DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    1.58 gear set in a powerglide for medium dragster
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1.58 gear set in a powerglide for medium dragster
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
there is more than one way to kill torque

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1412 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Exactly!

rusty…KNOWS

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
1.80 in every car I have, if you have a grid you dont need a different low gear IMO.

IF you hurt a trans during a race and you dont have a spare you will struggle to find a trans in the pits with that strange low gear in it as well.

May be worth a try...but the effort and expense possibly may over rule the results given.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I agree with tourque. Don’t try to reinvent the wheel. If you changed that much gear ratio out back and the taller tire with no change in ET, ya need to get in touch with your converter guy and talk about why that is. That’s where you’re missing it in my opinion.

Posts: 46 | Location: stonypoint,nc | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Ask the guy with the 4 link dragster, with a 585 running 4.30's n/a what he'd do.

That's who you ask. We already know these people will do.

He might not answer, but he'll be thinking "something different"

Trust me

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
if you have a grid you don't need a different low gear

Agreed. Programmable ignition makes it easy compared to analog with timers

Posts: 2462 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
As the fast guys here have pointed out , Takes a pretty stout piece to pull that gear. If you know how much power and torque you make just do the math. T X first gear X rear gear. If your converter person is good they can give you a multiplication number to factor in also. You’re giving up approx 500 foot lbs of multiplication from 1.69 to 1.58. Can you afford that?
Your car sounds like it’s good as it is.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4498 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Someone explain this?

How are you cutting / killing torque if you have the same starting line ratio?

You're not.

When I read this kind of comments, it makes me conclude we have people chiming in who don't comprehend how this works.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If you haven't run 1/4 mile in two years, chances are high you've had the wrong low gear for two years.

That goes one year, three years or ten too.

Sure, you can band aid it with digital ignition or 4.10 gears.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
He did not mention a rear gear change Mike. That’s what I based my explanation on.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4498 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
You’re way out of your shade tree mechanic league retard. assembling junk for your local naive and clueless street/strip crowd running combos from the 90s.

Meanwhile…

TORQIN…KNOWS!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
We've done all the low/ rear ratios working with 1450 HP 2240# Door car and our performance/ wins prove it. So have the dragster guys posting.

Raceless in California!

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I can work on anything drag race related.

Shouldn't you be breast feeding your driver? Smile

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I ended up with a 1.80 and 3.70 with big bubbas. This was a roots blown hard tail that rolled across the scales at 2050. I liked this the best as I started out at 1.80 and 4.10.

I went 6.30s at high 21x mph with the 1.80/4.10 with 18 degrees out at the hit. With the 1.80/3.70 I went some 6.20s at 225 mph and had just a tiny check mark in the timing at 0.2 seconds and actually opened a lean out around 0.5 if I wanted to pick up a little.

That was with a converter that flashed around 6900 and shifting at 8300-8500 and fall back to 7100.

I had a 1.69 briefly with either 4.10 or 3.90 (can’t remember) and the car liked it but the gear set only lasted a year or so.

Just throwing out a little more data for you to ponder. For a 4.40 to 4.50 car, 1.80/4.10 should be the sweet spot but 1.69/4.10 would be a little tamer depending on the track.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The Hughes shorty PG hiding behind the Moroso box
is waiting on a gear set. 4 link Worthy I think it is goes 4.30's with 585 n/a power.

Guess which it's waiting on? It's not a 1.80.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
retard...

about your latest claim aka lie, again without a shred of proof, with out details as is always the case.

Meanwhile those that know, those that race a "medium" dragster as well those that race a much quicker TD have unanimously stated that the OP should be running a 1.80 gearset.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Probably don't titz, Till they get their azz tore out the frame rail by a n/a 585. Smile

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
you're fucing CLUELESS retard

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
No, it's you who is CLUELESS breast feeding your driver.

I learn a little daily, hands on anything drag race related. Smile

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
retard, did your mama not breast feed you? is that why you are gay and now fixated on men's bodies?

Again, retard no one with a clue would follow your advice especially when the conversation is real race cars no mind a dragster. Laughing very hard