DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Non highway diesel fuel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Non highway diesel fuel
 Login/Join
 
DRR Trophy
Picture of BTR69
posted
I've read that some states, including mine, (NC), are planning to allow red dyed diesel ( non highway use) to be used on highways through the end of the year. I'm led to believe the red isn't low sulphur and may cause issues with the newer vehicles. Before I ask my earth mover friends for access to their fuel, I'm curious about any unintended negatives to it. Anyone know?


William Kilduff
1970 Barracuda
1968 Camaro X2
1968 Caprice
1964 F100
 
Posts: 458 | Location: Wilmington NC | Registered: June 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
My understanding is the red is just a dye so the feds can check it at the truck stops or pull-overs......the dyed red diesel is only to be used on farms (non on road use)...Red diesel doesnt charge roadway taxes so its usually a buck or two cheaper...


.
Dave



F J B

 
Posts: 10904 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I'm a retired fuel tanker driver. The red dye is added to regular diesel at loading. It is the same fuel as taxed on highway fuel, the dye is just an easy way for law enforcement to identify whether you've paid the tax. If you haven't, prepare for hefty fines.
Except for the situation currently present where the tax is temporarily waived.
 
Posts: 87 | Location: Erie PA | Registered: February 23, 2025Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by truckman:
I'm a retired fuel tanker driver. The red dye is added to regular diesel at loading. It is the same fuel as taxed on highway fuel, the dye is just an easy way for law enforcement to identify whether you've paid the tax. If you haven't, prepare for hefty fines.
Except for the situation currently present where the tax is temporarily waived.


This. When I looked into it a few years ago the red AG use diesel was not any cheaper.


https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion
 
Posts: 12529 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I ran it in my tow vehicle for years, even in Texas Curley, and it never caused any adverse effects to the truck. But that is illegal. Years ago I was at Mooresville and some kind of law enforcement came in checking trailers and fuel. Big fines came to a couple that had off rode in their trucks but lucky for me I had left the track when they came. It is a LOT cheaper.
 
Posts: 14083 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Non highway diesel fuel

© DragRaceResults.com 2026