September 30, 2026, 07:27 PM
BTR69Non highway diesel fuel
I've read that some states, including mine, (NC), are planning to allow red dyed diesel ( non highway use) to be used on highways through the end of the year. I'm led to believe the red isn't low sulphur and may cause issues with the newer vehicles. Before I ask my earth mover friends for access to their fuel, I'm curious about any unintended negatives to it. Anyone know?
September 30, 2026, 11:05 PM
imakehpMy understanding is the red is just a dye so the feds can check it at the truck stops or pull-overs......the dyed red diesel is only to be used on farms (non on road use)...Red diesel doesnt charge roadway taxes so its usually a buck or two cheaper...
September 30, 2026, 11:21 PM
truckmanI'm a retired fuel tanker driver. The red dye is added to regular diesel at loading. It is the same fuel as taxed on highway fuel, the dye is just an easy way for law enforcement to identify whether you've paid the tax. If you haven't, prepare for hefty fines.
Except for the situation currently present where the tax is temporarily waived.
October 01, 2026, 07:34 AM
Curly1quote:
Originally posted by truckman:
I'm a retired fuel tanker driver. The red dye is added to regular diesel at loading. It is the same fuel as taxed on highway fuel, the dye is just an easy way for law enforcement to identify whether you've paid the tax. If you haven't, prepare for hefty fines.
Except for the situation currently present where the tax is temporarily waived.
This. When I looked into it a few years ago the red AG use diesel was not any cheaper.
https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.
Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.
4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion
October 01, 2026, 08:49 AM
ferndaleflyerI ran it in my tow vehicle for years, even in Texas Curley, and it never caused any adverse effects to the truck. But that is illegal. Years ago I was at Mooresville and some kind of law enforcement came in checking trailers and fuel. Big fines came to a couple that had off rode in their trucks but lucky for me I had left the track when they came. It is a LOT cheaper.