DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    NHRA and electric vehicles
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NHRA and electric vehicles
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Hammond:
quote:
Originally posted by SS427IMP:
quote:
Originally posted by 7065comp:
JMO, the downfall of dragracing came with the introduction of ALL electronics! What is the differance between all the electrical devices on your cars and an EV? To make this short, the bottom line is "You still have to cut a light and WIN the Stripe!"
True, but you don't have to dial and compensate for DA and this is HUGE!

How do you know that? And what is the cost of one of those electric cars? Why do you think the sky is falling for drag racing?

Nope it’s not the sky is falling but they should not race combustion vehicles. Jmo

https://forums.tesla.com/forum...h-altitude-operation

Just one small piece of info Richard.. it’s at your finger tips. Google

I would say the same thing if I was trying to sell Teslas. Post some timeslips to back up all of these claims.

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I hear the Tesla Roadster is easily an 8 second car. That’s incredible but then again Suzuki and Kawi sell 8 second motorcycles too.

The only thing that effects the performance is battery temp I have heard. Until we know exactly the capabilities of EV racing traditional cars... nope Power Tool

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4497 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
A friend is and has been in the electric car industry for over 20 years. Has since moved to Europe to further his study and research. So far the longevity of the battery is the problem and fire is the short coming.I helped put out the fire on his S-10 at Speedworld twice.

Posts: 1413 | Location: Yarnell, AZ | Registered: August 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
i was watching some all out race ones on you tube and it looked like they where having the same issues as everyone else.alot of tire hop/shake

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
A friend is and has been in the electric car industry for over 20 years

When the government stops so with the electric cars.

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
You could sit back and not do or say anything and then when it’s happening you’re like ; how did this happen? JMHO

Like you have any say in what happens.

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Most cars are very consistent nowadays.The better reaction time is usually the winner.

I don't think it is worth getting all upset over electric vehicles even if they could run dead on zero all day.

I would get upset when some "Green Deal" nut bans the internal combustion engine.

Hopefully,that is SEVERAL years away.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
So....nobody plays the stripe now? Wow where have I been?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:

If your opponent has a .01 better reaction time and runs dead on the dial all out:

How do you play the stripe????

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 442OLDS:
quote:

If your opponent has a .01 better reaction time and runs dead on the dial all out:

Can't turn every round into a winner, but you can make it look like he has no room to lift and maybe he goes .001 too quick. You can make him think he is behind and should drop, giving you room to get in.

Doesn't work all the time, sometimes costs you a round you may have won dialing honest, but you never know!

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3158 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
All these replies and not one addresses the original question: Will NHRA create a class for EV's?

Or, for more fun, let's address the pros and cons of bracket racing an EV.

Posts: 606 | Location: Lakewood, Co. | Registered: January 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SS427IMP:
All these replies and not one addresses the original question: Will NHRA create a class for EV's?

Or, for more fun, let's address the pros and cons of bracket racing an EV.

Playing card in spokes for sound effect... Big Grin

Possibly a class, there was a big pow wow at Pomona regarding the car on display.
The track temp, hooking, cutting a light setup etc all remain the same.
Pro's
No race fuel
Not dependent on weather influence.
On-board technology light years ahead of MSD and Racepac..

Con's
Training track personnel and owners regarding Lithium safety and procedures.
Will a battery pac go all rounds?
How big does your gen set have to be for a quick charge?
Will tracks install charging stations and what would it co$t the racer?

Next..

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4497 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
You know I'd think more about if the NHRA and IHRA will even be around for EV's in bracket racing. They have so little input into bracket rules anyway so what does it matter?

Posts: 1459 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

My point is, if all the cars are that consistent that they will run the number every time, then there would be no advantage to bagging anything. Or cutting anyone loose. You won't break out. Neither will they. But this isn't reality is it? The cars, while more consistent than they used to be, are still affected by many things, and they don't run the number all the time or even most of the time. And thus, we still play the stripe. MOST regular winners do.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

My point is, if all the cars are that consistent that they will run the number every time, then there would be no advantage to bagging anything. Or cutting anyone loose. You won't break out. Neither will they. But this isn't reality is it? The cars, while more consistent than they used to be, are still affected by many things, and they don't run the number all the time or even most of the time. And thus, we still play the stripe. MOST regular winners do.

The biggest thing that affects my car is wind.

I would think an electric vehicle would be affected by wind also.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The biggest thing that affects my car is wind.

I would think an electric vehicle would be affected by wind also.

And, could easily correct for it.
And, weather does not affect your car? If you have a car that is mostly affected by wind, then you must win a lot of races on still days. All you have to do it cut a light and go for a ride right?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
NHRA should create a class for electric vehicles. Just think, we could make them like giant RC cars. Stand at the starting line and control your car as it goes down the track.

It's not what you've got, it's what you give, it's not the life you choose, it's the life you live.

Posts: 2120 | Location: Napa, California | Registered: December 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Mike,
That was EXACTLY my thought.
Look at the Tesla driverless cars.
You can sleep while racing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjHpBFPz2xI

Just put the traction control on, it should repeat all day.
Big Grin

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Several months ago they arrested a guy for the same thing. They actually had to box the car in, stop it, beat on the window to wake him up and arrest the guy for DUI. That righ there tells you how much technology is in those cars. Hello... it is rocket science!

https://www.goodmorningamerica...ling-asleep-59594273

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BP758,

Raceless in California!

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I'm too young to know how people reacted to fuel injection and computer car vs carbs when they first became a reality, but were there this many tin hat wearing crazys back then??

Good god if your car doesn't repeat within a couple thou in similar weather now you aren't winning anyways.. if you guys think these things are just going to show up and run the number you're delusional.. sure they wont be affected by a 30 degree temp swing or a storm front rolling through changing humidity, but they'll have their own challenges to navigate that will be just as complex if not worse than yours.. they don't need their own class

Brad

Posts: 172 | Location: tucson | Registered: July 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post