DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    1.58 gear set in a powerglide for medium dragster
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
1.58 gear set in a powerglide for medium dragster
 Login/Join
 
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
You’re welcome and retard is heartbroken that you didn't follow his advice, after all who would know better than him with a mid 6 second cut up shytbox.
 
Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
4.30's with a 585 n/a 4 link dragster.

Think it's a 1.80? Think again.

Transmission Specialties has a 1.64 holding up and going 154mph @3200 lbs on radials.

It's rated for 2200 hp. Best I've seen next to the Sonnax gearsets. Heavy duty.




Meanwhile, back in the trailer park.

FTI 1.69




 
Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
 
Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
IMO unless you are pushing 2500 plus hp It is too high ratio for even lightweight dragster. Hey I have been wrong. Yea you can rub steeper rear gear and make it work,jusy not what I would do.

If you try it lets us know how it works.




America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.
 
Posts: 4133 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
IMO unless you are pushing 2500 plus hp It is too high ratio for even lightweight dragster. Hey I have been wrong. Yea you can rub steeper rear gear and make it work,jusy not what I would do.

If you try it lets us know how it works.


Big bore, 4.250 stroke, Big Chief's, Big stick, big power above 8000 rpm's, 7000 - 7200 - 7400 converter n/a, and 1.58 would be the only way to fly 1/8 mile crossing 8200-8300 plus.

If I had milk titties money in a dragster, that's how I'd do it. I'd never have my foot in it at the stripe anyway, so it would be plenty durable shifting 7900 or so.

This is a 585 along those lines, killer cylinder heads, big camshaft. It's a hot rod dragster.

Has nothing to do with weight, rpm is the limiter.

This is a FTI 1.69. I'm working on a 1.64 low transmission for it. It's in the works.





 
Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
A 585cubic inch engine using a 4.250 stroke crank would require a larger bore than your average aftermarket block would normally be bored to.

My math comes up with a 4.675 Bore would make it a 584 with a 4.250 stroke

4.625 is the usual max overbore that’s common

7000 plus converter......8200-8300+ at the stripe

Not your typical bracket racing type combination

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SCDIV1,
 
Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
IMO unless you are pushing 2500 plus hp It is too high ratio for even lightweight dragster. Hey I have been wrong. Yea you can rub steeper rear gear and make it work,jusy not what I would do.

If you try it lets us know how it works.


Big bore, 4.250 stroke, Big Chief's, Big stick, big power above 8000 rpm's, 7000 - 7200 - 7400 converter n/a, and 1.58 would be the only way to fly 1/8 mile crossing 8200-8300 plus.

If I had milk titties money in a dragster, that's how I'd do it. I'd never have my foot in it at the stripe anyway, so it would be plenty durable shifting 7900 or so.

This is a 585 along those lines, killer cylinder heads, big camshaft. It's a hot rod dragster.

Has nothing to do with weight, rpm is the limiter.

This is a FTI 1.69. I'm working on a 1.64 low transmission for it. It's in the works.






Crap, why not put 2.90's in the rear, direct drive with a cultch! If works for fuel cars, why not this, I am sure you could justify it for this combo!
Shake head
 
Posts: 2125 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
A 585cubic inch engine using a 4.250 stroke crank would require a larger bore than your average aftermarket block would normally be bored to.

My math comes up with a 4.675 Bore would make it a 584 with a 4.250 stroke

4.625 is the usual max overbore that’s common

7000 plus converter......8200-8300+ at the stripe

Not your typical bracket racing type combination


Definitely not but the point I'm making is, is that it's not the weight, it's the rpm's which limits.

I have no idea about the specifics of this engine combo, but it's along those lines. *Relative the norm* big camshaft and killer cylinder heads pro stock racing approach to going fast n/a.

We've never spoken of the specifics of the engine but I understand the approach. RPM is the limiter.
 
Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have no idea about the specifics


no truer words have ever been posted by conekilla
 
Posts: 1229 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 67TSCHEVY2:
quote:
I have no idea about the specifics


no truer words have ever been posted by


I built the trans blindfolded with one hand tied behind my back, you got outrun by.

No truer words have ever been spoken about a small cubic inch engine. Smile


 
Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Wrong again regard and Everyone with at least half a brain here is onto your bullshyt. Again, you have absolutely Zero first hand experience as to the OP’s question, this is way above your knowledge level. The adults in the room with first hand experience have spoken and it’s clear the OP should not waste his time nor $ running any other gear set but a 1.80.


Poor Ed and his pig 648 gets outrun by a little 585 and a 1.69 low gearset..




 
Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
That didn't take very long $$.


 
Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I do wonder if a car that is geared right for the finish line, but has some tire shake issues, would benefit from the lower slr. Instead of pulling power to avoid the shake. Maybe in the end it's a wash.


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6320 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Kick azz final round... Bad to the bone.


 
Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post



  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  
 

DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    1.58 gear set in a powerglide for medium dragster

© DragRaceResults.com 2024