind crashing my junk I would be racing dirt track. So I guess what I’m trying to say is that I support an excessive braking rule.

Why do you ask, 2doggs racing??????

Posts: 43 | Location: Grand Jct., CO | Registered: October 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post