DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    NHRA and electric vehicles
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NHRA and electric vehicles
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T-TOWNSTANG7639:
I'm too young to know how people reacted to fuel injection and computer car vs carbs when they first became a reality, but were there this many tin hat wearing crazys back then??

Good god if your car doesn't repeat within a couple thou in similar weather now you aren't winning anyways.. if you guys think these things are just going to show up and run the number you're delusional.. sure they wont be affected by a 30 degree temp swing or a storm front rolling through changing humidity, but they'll have their own challenges to navigate that will be just as complex if not worse than yours.. they don't need their own class

Brad is dead on, there was electric dragster in Phoenix for a while he had the same problems as all of us trying to repeat dead on....Just saying

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J178RED:
quote:
I'm too young to know how people reacted to fuel injection and computer car vs carbs when they first became a reality, but were there this many tin hat wearing crazys back then??

Good god if your car doesn't repeat within a couple thou in similar weather now you aren't winning anyways.. if you guys think these things are just going to show up and run the number you're delusional.. sure they wont be affected by a 30 degree temp swing or a storm front rolling through changing humidity, but they'll have their own challenges to navigate that will be just as complex if not worse than yours.. they don't need their own class

Brad is dead on, there was electric dragster in Phoenix for a while he had the same problems as all of us trying to repeat dead on....Just saying

The technology in a Tesla is way ahead of anything out there As stated before, yes they have to cut a light, yes they have to hook it, yes they have to dial it and yes they have to run the number but the DA, temp, Hum, Baro and grains are out the window. That’s huge in my book. I’ll take the heat when I’m wrong! No big deal and Not the first time either... lol. Just give one of the new cars or even the EV Camaro at Pomona to a great driver and watch what happens.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4494 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:

I started racing in 1990 with my 1988 Firebird, EFI since day one. I have never raced a car with a carb......... That being said, few cared I had EFI, in fact, most shook their head and asked why? If you wanna go fast, put a carb on it. Well, this is now 2019 and I still have EFI on that car, plus the car I built for my wife and son. No one complains, we don't win enough! Smile

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I don't think any of us can say we are experts about how electric motors can and will be used in bracket racing. And that's kind of the point. If you make rules after racers have invested in set ups, you will lose those racers forever. it simply isn't fair to them. So the rules need to be specific about what is allowed for controls. Stuffing that genie back in the bottle is a tough thing to do.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6403 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Bucky, you can run a electric car in brackets right now. See a fee at different tracks.

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
As said before, my biggest concern would be can the safety crew handle a fire if one crashes bad?

Sure, they aren't affected as much by weather, but they are still affected by battery charge, motor heat, and controller temperature.

Posts: 73 | Location: park forest, il | Registered: October 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
I don't think any of us can say we are experts about how electric motors can and will be used in bracket racing. And that's kind of the point. If you make rules after racers have invested in set ups, you will lose those racers forever. it simply isn't fair to them. So the rules need to be specific about what is allowed for controls. Stuffing that genie back in the bottle is a tough thing to do.

Why do you assume that they will print time slips? One 100k car makes a 9 second pass and you automatically think it will win every bracket race it’s entered in.

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Hammond:
quote:

Why do you assume that they will print time slips? One 100k car makes a 9 second pass and you automatically think it will win every bracket race it’s entered in.

That's the point. It's unwise to assume anything here. They need to be in front of this to some extent with rules appropriate for the electrics.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6403 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Hammond:
quote:

That's the point. It's unwise to assume anything here. They need to be in front of this to some extent with rules appropriate for the electrics.

And what rules would that be?

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
And what rules would that be?

These rules...............

http://www.nedra.com/class_rules.html

Razz

Posts: 2963 | Location: Boon Docks, FL | Registered: March 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of botmbulb
posted Hide Post
If you build an internal combustion combination correctly, you won't move through daily weather changes either. Barometer should be your only concern, but it shouldn't move more than a point in 2-3 hours (which would only be about .010 in ET in the 1/4 mile). If the barometer moves more than that in 2-3 hours, you're probably not racing for long anyway. If done right, temperature shouldn't affect you, and water grains would have to change substantially.

If your current combination cannot do this, that is the place to start. Work the current problem, not a perceived one.

Posts: 490 | Location: Hammonton, N.J. | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by botmbulb:
If you build an internal combustion combination correctly, you won't move through daily weather changes either. Barometer should be your only concern, but it shouldn't move more than a point in 2-3 hours (which would only be about .010 in ET in the 1/4 mile). If the barometer moves more than that in 2-3 hours, you're probably not racing for long anyway. If done right, temperature shouldn't affect you, and water grains would have to change substantially.

If your current combination cannot do this, that is the place to start. Work the current problem, not a perceived one.
Maybe- for the same track on the same day. For any other track on any other day you're going to be changing jets, air bleeds, timing, etc. to adjust for the air. Otherwise, why would you even need a weather station or race computer?
I don't think you would have that problem with an EV.
Just off the top of my head I can think of over a dozen advantages to running an EV and only two or three drawbacks.

Posts: 606 | Location: Lakewood, Co. | Registered: January 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of botmbulb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SS427IMP: Maybe- for the same track on the same day. For any other track on any other day you're going to be changing jets, air bleeds, timing, etc. to adjust for the air. Otherwise, why would you even need a weather station or race computer?

Nope. Nothing needs to be adjusted for different air. If the combination is built in a certain way, temperature won't affect it. Then, you only need the weather station to look at barometer and water grains, and it's very easy to calculate what it will run.

Posts: 490 | Location: Hammonton, N.J. | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I should have clarified: If you're trying to run the same number every pass in different air you have to adjust for it.
No?

Posts: 606 | Location: Lakewood, Co. | Registered: January 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of botmbulb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SS427IMP:
I should have clarified: If you're trying to run the same number every pass in different air you have to adjust for it.
No?

Yes, for different barometer and water grains you would have to make changes to run the same number. But, there is no need to do that when it's so easy to predict the ET.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Bud you need to let the man know that you run an Oldsmobile and they CAN repeat run to run, day to day without adjusting anything---most of the time Wink

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Bud you need to let the man know that you run an Oldsmobile and they CAN repeat run to run, day to day without adjusting anything---most of the time Wink

Where is the "LIKE" button? Smile

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
LOL

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:

So that what he meant when he said "build an internal combustion combination correctly"

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 739 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Should not take a sharp programmer long to make a drag mode. Setup for less than min. ET. WOT= X motor RPM in X amount of time = 1320' in same time every time. As long as the driver can stage the same every time and cut a light it should be much better than a Matty box, RPM chip,traction control or slew rates.

Posts: 109 | Location: NY | Registered: April 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post