DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Carb or injection?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carb or injection?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
How long did you run the injection before swapping ? How much tuning ? On the dyno 76 pill made the most HP with injection but at the track it was pig fat and slow. I ended up with 92 pill at the track

Posts: 235 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
MFI vs EFI - Both work and unless your stop racing or love messing with computers and tune ups, go MFI. Way less complicated! Also try to find a failed EFI sensor when one goes bad at the track!

For EFI I carry a spare MAP, TPS, crank and Cam sync sensor. If the O2 sensor fails I can either change it out with my spare or switch to Open Loop and it still runs properly as my fuel maps are very close now. Those running Dominator can run two O2 sensors and just switch in the program. I also carry a spare injector.

I have spare MSD 7730 and a 6AL that plugs in as the Grid 7720 replacement and crank sensor.

The ECU’s are very expensive and I’m looking for a good used spare now that I know I’m staying with this system and not returning to MFI.

I’m only 80 runs into this new EFI system on methanol, and on paper it’s .02 faster to date from MFI. My first two runs on a good track were exactly the same as the MFI given the weather DA. I didn’t switch from MFI to EFI to go faster.

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C Hodge:
How long did you run the injection before swapping ? How much tuning ? On the dyno 76 pill made the most HP with injection but at the track it was pig fat and slow. I ended up with 92 pill at the track

Ran the injection for 4 years. It always ran fine. Ran injection on a different engine for about 4 years before that. Tuned the injection for optimal performance, very familiar and educated on injection. Received an APD gas carb and out of the box with no jet changes it was faster, beat the injections personal best by several hundredths right at bolt on

Posts: 794 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

Ran the injection for 4 years. It always ran fine. Ran injection on a different engine for about 4 years before that. Tuned the injection for optimal performance, very familiar and educated on injection. Received an APD gas carb and out of the box with no jet changes it was faster, beat the injections personal best by several hundredths right at bolt on[/QUOTE]

How was performance in great air vs really bad and average bs average

Posts: 75 | Location: nitrousville | Registered: January 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C Hodge:
As far as gas to alcohol it all depends on the combo as a sbc,24 degree BBC will almost always be faster on alcohol. 20, 18, 12 degree engines will always be faster on gas.

I disagree. My 665" 12* stuff picked up a full .2 at Bandimere going to alky injection. Best pass on gas was a 7.56. Best pass so far on alky injection is a 7.32....and both runs were in 9500+ ft. of DA......Only difference was going from dual 1295 carbs on gas to dual terminators on alky, and a timing change. Engine wanted 32* on gas, 36* on alky......

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1468 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post