DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    LS engines, who is bracket racing an LS
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
LS engines, who is bracket racing an LS
 Login/Join
 
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
They are kinda naturals for coil on plug and EFI, if you are up for a technical learning curve. I am learning about EFI right now, and hopefully will be better able to speak on its merits or lack thereof in a couple months of testing. As a DIY, the learning curve is pretty steep. Having someone as a reference to lead you through it makes it about 80% easier and faster.


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6413 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
I am looking forward to seeing the result of Larry Woodfin's LS build.
Any of you fellas ever check out the Engine Labs website? I subscribe to their free e-newsletters, and just today it noted that Nelson Racing Engines has built a twin-turbo 447 CID LS that puts out 1100 HP through mufflers, on pump gas. Not saying it would make a decent bracket engine. I have not yet read the article, I am guessing it is very pricey, and there is possibly not a single GM part in that build, but the HP number is still very impressive. Here is a link for anyone wanting to take a look:
EngineLabs.com 1100 HP Pump Gas LS


Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!
 
Posts: 1043 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Larry when it's time to get a cam talk to Martin Smallwood or Steven Balusik for camshaft they are experts. Embrace Daytona box they are great. If you have any concerns about setting up and programming Dennis King provides excellent customer service. Once you get comfortable with laptop it's a breeze. I used arp main and bead bolts. I like iron blocks better but that's just my opinion. I used high volume oil pump with .002-.0025 oil clearance and 10-40 oil. I know people are running tighter clearance and thinner oil for more power but that's where I felt comfortable for longevity of engine. You will love your ls
 
Posts: 3 | Location: New Alexandria,pa. | Registered: April 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Martin Smallwood or Steven Balusik for camshaft


what company are they with? contact information?


Larry Woodfin



 
Posts: 1836 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
pm larry


honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

 
Posts: 1416 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Contact cam motion and ask for Steven. Martin Smallwood Racing
 
Posts: 3 | Location: New Alexandria,pa. | Registered: April 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Coach
posted Hide Post
Larry,

I have been bracket racing an LS1 347 5.3 since 2002.

5.3 347 making 656 fw hp. high 6.40's to low 6.50's at 3050 race weight in the Texas Summer Heat.


02 Z/28 LS1 402 Bracket Racer

I live with FEAR and sometimes SHE lets me go racing!



 
Posts: 45 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: April 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Sportsman
Picture of FastLane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coach:
Larry,

I have been bracket racing an LS1 347 5.3 since 2002.

5.3 347 making 656 fw hp. high 6.40's to low 6.50's at 3050 race weight in the Texas Summer Heat.


Hey Cosch, what kind of induction do you run?
 
Posts: 397 | Location: Parked... | Registered: May 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Coach
posted Hide Post
I run the fast 102 intake & TB.


02 Z/28 LS1 402 Bracket Racer

I live with FEAR and sometimes SHE lets me go racing!



 
Posts: 45 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: April 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coach:
Larry,

I have been bracket racing an LS1 347 5.3 since 2002.

5.3 347 making 656 fw hp. high 6.40's to low 6.50's at 3050 race weight in the Texas Summer Heat.


It would be interesting to hear more on this combo, Like what heads and Cam you are running. What compression. Did you use a custom piston or off the shelf.


Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.
 
Posts: 241 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
I am looking forward to seeing the result of Larry Woodfin's LS build.
Any of you fellas ever check out the Engine Labs website? I subscribe to their free e-newsletters, and just today it noted that Nelson Racing Engines has built a twin-turbo 447 CID LS that puts out 1100 HP through mufflers, on pump gas. Not saying it would make a decent bracket engine. I have not yet read the article, I am guessing it is very pricey, and there is possibly not a single GM part in that build, but the HP number is still very impressive. Here is a link for anyone wanting to take a look:
EngineLabs.com 1100 HP Pump Gas LS


I don't know about the no GM parts thing. Lil brothers VW running 1.8L 6 cylinder making 750 HP with turbo and totally stock bottom end. He has started hurting parts lately but has lots of runs on it for stock 6 cyl. with turbo,not to mention some low 5's. New motor is being built stronger and bigger plus bigger turbo with 1000 to 1100 hp goal.
So 1100 hp out of 447 ci shouldn't be too hard.




America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.
 
Posts: 4203 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Larry Woodfin here is what my friends car did today won first race in sniper series this is engine I built
This is what my car did in the 330 today, it is ridiculous, the first few hit moved around on brand new tires then it just literally locked down and didn't move, thanks to wholesale transmission, Davis racing engines, rupurt alky carbs. For a leaf spring setup going 6.60s off the foot I am happy. Also 6.0ls standard bore engine 4 years in car never had valve covers off, change oil and filter only.
 
Posts: 3 | Location: New Alexandria,pa. | Registered: April 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
So how are the stock LS engines handling leaving on the trans brake? Will they hold up in a mild light car/dragster?


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6413 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jason Haley
posted Hide Post
It appears this is an older thread that's recently been bumped to the top, but I'll throw in my two cents:

I've bracket raced my stock bottom end 5.3 since 2013. In my S-10 that weighs 2960lbs with me in it, it's been a best of 6.86 @ 98mph with a mild camshaft, a single plane intake and a carburetor. Since I have two cars, I rotate back and forth between it and my Cutlass, so it's kept the passes down a little bit over the years. With that said, this 5.3 probably still has almost 1000 passes on it. Other than general maintenance (oil changes and spark plugs), I haven't really done anything to it. I did recently change valve springs, but the springs that were on the truck before had lost ZERO valve spring pressure. This is where using quality valvetrain parts (Brian Tooley Racing) really pays off.

I plan to build a 13:1 compression 6.0 this winter that should get the truck in the 6.20-6.30ish range if all goes well, and it's going to be way less cost than it would be if I tried to do the same with a standard SBC.

If any of you guys have anymore questions, feel free to call Brian Tooley Racing (my workplace) and the sales/tech guys would be glad to help you out.


Slow S-10
Slower Cutlass
 
Posts: 40 | Location: Smiths Grove, KY | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Haley:
It appears this is an older thread that's recently been bumped to the top, but I'll throw in my two cents:

I've bracket raced my stock bottom end 5.3 since 2013. In my S-10 that weighs 2960lbs with me in it, it's been a best of 6.86 @ 98mph with a mild camshaft, a single plane intake and a carburetor. Since I have two cars, I rotate back and forth between it and my Cutlass, so it's kept the passes down a little bit over the years. With that said, this 5.3 probably still has almost 1000 passes on it. Other than general maintenance (oil changes and spark plugs), I haven't really done anything to it. I did recently change valve springs, but the springs that were on the truck before had lost ZERO valve spring pressure. This is where using quality valvetrain parts (Brian Tooley Racing) really pays off.

I plan to build a 13:1 compression 6.0 this winter that should get the truck in the 6.20-6.30ish range if all goes well, and it's going to be way less cost than it would be if I tried to do the same with a standard SBC.

If any of you guys have anymore questions, feel free to call Brian Tooley Racing (my workplace) and the sales/tech guys would be glad to help you out.


Jason do you leave on the trans brake?


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6413 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Oh, and out of stupidity.....is the bell housing the same as gen 1 blocks? Will a glide bolt right up?


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6413 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
Oh, and out of stupidity.....is the bell housing the same as gen 1 blocks? Will a glide bolt right up?


Yes a Chevy Trans will bolt up, The same except for 1 bolt hole. However the tricky part is the snout on the converter may need to be lengthened about .250-.300" to register in the back of the crank. Most converter shop will know this. They do make a bushing to do this using the standard converter but I found that it didn't work in my application. I'm using a Meziere FPS174 flexplate and adaptor plate everything bolts right in using a standard Chevy converter dems.


Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.
 
Posts: 241 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
LS swap made simple.



 
Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1leg:
I'm currently building my first LS engine. The plan is to bore a 5.3l iron block out to LS1 3.898" bore. Stock crank, Stock gen 4 rods. Forged piston. ARP rod bolt, main and head studs. Hyd-roller cam with ported stock 5.3 heads with larger valves. Hoping to make around 500hp and keep the RPM below 6600-6800. It will have a carb and the MSD box. Should be on a dyno in a couple of months.



I realized I never gave a update on this motor. It was dynoed and installed in the Nova but the Nova has yet to make it to the track.

The motor made 570HP at 6800 but didn't nose over until around 7200. Been so long I don't remember the TQ number.


Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.
 
Posts: 241 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know anything or have any experience with the Chevy LSXR 454? Supposed to put out 775 Hp or more.


https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion
 
Posts: 4039 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 5 6  
 

DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    LS engines, who is bracket racing an LS

© DragRaceResults.com 2024