DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    In reference to my dragster axle life span thread
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In reference to my dragster axle life span thread
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Yes, Procharger.

To certify for under 6.00 one of the requirements is a floater. Not sure if there is a 1/8th mile ET requirement.

As you can see in my sig. I've been 3.70 with flanged axles, others have been 3.60's. We are testing the limit of these axles and tire shake just make it worse. I'll have a floater before I'm on the track again.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Wish I had Bender money so I could afford one too....lol

Brian I am sure yours would be less than mine since there is no 4 link and anti roll brackets to deal with

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
As an FYI, if you had a 2" diameter solid axle vs a 2" diameter axle with a 1" gun drill center you have only reduce the load capacity by less than 8% for the gun drilled axle!!!!! YES 8%!

Removing half the material and only reducing the strength by 8% seems like a decent trade, but is the weight savings worth weakening the axle by 8%?

I'm sure that is a user-specific question, but as a person in the market for axles for my bracket dragster, I'm genuinely curious if getting the drilled axles is a benefit. The cost is negligible, IMO.

How are you asking that question? For your typical bracket car or a 3.80 car? If it's the 3.80 car the answer is simple, neither, its needs a floater! For the bracket guy, well to each his own. I just posted that info since I'd bet many think a gun drilled axle is a good deal weaker than not when in fact there is not much difference.

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:
quote:
As an FYI, if you had a 2" diameter solid axle vs a 2" diameter axle with a 1" gun drill center you have only reduce the load capacity by less than 8% for the gun drilled axle!!!!! YES 8%!

300m is a good deal stronger than 4140. But that's not the entire picture. Both will work but the 300m will last longer. The closer you stress steel to yield per cycle, the faster it will fatigue.

Removing half the material and only reducing the strength by 8% seems like a decent trade, but is the weight savings worth weakening the axle by 8%?

I'm sure that is a user-specific question, but as a person in the market for axles for my bracket dragster, I'm genuinely curious if getting the drilled axles is a benefit. The cost is negligible, IMO.

I am certainly no mechanical / structural engineer but I would think that the type of metal would have an effect.

MW 4140 axles can be gun drilled a maximum of 7/8
The 300M axles can be gun drilled to 1 inch and have the same strength because the material is stronger.

So a solid 300M axle would have to be stronger than a solid 4140 axle I would think. How much I have no clue.
My car will run .100 or more under the new 6.10 index for TD so I cant see heavier axles making much difference in my ET so I went with solid. Just simply cannot afford that kind of coin for a floater right now.

Maybe NHRA will make a new rule in the future about requiring a floater. Not saying its right and I could be way wrong but I bet only 1 in 10 cars in TD have one right now.

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wish I had Bender money so I could afford one too....lol

Bender money?

I'm going to "float" a loan...………….. Falling of chair laughing

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

How are you asking that question? For your typical bracket car or a 3.80 car? If it's the 3.80 car the answer is simple, neither, its needs a floater! For the bracket guy, well to each his own. I just posted that info since I'd bet many think a gun drilled axle is a good deal weaker than not when in fact there is not much difference.

I have a reasonably fast bracket/Super Comp dragster. 4.65 @ 148 or 8.90 @ 182. I'm planning to upgrade my 35-spline stuff to 40-spline. Is there any tangible benefit to getting the gun drilled axles and lightened flanges? I understand that less weight is good, but what does that mean? .01 quicker, less stress on other parts to help them live longer, or??? Does that benefit offset the 8% weakening of the part?

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3159 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
There is a HUGE difference between a 3.80 dragster and a 6.00 dragster.
My car goes 6.00 BUT I only go 4.00's in the eighth.
My 60's are 1.00.

My wifes car goes .990 60's 6.90's in the quarter, 4.30's in the eighth.

Which one is harder on the axles?

Big Grin

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pentastarrail:
My 60's are 1.00.

Big Grin

Which car is heavier?

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
But what if the car has a 1.03 60ft runs 6.10 at 240 mph.
How would that effect what type of axle?

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
My point is 3.80's or quicker is a lot harder on parts, i.e. axles, than 6.00 (not including tire shake, etc).

Steve,
I would say you are good with a non floater. Don't get me wrong, do the upgrade if you want to (err on the side of caution is always good).
That's a nice ride.
Just curious, what do you run in the eighth?

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I have a reasonably fast bracket/Super Comp dragster. 4.65 @ 148 or 8.90 @ 182. I'm planning to upgrade my 35-spline stuff to 40-spline. Is there any tangible benefit to getting the gun drilled axles and lightened flanges? I understand that less weight is good, but what does that mean? .01 quicker, less stress on other parts to help them live longer, or??? Does that benefit offset the 8% weakening of the part?

From 04 through 16, I ran a set of Strange 35 spline axles in my dragster, ran 7.70's at first then gradually increase performance to 6.70's, form 10 to 16 it ran in the 6's. That's a S load of runs from 04 to 16! At the end of 16 I checked the axles (as I normally do) and they were twisted pretty bad, especially the short axle,, so based on your combo I'd say your good for a while with what you got, but upgrading is OK too,, I don't see any real difference in your combo using 40 spline gun drilled vs solid axles to either life or performance. And honestly, I'd check yours and if they are good I'd run them as long as your haven't shacked the tires a bus load .

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
My 60's are 1.00.

Big Grin

Is this a trick question Frank??

Yours by a long shot!!!! LOL

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
But what if the car has a 1.03 60ft runs 6.10 at 240 mph.
How would that effect what type of axle?

I will add this, slower 60's based on that ET can be a little deceiving as usually the initial hit is soften a bit to get the car rolling then the power hits so your still loading the drive train a good deal...

Got a data logger on the car ? If so what's the Acceleration G's in the first second? The higher the G's along with the heavier the car increases the load carried by the drive train.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Al,
Big Grin

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
My point is 3.80's or quicker is a lot harder on parts, i.e. axles, than 6.00 (not including tire shake, etc).

Steve,
I would say you are good with a non floater. Don't get me wrong, do the upgrade if you want to (err on the side of caution is always good).
That's a nice ride.

Car has gone 3.90 in the eighth on 24lbs of boost but with the new 6.10 index my plan is to actually turn the boost up and kill it down low with timing then run 6.10 with big speed out the back. Might work and might not but I am going to try and see.

Top38, your pretty spot on with you 8% analysis, I talked with a MW engineer today and with the 300M material axles he said LESS than 5% stronger non gun drilled verse 7/8 gun drilled. Of course also recommends a floater but feels I should be fine with a flanged housing and the 300M axles with 7/8 gun drill.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Steve,
That's a nice ride.

Car has gone 3.90 in the eighth on 24lbs of boost but with the new 6.10 index my plan is to actually turn the boost up and kill it down low with timing then run 6.10 with big speed out the back. Might work and might not but I am going to try and see.

Top38, your pretty spot on with you 8% analysis, I talked with a MW engineer today and with the 300M material axles he said LESS than 5% stronger non gun drilled verse 7/8 gun drilled. Of course also recommends a floater but feels I should be fine with a flanged housing and the 300M axles with 7/8 gun drill.

My 8% was based on assuming a 2" OD axle with a 1" hole, I had no real dimensions of anyone's axles, I just wing it!

By the way consider drive shafts in this deal also, lots of empty space inside those suckers!

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Al,
Big Grin

Frank

We went to the last PDRA race in VMP this year, nice time there! I wish these races were closer to us! You will have a ball running them! Just stay clear of Bender! Laughing Hard

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
It was great shaking your hand at VMP!

"Stay clear of Bender" Laughing Hard

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
In the photo of broken axel it looks like a Moser extreme duty axel.

Posts: 62 | Location: home | Registered: February 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of SST400
posted Hide Post
Strange Axles are 100% for sure gun drilled from one end to the other, the ultra light axels are further machined under the logo and the flange.

Last night Strange shared their new dragster modular floater housing they are unveiling at PRI. This housing is similar to their pro mod housings.

Colby
'07 Cobalt

Posts: 7 | Location: Noble, OK | Registered: June 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post