DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    615 Dart 20 degree, tunnel ram, Enderle Injection, burned piston
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

615 Dart 20 degree, tunnel ram, Enderle Injection, burned piston
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Many have often said that a large cubic inch or even any motor making a lot of HP per cube is better on gas.

On lower compression motors and horsepower the alcohol almost always makes much more torque and power. That makes me wonder if there is just something off on tune maybe needs different cam, heads etc. ?

It has also often been said that with Nitro, or alcohol especially blown alcohol MUST have big magneto to light the fire.

Maybe this motor may need a Mag?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3992 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
Many have often said that a large cubic inch or even any motor making a lot of HP per cube is better on gas.

Not sure I agree with that 100%...Here's why:

https://www.sonnysracingengine...hp-truck-pull-engine

https://www.sonnysracingengine...sar-777-cu-in-1750hp

I don't know what the differences are between the two other than one is smaller and on alky, the other is bigger on gas....and the smaller engine makes more power on alky....from what I can tell both are very similar with the exceptions of fuel and fuel delivery.....so the argument of large cubic inch engines not working well with alky can be disproven....and back to my original question, if an engine is optimized for alky, not for gas, will it make more power on alky than the same engine optimized for gas? You cannot compare one engine just using different fuels because even different blends of gas will affect it...you have to optimize for the fuel you run....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:

Not sure I agree with that 100%...Here's why:

https://www.sonnysracingengine...hp-truck-pull-engine

https://www.sonnysracingengine...sar-777-cu-in-1750hp

I don't know what the differences are between the two other than one is smaller and on alky, the other is bigger on gas....and the smaller engine makes more power on alky....from what I can tell both are very similar with the exceptions of fuel and fuel delivery.....so the argument of large cubic inch engines not working well with alky can be disproven....and back to my original question, if an engine is optimized for alky, not for gas, will it make more power on alky than the same engine optimized for gas? You cannot compare one engine just using different fuels because even different blends of gas will affect it...you have to optimize for the fuel you run....

So how does a 750 plus CID motor with billet Hemi heads even remotely compare to a 615 with SR20 heads????????????

As far as this large CID not getting along with Alky are concerned, this likely came from everyone building bigger and stronger motors and got to a certain point where alky became an issue. CID has little if anything to do with it, it relates to HP/CID and when you get up around 1.8 to 2.0 alky can become a problem vs gas. Quantity and quality of delivering alky to produce this much power becomes major factors that need much more attention than gas combo's.

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Not sure if i buy the ignition story. The blown 555 i had with a 14:71 HH was lighting off all of the methanol i was putting in there with the same MSD7AL3 that's on this motor now. It was quite a bit more fuel inside the motor as it had upper and lower injectors, darn near exactly twice the fuel pump capacity, and never blinked or snorted with the ignition system i'm still using. Obviously a different combination but alcohol doesn't need a magneto from my experience.

I'm still thinking this is all about cam shaft selection combined with too tight of a converter and not enough gear. Still working on this damn motorhome so i won't have any info anytime soon. The current plan is to race it in a few weeks and see what happens.

Posts: 371 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Watch engine temp with these big engines on alky. I can tell you that mine was .04 faster by going to starting line at 140 degrees than the 160 that most alky users are used to. This is on a 632, 174X headed engine that runs mid 4.50s @ 1925 lbs.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 704 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
329L, same thing i've seen. Not sure where the idea that they make more power at elevated temperatures comes from. I've seen zero value if not a 5 to 10 hp drop going from 140 degrees to 160 to 170 range on the dyno. The thermostat opens at 170 so i couldn't get it to 180 degrees. Always put my stuff in the water at 130, try to stage at 140, 160 or so at at the trailer if everything is working right.

Posts: 371 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post