DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    NHRA and electric vehicles
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NHRA and electric vehicles
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZ:
Should not take a sharp programmer long to make a drag mode. Setup for less than min. ET. WOT= X motor RPM in X amount of time = 1320' in same time every time. As long as the driver can stage the same every time and cut a light it should be much better than a Matty box, RPM chip,traction control or slew rates.

As long as you are talking technology, I am sure that it is possible (probably already being done) for a trans brake button to be released automatically (without a driver) resulting in perfect reaction times each time.

Combine that sharp programmer with the perfect reaction time and .000 and dead on zero should be more common than it is now I guess.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Sure thing Tom--- Wink

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 442OLDS:
quote:
Originally posted by AZ:
Should not take a sharp programmer long to make a drag mode. Setup for less than min. ET. WOT= X motor RPM in X amount of time = 1320' in same time every time. As long as the driver can stage the same every time and cut a light it should be much better than a Matty box, RPM chip,traction control or slew rates.

As long as you are talking technology, I am sure that it is possible (probably already being done) for a trans brake button to be released automatically (without a driver) resulting in perfect reaction times each time.

Combine that sharp programmer with the perfect reaction time and .000 and dead on zero should be more common than it is now I guess.
The light sensor to the tree has been done but one factor that is almost impossible to automate is the staging process. Even 1/4" affects ET and RT.

Posts: 109 | Location: NY | Registered: April 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZ:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AZ:

The light sensor to the tree has been done but one factor that is almost impossible to automate is the staging process. Even 1/4" affects ET and RT.

The "Bump Box" doesn't work?

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Matrix
posted Hide Post
This whole thing screams hacker lol. What happens when someone shows up to the track with an emp burst

Daryl Pinder

Dynasty Motorsports
www.dynastymotorsports.com

Posts: 456 | Location: Ft. Washington, MD USA | Registered: March 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Daryl,

According to a guy that worked at Dedenbear it’s already been done. Supposedly the guy had it in the tow vehicle. It shut the whole track down including the timing tower. Don’t know if it’s true. Just what I heard.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
So if you ever seen a big dollar bracket... I tend to see a whole lot of sub .010 packages and a lot of them are losing the round.

So how is an electric car going to get inside of that package round after round to win all the money all the time?

Where is this driver that can cut sub .005 lights all day every day at today?

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1219 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
EV motor temperature.

Years ago I did a lot of slot car DC motor R&D, and did the old fashioned way. Put an idea on the track and see how it reacted. I remember quite well putting a small duct in the body that directed air to the motor. If the motor got hot (and you could smell them if you were the only car on the track), the lap times would drop off considerably, the car was just a little sluggish. Stop, let it cool down, and lap times were back to normal. I did not actually measure RPM vs torque vs amp draw since we did not have the equipment-only lap times, and yes I'm aware that that could've been affected by other things; but why did it get sluggish?

There have been EV's run locally. Most of them are part of a niche group, and honestly they're fast. The problem lies in the batteries. They can't make round after round after round without charging, and it takes a while to get one back to a full state of charge, and takes a good sized generator to do it. I was impressed how quick they were!

There's plenty of problems to overcome, but I personally can't say whether they'll be "the wave of the future" or not--at least not in bracket racing. Lastly, racing (at least to me) is an experience...an EV with the faint whirr means nothing to me, the loud roaring V8 is part of the racing, IMO.

Give the EV's their own class.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Matrix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
Daryl,

According to a guy that worked at Dedenbear it’s already been done. Supposedly the guy had it in the tow vehicle. It shut the whole track down including the timing tower. Don’t know if it’s true. Just what I heard.

I wouldn't doubt it

Daryl Pinder

Dynasty Motorsports
www.dynastymotorsports.com

Posts: 456 | Location: Ft. Washington, MD USA | Registered: March 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]
Where is this driver that can cut sub .005
Why couldn't this same driver cut that same light in an EV???

Posts: 606 | Location: Lakewood, Co. | Registered: January 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SS427IMP:
[QUOTE]
Where is this driver that can cut sub .005
Why couldn't this same driver cut that same light in an EV???

That is my point... If the EV driver isn't that guy...he is just another guy and going to lose just as much as any other GOOD racer

Burt

Posts: 1219 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Here I thought the conversation was about electric vehicles....not their drivers.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
Here I thought the conversation was about electric vehicles....not their drivers.

Yeah sorry Bucky. Back on page two I did make the mistake of saying a great driver in one of these cars ....etc.. I did however contact the folks at the EV Drag Racing association.. waiting for a reply.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4504 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bucky
You know that I am making the point that the EV cars are nothing without a driver...All this crying that they are going to run the dial all day and night is BS...

Burt

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hotrod Corvette:
quote:

Bucky
You know that I am making the point that the EV cars are nothing without a driver...All this crying that they are going to run the dial all day and night is BS...

Currently, there are two parts to the race. The driver and the car. I'm just saying let's not make it one part. At that point all we need to do is have reaction time events on practice trees.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Is 8.12 impressive? Honestly I don’t know

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
No need to have an announcer on the Mic anymore. It'll be as quiet as a golf course.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post

Official: Ford Makes Gas-Scented Fragrance For Mustang Mach-E GT

https://insideevs.com/news/520...jeYx5CwubRuti5_y9ArY

Posts: 2963 | Location: Boon Docks, FL | Registered: March 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hate to get political,but depending on what happens in the 2020 election,the internal combustion engine might be on borrowed time.

That’s funny as almost every single post in DRR General is or has political bashing. Tip PC

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post