New
Find
Notify
Tools

10 years since
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
1/8 vs 1/4 racing & setups. A car setup for 1/8 will be faster than one setup for 1/4 running 1/8 with the same motor! Probably more than one would think also! MPH is HP and ET is how well you use it! So when looking at HP, weight and MPH are King when all other variables are equal.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LIZZARD:
I was told by a local chassis builder that he figures my dad is between 1870-1890 depending on how much he weighs.

Now we're getting somewhere, down from a high of 2050 lbs. Still 50-75 lbs. heavy at least. Just saying. Wink

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
ED’s car would run in the .30s with PAR standard 615’...but they will definitely slow down in the heat...

While I wish that were true, it’s not, low 50s is more realistic, maybe a high 40 in mind-shaft conditions
Ed with an aluminum block I guarantee it

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I never said 2,000 lbs or 2,050 lbs

Still a 615 over 1,800 lbs and more like over 1,850 that runs in the 30’s

Posts: 115 | Location: 2008 IHRA SSS No Box WC | Registered: June 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 369dragster
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
ED’s car would run in the .30s with PAR standard 615’...but they will definitely slow down in the heat...

While I wish that were true, it’s not, low 50s is more realistic, maybe a high 40 in mind-shaft conditions

That’s what mine runs with a steel block, big battery and bottle 1975lbs

Ken

Posts: 319 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
"So the weight of the driver means zero..."

I have to dispute that..weight is weight...I won't even get into sprung and unsprung weight.

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:

never stated that YOU did and most definitely LESS than 1850 lbs.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:

that was me liz. I guessed he was closer to 2000 than 1800. my apologies 1290. I often forget that a lot of folks have an aluminum block. one day I gonna get me one to.

ep

Posts: 763 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I'm going to Duggins tonight 1290. you want me to get you something that will run 30's in your car? last time I was there he was working on a 903.

ep-I will tell him to put it on my tab for you

Posts: 763 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
"So the weight of the driver means zero..."

I have to dispute that..weight is weight...I won't even get into sprung and unsprung weight.

Are you applying for a job with the media? Seams so since you have taken one sentence in my post to use it for your own purpose!
So to be clear, my point regarding those who state that there cars are heavy because of a larger driver is false with regards to overall weight of one car vs another! Bottom line is total weight, period! If this is not what you took away from reading my post it is because you were looking for something else, sprung or unsprung.

Here's a question from you since your a weight expert, if a car hit you here on earth at 100 MPH vs floating in space, would it hurt the same? You weigh zero in space!

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I was told by a local chassis builder that he figures my dad is between 1870-1890 depending on how much he weighs.

Now we're getting somewhere, down from a high of 2050 lbs. Still 50-75 lbs. heavy at least. Just saying. Wink

Pretty hard to get a dragster with a 280 # driver under 1850 lbs. Would involve lithium, no mufflers, maybe even a shorty. Especially if there is a wing and/or a bottle!

Posts: 102 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
What deck height are you guys running with your 615's?

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 705 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gxp7903:
quote:
quote:

Pretty hard to get a dragster with a 280 # driver under 1850 lbs. Would involve lithium, no mufflers, maybe even a shorty. Especially if there is a wing and/or a bottle!

I'm told Bruce Holland weighs about 275 and his dragster weighs 1830 going down the track and he's been 4.31 @ 158 with with a much bigger 20 degree engine

Bo Butner has been low 30's too in his new all carbon Miller car with again, a much bigger 20 degree engine.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Rodney Pryor
posted Hide Post
Bruce isn't 275 pounds. That's funny. LOL

And his engine isn't much bigger than the ones being discussed in this thread. This size of his engine and weight of his dragster have been shared before.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rodney Pryor,

Posts: 116 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
His engine is a 648 and Scott himself told me about 275

DRR Trophy
Picture of Rodney Pryor
posted Hide Post
OK. You win.

Posts: 116 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Of course I do, what part of the truth and the facts don't you like?

DRR Trophy
Picture of Rodney Pryor
posted Hide Post
What does "about" 275 mean? Anywhere between 200 and 300? Just saying...

And if you knew Bruce Holland - you would know he doesn't weigh 275#. But carry on...

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by gxp7903:
quote:
quote:

I'm told Bruce Holland weighs about 275 and his dragster weighs 1830 going down the track and he's been 4.31 @ 158 with with a much bigger 20 degree engine

Ed and all,

Most of your bracket dragster chassis weigh with pounds of each other no matter who builds them! Ya there are some that are lighter but these are purpose built deals and don't have the typical life span of a bracket chassis.

If you build a car from scratch and keep and eye on everything bolted to the chassis and use a carbon body you can build a 245" (+/-) with an BBC aluminum block that weighs dam close to 1600 lbs! Then add the driver.

Dan Page built a 250" car for Luc Angers who ran it in brackets and TD, it weighed under 1750 lbs with him in it! I'd guess he weighs around 150 lbs +/-. It had an all AL BBC with a sheet metal intake w/one carb and a rear wing and a carbon paint body. No sure about the battery since this car was built years ago and has been sold now for 2 or 3 years.

So I know it's possible to have a car that weighs under 1850 with a 250 plus driver! BTW a 615 weighs just about the same as a 665! Wink

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
it sure does and there are a few of those with 20 degree heads running 30s and 20s Be Right Back