DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Intake suggestion
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Intake suggestion
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted
I have a 555 with promaxx heads, here are the flow numbers.
Flow Data @ 28″ water
lift 200 300 400 500 600 700 800 900
Int 168 249 311 356 377 389 395 400
Ext 135 182 221 261 283 297 303 305
I have a roller cam 765/750 lift. I have a super victor on it. Is this the intake I should using or should I use a differant one? This intake isnt ported.

Posts: 214 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
If it were mine, it would have a Victor in it. That said, Swapping and porting manifolds is a waste of time and money for what you have and do. IF you saw anything on the time slip it would be less than a tenth and less than 1 mph

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Assuming you run carb,since did not state. There is some performance to be had from intakes. IMO Ed is correct about minor gains ET wise. Now if you want to see if you can get little more for amount you have to lay out money wise. GO for it.

If you want to try it on the cheap.Portmatch intake your self. Don't get stupid with polishing crap. Chad Spiers hse to be on here and swears rough surface done correctly will run quicker. If you want to get max out send intake to professional porter. JMO

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4160 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted Hide Post
What I was trying to see if what I had was to big for what I have or was it about right?

Posts: 214 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
There are several super victor BBC manifolds, which specific part number do you have?

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted Hide Post
Edelbrock 2927

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
You’re manifold is fine.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Novacaine:
I have a 555 with promaxx heads, here are the flow numbers.
Flow Data @ 28″ water
lift 200 300 400 500 600 700 800 900
Int 168 249 311 356 377 389 395 400
Ext 135 182 221 261 283 297 303 305
I have a roller cam 765/750 lift. I have a super victor on it. Is this the intake I should using or should I use a differant one? This intake isnt ported.

It's been a while since I have seen one of these but I'd say it's worth a gasket match and a quick runner cleanup which will show up on the ET slip for not a bunch of $$.

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I disagree Al. Been there done that numerous times and it was worth NOTHING on the time slip. A gasket match is the biggest waste of time, proven by the fact that I had a rectangular port intake bolted to oval ports heads that not only ran but ran quicker and faster. SCDIV1 should remember, he did the work.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
I disagree Al. Been there done that numerous times and it was worth NOTHING on the time slip. A gasket match is the biggest waste of time, proven by the fact that I had a rectangular port intake bolted to oval ports heads that not only ran but ran quicker and faster. SCDIV1 should remember, he did the work.

I hear ya, but every time I do one, it helps... Some intakes out of the box match up with CNC'ed head better than others also. Also as I remember that intake needs some help in the plenum to intake runner roof areas.
I will say this also, if the heads are the choke then you won't see anything porting it. In this case based on the flow data, the heads shouldn't be the choke. The cam lift is low though.

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Correct on all counts TOP..."only"a tenth or 1mph here and there start to add up.

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4440 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Wrong on every count!

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
BAWAHAHAHAHAHA......Just because you don't do it doesn't mean tweaking little things to go quicker and faster isn't a could thing edweirdo...

We will find out when you come out west soon. You've bought your engine, I build mine. So we can race heads up and see who knows how to squeeze out every horsepower from their engine. My little 540 should suck next to your big store-bought engine.....

Make sure and let me know when you head out. I'll want to reserve a suite for the celebration afterward.

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4440 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Says the clueless nobody that ain’t got shyt nor done shyt worth talking about.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Yes the Rectangular port intake on an Oval port BB head goes faster than the Oval port manifold.

I can't say that is true in every instance but on Ed' Chevelle it was...

Heavy car, footbraked....modest rpm

Generally the Oval port intakes SUC compared to the Rect. port.....

The mismatch is ridiculous but the ET slip doesn't lie....

I have port matched intakes and worked the plenum entries and top of runners on my own engines and I would say it is worth almost nothing...

Only issue might be if intake port was way bigger than cylinder head......a real trip point......That might show a gain....

Same with exhaust side.....waste of time and Jenkins liked a mismatch where the port was smaller than the header....

John Kasse is the man I have seen who did some real interesting things with ports and air flow on running engines...

That man is a genius....If he says it, I believe it.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Says the clueless nobody that ain’t got shyt nor done shyt worth talking about.

You may be absolutely correct eddie....Hurry out here and prove it.. Fingers Cross
You are coming out right? I know you're not a lying big mouth coward, are you eddie?

I mean backing down now would just prove you're full of shyt at least. Probably even worse then that..

See you soon.... Hurry Up

Dave

F J B

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
John Kasse is the man I have seen who did some real interesting things with ports and air flow on running engines...

That man is a genius....If he says it, I believe it.....

That struck a chord and I was able to find this old video of Kasse.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2323 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
A tenth of a second and 1 MPH can be significant. A few little numbers here and there start to add up and make a big difference.

I also think if you have a motor tuned to peak efficiency it will not swing as much in weather changes.

If you are not trying to improve your combination and driving why bother to race?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3961 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I have known guys who spent a ton of money on porting heads and intakes and saw virtually no improvement...

I'm not saying it's not worth the effort to try and improve what you have but gains are not always anywhere near what you might expect or hoped for.

I generally always work on my stuff when it's apart and like to try different things.....Intakes, cam's, carbs....

It's disappointing when a lot of work shows little or no gain....

If you ever raced a Stocker you know how tough it can be to find anything since you are limited in the engine modifications and parts used....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
We had a saying in Comp... if you were spending a $100 for 1/100th and you weren't .500 under the index yet....Quit !!

Dave

F J B