DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    LS engines, who is bracket racing an LS
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LS engines, who is bracket racing an LS
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Thx for responses!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
Does anyone know anything or have any experience with the Chevy LSXR 454? Supposed to put out 775 Hp or more.

I have only seen one LSX block and it was very nice. I'm not sure GM offers 775hp version. I lot of shops are building their own version with bigger cams and more compression. If you can afford the LSX block and LS7 style heads to go with it, it will be about bomb proof for a bracket motor.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 238 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1leg:
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
Does anyone know anything or have any experience with the Chevy LSXR 454? Supposed to put out 775 Hp or more.

I have only seen one LSX block and it was very nice. I'm not sure GM offers 775hp version. I lot of shops are building their own version with bigger cams and more compression. If you can afford the LSX block and LS7 style heads to go with it, it will be about bomb proof for a bracket motor.

This is the one I am talking about it was made by Chevy but has since been discontinued. The last price I saw was about $14,000 for the motor new from Chevy.
https://www.lsxmag.com/news/en...look-at-the-lsx454r/

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Since this topic came back to the top I will post an update.
After a lot of research and pricing every piece, I decided that for a 725 horse range bracket engine there was no advantage to an LS package. But, not to say it's not a valid option because it is. For me, at age 73, it was simpler to continue with the option where I have my most knowledge and experience.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1830 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Woodfin:
Since this topic came back to the top I will post an update.
After a lot of research and pricing every piece, I decided that for a 725 horse range bracket engine there was no advantage to an LS package. But, not to say it's not a valid option because it is. For me, at age 73, it was simpler to continue with the option where I have my most knowledge and experience.

I would agree with you Larry. The plus of the LS is for a budget guy looking to keep N/A HP under 650hp.

Meziere Tech.

Posts: 238 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Unless youre willing to use a turbo to make 725 hp. eBay turbos, completely stock engine with cam and springs. Can’t get much cheaper than that. The hard part would be ONLY making 725. As soon as someone figures out how to make a turbo car consistent enough to win a big money bracket race, the floodgates will open.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BJs Wild Ride:
Unless youre willing to use a turbo to make 725 hp. eBay turbos, completely stock engine with cam and springs. Can’t get much cheaper than that. The hard part would be ONLY making 725. As soon as someone figures out how to make a turbo car consistent enough to win a big money bracket race, the floodgates will open.

Shhh.
LOL. A single on an LS would make reasonable power and the LS's seem to be able to handle that level reliably. The turbo is the cheap part though. Honestly, turbos and consistency isn't really an issue. But we put those suckers on there, and like a bowl of potato chips, you just keep turning the knob, and fighting the consistency and reliability issues as you drive away from a good consistent setup. My small block setup will go 7.30's plenty consistent and I went rounds with it last year. But then 7.90's sound like a good idea, and 200 sounds like a good idea. LOL.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Glad this topic came up. I'm in the process of converting my Stocker into a carb'd ls bracket beater. It's a stock bottom end set up with a mild cam and nicely ported factory castings and port matched single plane. Like others have mentioned should be great low budget setup to run reasonably quick at 3100.

As far as the turbo set up in a bracket car. The potential is there. I have a 275 tire single turbo ls car that I've run locally the last few years in heads up events. But with some power pulled and a good cooling system I think they could work at a local level really well. Maybe not a double entry type deal. But mine one day just playing around being really conservative it went 5.86, 5.86, 5.88. Hoping next season I can get it back out and try it a little more.

Posts: 4 | Location: Aberdeen SD | Registered: September 15, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
440" LS Terminator X on ignition, 1050 APD alcohol carb
3500# Colorado
1.80 'glide
4.56 gear
28x9 radial
cal tracs/split monos
all stock body panels and interior minus passenger seat, all OEM glass
1.31 60' 6.28 @106 10.07@138

Posts: 63 | Location: youngstown, oh | Registered: February 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian McHattie:
3500# Colorado
1.80 'glide
4.56 gear
28x9 radial
cal tracs/split monos

10 second ls at 3500 lbs! In an suv

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
3500# Colorado
1.80 'glide
4.56 gear
28x9 radial
cal tracs/split monos

Brian, what heads do you have on that motor?
We run the "battleship" gray S-10 at QC in Mod.

Posts: 41 | Location: east central ohio | Registered: October 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbt352:
quote:
3500# Colorado
1.80 'glide
4.56 gear
28x9 radial
cal tracs/split monos

Brian, what heads do you have on that motor?
We run the "battleship" gray S-10 at QC in Mod.

Brodix BR7

Posts: 63 | Location: youngstown, oh | Registered: February 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
9.60 index race 3rdgen Camaro, 2575lb. Car has been 8.91@152 with a hyd roller. 416 LS3, stock block, ported LS3 heads, CID intake , 1050 carb. In 9.60 trim, I use a 750 dominator and still have .900 in a manual stop. Powerglide, 4.71 gear, 14-32 tire. 4800 2srep, 7000 shift, 7200 lights. On my 8th year on this shortblock. New LSnext solid roller 427 on the stand.

Posts: 5 | Location: Clovis, CA | Registered: January 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsfso59:
9.60 index race 3rdgen Camaro, 2575lb. Car has been 8.91@152 with a hyd roller. 416 LS3, stock block, ported LS3 heads, CID intake , 1050 carb. In 9.60 trim, I use a 750 dominator and still have .900 in a manual stop. Powerglide, 4.71 gear, 14-32 tire. 4800 2srep, 7000 shift, 7200 lights. On my 8th year on this shortblock. New LSnext solid roller 427 on the stand.

What's the mph on the stop crossing 7200?

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5 | Location: Clovis, CA | Registered: January 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:

6% at the stripe, that's working good.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
What about front motor plates, electric water pumps and accessory drive?
Any ls engines to seek or stay away from? What upgrades are needed? Issues with 7500+ rpm?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
quote:

Are you willing to share the Cam specs on this combo.

Meziere Tech.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Larry,
Could you check your e-mail when you get a chance?
Thanks

Posts: 41 | Location: east central ohio | Registered: October 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
wonder what it would take to stick a LS in my 96 camaro and run it injected methanol? Car is already being cut up for back half and full cage. A ls might be cheaper than hopping the LT-1 up some. especially after selling LT-1 and 6spd,if I can bring myself to part with 6spd.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post