Notify
Tools

CHESS....
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What races are Davis boxes illegal?

Lynn Ellison

Posts: 133 | Location: The Boat! | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Pirate:

Pretty much all of them. It's a traction control box.

Posts: 433 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Hammond:
quote:

Can you point me to where any big money race has that on their website or flyer where the Davis box is illegal?

Sorry I’m too stupid to find it on there.

Lynn Ellison

Posts: 133 | Location: The Boat! | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Can you point me to where any big money race has that on their website or flyer where the Davis box is illegal?

Sorry just to stupid to find it on there.

I haven't seen that one on any flyers yet. But since it's illegal in all of NHRA it pretty much is an unwritten rule so to speak.

Posts: 433 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sorry just to stupid to find it on there.

I haven't seen that one on any flyers yet. But since it's illegal in all of NHRA it pretty much is an unwritten rule so to speak.

But so is wearing jeans or shorts while racing a dragster and many do that

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Retarding timing isn't illegal. Feedback loops, or closed loop dot riding seems to be the nature of what they don't want. I think it is the right place for the line to be drawn.

So, if someone rolls in with one of the dozen or so common efi boxes.....who can check those? The jeanie is out of the bottle now. If you retroactively ban everything but approved boxes, you will cost racers thousands.

So again. Is having the capability illegal? If it is not a banned item? If it is not being used?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sorry I’m too stupid to find it on there.

When you see the words “Slew Rate Controllers Prohibited”, I believe this is to include Traction Control Devices without explicitly calling these out by name.

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:

But so is wearing jeans or shorts while racing a dragster and many do that

Would that include wearing cowboy boots ??

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
So after about 24 hours it has been determined you will get “the azz beating of your life” if you run either of those 2 MSD part numbers or a “slew rate controller”!?!?!

Lynn Ellison

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Although I don't use msd anymore, when the digitals first came out, I thought they looked pretty interesting and powerful tool wise. So I bought one with the most features.

Many months later...maybe a year, NHRA comes out with outlawing the box. MSD was not interested in a trade/downgrade. So I was stuck with a now illegal box that I was doing nothing illegal with. I ended up buying a legal digital 7 and using the other in case I needed a backup. Kind of a bad deal for a box that was not usable for me.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I thought it was a counter. Helped you determine track position.

I still think a device that can see the tree and let go of the trans brake for you would be much more helpful than being able to run dead-on.

What good is it to be able to and run on your number if you can't hit the tree? Certainly helps you make a decision at big end, or medium end since most of these races seem to be half track.........

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Beck:
quote:
quote:

I thought it was a counter. Helped you determine track position.

I still think a device that can see the tree and let go of the trans brake for you would be much more helpful than being able to run dead-on.

What good is it to be able to and run on your number if you can't hit the tree? Certainly helps you make a decision at big end, or medium end since most of these races seem to be half track.........

No Davis makes traction controls and bump boxes.

DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
Pirate has a legit point. And honestly with all the respect I have for the promoters and track operators out there, I've became more disappointed in the past couple of years in the continued "vagueness" of the rules and procedures at the events we are attending.

Not singling anyone out period! and I'm not on the oh its xxx and xxx you know it will be fair and right band wagon.

BS, we are paying what is now THOUSANDS of dollars to "fund / enter" these events. At least you can do is write the rules down and what will happen if something does happen prior to me rolling up to the gate.

IMO it's also came to a point where either the manufacturer representative or a 3rd party verification company should be on hand for the timing system. I'm way more worried about that fiasco than someone with a traction control. Hell I have (honestly) 42 time slips from my blue car at the SFG500 that you'd swear I'm cheating. And it's on gas!

The day of taking the tracks word should be long gone for race promoters in my opinion. You should educate yourself if you are one or have someone on hand who knows and be prepared to make it correct before any cars goes down the track. Changing set ups, tree variations, stage loc, etc in the middle of and event if just unacceptable in my opinion.

The "good oh boys" days need to come to an end as these entries become commitments! Don't put on your flyer racers "may" be subject to inspection. Post it and Earn your money and check them! And check the track! Do you think the guys you just paid 40k for track rental is going to say, ummm we have problems from time to time. NO!

I love bracket racing. I uprooted my family and moved 2000 miles because of it. Pulled my kids from their friends. Bought DRR to save it. Started Collector Tethers to be part of the industry. I'm not singling anyone out, I telling all promoters and tracks they CAN DO A BETTER JOB!

I'll be more than happy to elaborate on it all. If your a promoter or track and want insight call me! I've got time as most of you know I broke my leg in the shower this past weekend and have a little free time on my hands the next month or so!

SL...

Posts: 2099 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:
Pirate has a legit point. And honestly with all the respect I have for the promoters and track operators out there, I've became more disappointed in the past couple of years in the continued "vagueness" of the rules and procedures at the events we are attending.

Not singling anyone out period! and I'm not on the oh its xxx and xxx you know it will be fair and right band wagon.

BS, we are paying what is now THOUSANDS of dollars to "fund / enter" these events. At least you can do is write the rules down and what will happen if something does happen prior to me rolling up to the gate.

IMO it's also came to a point where either the manufacturer representative or a 3rd party verification company should be on hand for the timing system. I'm way more worried about that fiasco than someone with a traction control. Hell I have (honestly) 42 time slips from my blue car at the SFG500 that you'd swear I'm cheating. And it's on gas!

The day of taking the tracks word should be long gone for race promoters in my opinion. You should educate yourself if you are one or have someone on hand who knows and be prepared to make it correct before any cars goes down the track. Changing set ups, tree variations, stage loc, etc in the middle of and event if just unacceptable in my opinion.

The "good oh boys" days need to come to an end as these entries become commitments! Don't put on your flyer racers "may" be subject to inspection. Post it and Earn your money and check them! And check the track! Do you think the guys you just paid 40k for track rental is going to say, ummm we have problems from time to time. NO!

I love bracket racing. I uprooted my family and moved 2000 miles because of it. Pulled my kids from their friends. Bought DRR to save it. Started Collector Tethers to be part of the industry. I'm not singling anyone out, I telling all promoters and tracks they CAN DO A BETTER JOB!

I'll be more than happy to elaborate on it all. If your a promoter or track and want insight call me! I've got time as most of you know I broke my leg in the shower this past weekend and have a little free time on my hands the next month or so!

SL...

Getting the promoters to post what they deem is illegal shouldn't be all that hard to put on a flyer. NHRA has a list of everything that's legal and illegal. Some of these races have hired tech guys to do random checks. Most of them are members here and should take this very seriously. It's time to step up and post what racers actually think is being used and what is and isn't legal.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
For the record I have dabbled in NHRA racing a time or two and know the rules over there pretty well. Because of some awesome promoters and the bracket racers supporting them there are some amazing races coming up that I want to be part of.

I simply am asking what the rules actually are so I don’t get the “azz beating of my life!”
And, I don’t really care to take a knife to a gun fight because I think I know what the rules are.

Lynn Ellison

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Lynn the rules are vague but I have to say I have been grinning reading your posts!

Cool

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I simply am asking what the rules actually are so I don’t get the “azz beating of my life!”
And, I don’t really care to take a knife to a gun fight because I think I know what the rules are.

Use Analog ignition and they won’t look twice, guaranteed.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
For the record I have dabbled in NHRA racing a time or two and know the rules over there pretty well. Because of some awesome promoters and the bracket racers supporting them there are some amazing races coming up that I want to be part of.

The same rules NHRA uses are the same for big money brackets. Hopefully all of the promoters including the ones that post on here will step up and make some much needed changes to their flyers.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Richard, almost zero NHRA rules are used for Big Money bracket racing. Most people “assume” they are but they literally aren’t. Heck, the “Fling” franchise doesn’t even use the same type red light disqualification system of any NHRA race ever!!!

Thanks Richard you actually tried to help. I have figured out what I need to know. Thanks for all the help.

Lynn Ellison

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
"cheating" is definitely going on,lets face it the technology is out there..I saw someone say that the NHRA Rulebook was not a reliable source for using in big money bracket races..really? don't that rulebook apply to an NHRA sanctioned track where some of these races are held? Im not 100% sure on the wording but I believe that it says the Grid with the drive shaft counter (or the Grid itself someone correct me if I'm wrong) is illegal except for in Pro Mod,or any other traction control device. (one that would allow a car to run same number every time) I'm not sure if any of these races have those devices etc listed on their flyers under prohibited but even if they did would the promoter/track operator care or attempt to check? no probably not. I do believe at Peter & Kyle's races they are checked along with The MILLION. in my book any electrical technology device that would allow a racecar to run the same e.t. multiple times with any type track conditions, weather temps etc is not legal look at it like this: driver x is in the other lane and you are running him he has all those devices on his car and you have the basic racing type setup is that totally fair? ask yourself that. I for one would like the fairest shake especially if we are running for a lot of money. also I believe the ones that are "cheating" aren't wining these races they are purposely losing so they don't draw any suspensions to their selves. and if they are I don't blame hell more power to them because the track operators/race promoters are not checking it. I also think doubles should only be allowed with two different cars or drivers be allowed and if x number of cars go to buybacks instead of this re-entry crap I know my dad had (he still has it actually) a delay box checker (some of y'all on here may not have a clue what that is) in his car years ago when we ran Super Street and the tech people freaked out when they saw it and said to take it out of course he did and for those that do know what that is know its only operation. bottom line? is their "cheating"? yes can we do anything about it? we could but is it really worth it.. we choose to race in one certain playground and by their rules or lack there of if we do not like it we do not have to race there.

J.K. Hodges

Posts: 45 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: June 11, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post