DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Intake suggestion
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Intake suggestion
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Novacaine:
This is a new build. I have maybe 12 passes on it.
I checked my paper work. I put it in at 109. With a 105 in and 113 ext it has a 109 cl. I should have advanced it 4 degrees at 105. That might be the whole problem.

I bet so, behind a bunch more running too. I just did a hydraulic roller BBC engine. I had to cut the pistons max to get the cam in as advanced as I wanted it, Rollmaster timing chain too. That thing surprised me when I rained down on it the first time on the street. For a pump gas engine, it shocked the chit out of me. I advanced 5-6 degree's I was so scared it was gonna be a dud LoL. They always run good advanced a little, with a chain, seems like.

Actually, I remember now it was a 110 LS, called for a 106, ended up on a 102.50 - 103 ic.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The problem could simply be in your tuning...carb,jetting,timing or what ever the case may be.All the engines you have had over the years,never came close to expectations.It is not a coincidence that all those engines never performed.Maybe you should start looking for the same common denominator you have used for all those engines.Be it the same carb,distributor,fuel supply or what ever.On some of those engines,the combination of parts were more than adequate for better performance.

Posts: 262 | Location: Fayetteville | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1800gb:
The problem could simply be in your tuning...carb,jetting,timing or what ever the case may be.All the engines you have had over the years,never came close to expectations.It is not a coincidence that all those engines never performed.Maybe you should start looking for the same common denominator you have used for all those engines.Be it the same carb,distributor,fuel supply or what ever.On some of those engines,the combination of parts were more than adequate for better performance.

They seldom ever do off the trailer, out of the box cylinder heads. There's the common denominator, out of the box cylinder heads.

If he works on it, it'll come around.

I was just talking to a friend on FB with a 565, he's lighter than Novacaine, going 70's. second gen Camaro, racing as we speak SFG Bradenton.

1.26 60ft 119 120 mph.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The problem he have had was with every engine that have been in the car.Each engine have had different cylinder heads.The exact same heads I have on some engines.Even though there may be room for improvement,today,s out of the box heads perform very well....

Posts: 262 | Location: Fayetteville | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
1.26 60ft 119 120 mph
At that 60ft & mph ..He should be quicker than 70's......Sounds like it's laying down in the middle of the track.....

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
1.26 60ft 119 120 mph
At that 60ft & mph ..He should be quicker than 70's......Sounds like it's laying down in the middle of the track.....

1.98 low powerglide. Why? Beats me, that's what we were discussing on FB, why.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
The problem he have had was with every engine that have been in the car.Each engine have had different cylinder heads.The exact same heads I have on some engines.Even though there may be room for improvement,today,s out of the box heads perform very well....

I agree, this is a factory condition all steel Nova on a 10 x 28 bias, 427 sbc with out of box Brodix T1 233 3200 lbs. I built the engine & trans. It's a 5 second n/a car, no mid or engine plate, just a Nova with ladder bars. It went 5's off the trailer new. I suggested to Novacaine the approach's here, I took to exceed expectations. He's just gotta work on it a bit and PM me if he has a question. I'll be happy to help him. I like Nova's.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted Hide Post
I have ran brodix bb2 plus on all my engines. On 454, 496. They ran between 650 to 619 in a 3200 lb. Nova. With this 555 I used the promaxx heads and cam Chris strube recommended. I run a 1.76 glide.

Posts: 214 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Your first mistake was falling for the internet sales pitch of a non engine builder, non cam grinder, non racer.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted Hide Post
Chris Straub was highly recommended by a lot of people in a lot of websites that's why I used him.

Posts: 214 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Forum hero’s, Career test & tuners and NDMF

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted Hide Post
Then who do you think I should be talking to for a camshaft ?

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I know you should be talking to racers in your area that are a threat to win every race they enter. Guys like Tommy Plott and Scott Marcy to name two.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have ran brodix bb2 plus on all my engines. On 454, 496. They ran between 650 to 619 in a 3200 lb. Nova. With this 555 I used the promaxx heads and cam Chris strube recommended. I run a 1.76 glide.

I was talking about my FB friend running the 1.98 low powerglide. Not you.

I use Bullet Cams, and I don't know Straub, but I know he does build engines. The thing about this is, there's no reason to speculate on your current camshaft until you get the cam installed correctly, ya know its retarded now. You make your luck, you're not gonna make any out here pretending the cam is wrong when you haven't made an adjustment to it, since installing it. Anyone who does camshafts reading this, knows you haven't given the cam a fair shake. They'll take that into consideration when dealing with you. You wanna be known as the guy who'll do the effort for an innovative part sent to you. Otherwise you just get safe, low expectation parts sent your way.

You make your own luck with effort. It's all research and development, all it is. It's up to you to develop, by research. Advance the cam and look at the converter, if you pick up 200 rpm's of stall, you added 50 hp, observed.

If the converter goes 6200 on the TB, that'll be what it drops back to at the shift, this also tells me it'll only flash stall 6000 at the hit. Both are 200 rpm's short. It needs to flash stall 6200 at the hit and drop back to 6400 at the shift. If you shift at 7400 rpm's it needs to cross 7400 - 7600 rpm's - (gear). If you accomplish all this, most likely the time slip will match performance expectations.

Ed is name dropping for browny points as usual, you're wasting your time, he won't talk performance fundamentals.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I still have the BB2 heads on 3 engines...the 427..496..505....355 Darts on the 565...