DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Lithium Battery for Race Car
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lithium Battery for Race Car
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Didn't want to comment on the second battery thread.That thread has derailed.
Question is,I know they are extremely expensive, but they sure are light on weight.
Anybody running one? Any problems to be aware of? If we are talking 12v,is a special charger needed?Works okay with an alternator? Takes a charge really quick? Fire hazard?

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
ive been running voltphreaks 16v battery for years with zero issues... noting wrong with them in my opinion...

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1515 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I run one, a 12 v made by Antigravity.It's a group 26 and sits in the stock location. I've run it all of last year no issues using my elec fan between rounds. the battery is 26lbs lighter than a conventional type of the same size. The battery wasn't cheap it was about 370$ and then required a specific charger which was another 140$.
I do run a factory type alternator, 100amp the manfacturer told me there would be no problem with that as there is a proessor in the battery to protect it. Like I said there have been no issues with it I just hook up the charger between rounds.

Posts: 9 | Location: york pa | Registered: July 31, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:
ive been running voltphreaks 16v battery for years with zero issues... noting wrong with them in my opinion...

If I remember right your Dad runs the GoLithium battery?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4003 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Disclaimer. Not to derail the thread and have very little knowledge of lithium batteries. How much weight vs cost? I am pretty sure it is battery and charger to make change.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
yes go lithium for me,i will add on first start of day in really cool air they don't like it.two 8 lb. batteries no issues whatsoever

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1408 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We have used Go Lithiums for awhile. I ran one in my TS car and we have had one in the dragster for a few years. Only issue we ever had was not keeping up with the one in the Stratus, they fixed it fairly cheap. Yes ALL of them require a specific charger and if you run an alternator, which we do it also needs to be regulated. Ours are 16V and IIRC they can only charge to 17.75 volts max.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:

that's what everyone said until their car is up in flames Wink and 3 years ago I saw it with my own eyes on a TS car at VMP.

A Lithium battery was in Dave Connelly's/Gray's pro stock car several years ago that started a fire at a national event.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
We run the Altronics 16v Lithium. Have been since 2015. Very happy with them. Only Lithium with a 4yr full replacement warranty! Check them out, they help pay the bills around here.

SL...

Posts: 2109 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Scott, I have some friends, you know them that ran, past tense that battery too. Swore it was the best until they swapped to Go Lithium this past season.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The fire risk scares me. I haven’t decided yet if I’m going to go with a regular 12v lead battery or opt for a 16v lithium by go lithium or braille in the new build

I’ve watched some videos where they say the fire risk has been straightened out and there are fail safes in the reputable batteries, but I may give it a few more years

Posts: 789 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
i personally know several people who have had fire issues. one while he was pulling under the tower at VMP to go in the water box and one who had one go up in flames sitting in his garage.

ep-i don't care enough about saving 30# to take a chance on one.

Posts: 763 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I'm on the fence like racerdude2054. I'd like the 29 lb. weigh saving over my current XS D1600 and that 29 lbs. cost $2100 which is about $8,000 cheaper than swapping to full carbon body/panels for the same 29 lbs. savings but the potential for fire is still an issue regardless of what anyone says. But my shyt is well insured. Big Grin

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
I'm on the fence like racerdude2054. I'd like the 29 lb. weigh saving over my current XS D1600 and that 29 lbs. cost $2100 which is about $8,000 cheaper than swapping to full carbon body/panels for the same 29 lbs. savings but the potential for fire is still an issue regardless of what anyone says. But my shyt is well insured. Big Grin

My stuff is insured as well, but the time it’s taking to build something these days is something I won’t be able to get back

Posts: 789 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
agree and between your deductible and price increases you're still dipping into your pocket for thousands.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
anyone tried the xs line of lithium batteries? shows they have 1600 series thats same size as my boat anchor d1600 agm.

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
There is a risk of fire with any battery and all fuels. Especially in a crash where batteries can get crushed or shorted and fuel cells can break or leak. A standard 12 or 16 volt battery can surely start a fire if shorted. Also acid could be a problem in typical batteries so I run the AGM type. Little less risk there.

If I really needed to save weight I would consider the GoLithium as I have not heard of any issues with them. While they are a little more expensive than a standard battery it is not all that much more. Never heard of anyone having a problem with the Golithium brand.

If you have the right type battery charger you should be good but most of the manufacturers (and 16 volt same thing) will tell you that you have to run their charger.

The final point and I do not know how big of a problem if at all but with most lithium type batteries they work good until they do not. They go dead quickly with little warning.

I recommend running an alternator no matter what battery you run.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4003 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
of course you haven't heard, you're a club racer running at duck ponds competing with junk like yours and where a .100 bulb is killing it.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^Keyboard Racer, wearing his MONKEY...SEE...MONKEY...DO...HEADSETS while spewing shyt all over his keyboard. That's a FACT! ^^^

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2541 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
^^^Broke Dyck racer, who ain't done shyt nor got shyt worth talking about including his cutup 10 second shyt box with a procharger, while spewing shyt all over his keyboard. That's a FACT! ^^^