DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Intake suggestion
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Intake suggestion
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
Port matching your intake would take a saturday afternoon in the garage with some very simple tools you likely already have. It will cost you almost nothing. You can even have some buddies over and drink a few beers and goodtime.

You can say you did it yourself and if you don't pick up any ET or MPH you can tell Ed he was right and he will be happy!

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 239 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
We had a saying in Comp... if you were spending a $100 for 1/100th and you weren't .500 under the index yet....Quit !!

The 6 cylinder engine(s) that have been in at least 2 different cars and won I think 3 comp world championships was $125,000 to develop and build.....and they had more than one...

Billet block and head I believe......EFI....

Comp like some other categories is just out of control expensive....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's disappointing when a lot of work shows little or no gain....

That statement has to be exponentially true when you're a small pro operation.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The 2927 intake is the same I run on my 565....but the cam is close to what I run in my 427...765/714...

Posts: 262 | Location: Fayetteville | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
I have known guys who spent a ton of money on porting heads and intakes and saw virtually no improvement...

I'm not saying it's not worth the effort

I am. I can't think of a bigger waste of $ and effort in an attempt to better our time slips! Further, the fact that not one of these porters will guarantee any improvement on your time slip should tell you all you need to know.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
We had a saying in Comp... if you were spending a $100 for 1/100th and you weren't .500 under the index yet....Quit !!

The 6 cylinder engine(s) that have been in at least 2 different cars and won I think 3 comp world championships was $125,000 to develop and build.....and they had more than one...

Billet block and head I believe......EFI....

Yep they’re billet block and head, trick pieces for sure. As I recall he had to commit to purchasing multiple sets of heads and blocks in order to get them designed and produced.

Posts: 714 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1leg:
Port matching your intake would take a saturday afternoon in the garage with some very simple tools you likely already have. It will cost you almost nothing. You can even have some buddies over and drink a few beers and goodtime.

You can say you did it yourself and if you don't pick up any ET or MPH you can tell Ed he was right and he will be happy!

yea that will turn out good, a guy who doesn't have the right tool and has never port matched a manifold attempting it while his clueless friends watch as they all chug a few beers. Roll Eyes

That said, I know I'm right, so does Rich, so do the porters that will take your $ but won't guarantee you'll see .01 on the time slip after their magic but at least those ports and plenum will be shiny Roll Eyes

I have openly challenged any porter to put their $ where their mouth is and guarantee their work will show a gain of .1 and 1mph and I will pay DOUBLE their cost to fully port a manifold. NONE have or will take the challenge.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
With all due respect to all opinions on the mans question, It is all about AIR FLOW. ie, Volumetric Efficency. More air, more Fuel, = More H.P. JMO.

Posts: 39 | Location: so. ca. | Registered: June 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:

I have openly challenged any porter to put their $ where their mouth is and guarantee their work will show a gain of .1 and 1mph and I will pay DOUBLE their cost to fully port a manifold. NONE have or will take the challenge.

Hey, don't be betting money you don't have anyway...You have a race out here coming up in a few weeks...

Man, it's going to be great if you pu$$ out and not show up.... Losered

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1leg:

The biggest waste of time ever is "match porting" In reality for 75% of the engines it does nothing except sell chicken s hit porting kits.
The second biggest waste of time ever is anybody enticing, quoting or having a conversation with the resident azz hole.
You just keep him active by even having a conversation with it. It cannot be civil, It cannot have a sensible conversation, but yet go figure they dont get rid of it again. The douchbag must have threatened them with a lawsuit.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Right

BAD NEWS KNOWS

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
A gasket match is the biggest waste of time, proven by the fact that I had a rectangular port intake bolted to oval ports heads that not only ran but ran quicker and faster. SCDIV1 should remember, he did the work.

This goes back a ways, so I can't remember for certain, but I was thinking Rich had done at least some matching of the ports on your 468? (Not saying he did anything to the Intake, but my recollection was said he he did some grinding on the oval intake ports of the heads to help the transition from the Rectangle intake manifold)? I realize that is not the same thing as looking for improvement by porting the intake, but it certainly seems like it would make a difference vs. having a sharp step down in size from intake runner to port runner.

Apologies to the OP, and IMHO I do think your out of the box SV 2927 intake is fine for the heads on your 555.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1035 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
That manifold was first run out of the box. On the next rebuild, Rich did attempt to do some type of gasket match on that rectangular port manifold but it was still a huge mismatch when done, hence my comment that port matching is a waste of time and $.

Further, Rich gasket matched every manifold that was run on that 468 engine, 4 in total. Then in 2005 iirc, I had those manifolds fully ported and not one of them was worth .01 over Rich’s gasket match but they sure did look purdy Roll Eyes

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Full intake porting isnt a wast of time or money. It is apart of making the whole package its absolute best. What i can tell you, is that a conventional headed 632 needs all the help it can get. I would also believe that any head that could be considered small for the application, would benefit more from a ported intake than a setup that had plenty of head.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 706 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Again I disagree.

First, the Victor Jr on my 532 was fully ported from day 1, matched to the Brodix 3xtra heads. One year later, my friend had the same engine built by the same builder...Sunset with the same carb and converter but his Victor jr. was only gasket matched. His engine not only dyno’d within 7HP IIRC of mine but ran the same ET and mph as my Firebird.

Second, the Brodix Headhunter 622 engine in my dragster has an out of the box Brodix tall deck intake on it. I’ve had numerous conversations with engine builders and racers with the same combo, not one has seen anything on the time slip with a fully ported manifold to justify the $. Wilson manifolds was certain I would run quicker and faster once they fully ported my manifold for $2000 so certain they would not guaranteed it. Following that conversation I spoke to another racer with a Brodix Hesdhunter 632 that has Wilson fully port the same Brodix tall deck manifold I run and he confirm that at best it might have been worth .03.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1800gb:
The 2927 intake is the same I run on my 565....but the cam is close to what I run in my 427...765/714...

The cam was designed from Chris strube

Posts: 214 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Again I disagree.

No shyt....what's new and nobody cares if you agree with them....
You should be over at your storage unit getting ready to pull out for the trip out west, shouldn't you?

Dave

F J B

DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
From what I can tell by all the experts is that port matching will not help or hurt, and might be a waste of time. But it is up to the guy who owns the intake as it is his time and his money.

Me, I port match my intake to the heads, Why? because it makes me feel better about myself. Nope never tested don't need too.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 239 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
A few years ago my son wanted to run a flat hood on the ol Firebird so we had Larry at Brandywine cut down our victor dominator manifold almost an inch and he talked me into trying a lump he would epoxy in the bottom of the plenum. He promised me it would pick up our combo or my money back Roll Eyes

Well, I can guarantee you it picked us up well over a .10 and over 1mph. We had ran this combo for a few years with a cowl hood and a 3/4" spacer from the restrictor plate and all we did was the manifold and lose the spacer and it picked up a bunch !!!
When we got the manifold back from Brandywine I wanted to cry, it is by far the ugliest work I've ever seen. I actually called him back a bit pissed off and he assured me if it didn't run I could have my money back.
I wasn't convinced nor was I happy with the way the runners were not blended and were flat on the top so we "ported" it ourselves with a belt sander Roll Eyes
True story and I finally found a before and after pic to prove it's ugliness.
We just had the manifold off and noticed the epoxy was starting to flake a bit, so I sandblasted the edges and re-epoxied it to buy us another season or so. I may make one out of aluminum and weld it next time around.
I have no idea why it works so well but it does. And we can fit a big block and a dominator under a flat hood Razz

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
After our "port" job Roll Eyes

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post