Notify
Tools

College education
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
quote:
you can't send someone to trade school that doesn't have math skills and good reading comprehension

And you can't be a Journeyman or Master tradesman without math or reading also. Being a gofer teaches you to be a gofer the rest of your life. You learn every bad habit that your "teacher" does on the job and will never know what code is.

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1219 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Sure glad I didn't know you had to have these skills of which you speak to be successful. I would have been a total failure. I never paid attention when I was in school and left school and home at 15. I remember coming to a family reunion when I was about 25 or so with all my college educated cousins. I was driving a new Lincoln and the rumor got started that the only way I could be showing this much wealth was if I was in the "Mafia" over there in the North East. Never saw so many jealous people and they were all good teachers. I knew how to make money! I don't know if you can do it today but in my time a plumber made way more than most with a college degree. Hot on the left cold on the right shyt won't run up hill and payday is Friday!

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sure glad I didn't know you had to have these skills of which you speak to be successful. I would have been a total failure.

Ditto. Had I been at the mercy of educators, or other college graduates, opposed to having an "in" I would have never had the opportunity to succeed, they told me as much. Generally speaking they couldn't tell the difference between someone that had qualifications vs. ability.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
Fern,
What did you do? I don't think I ever heard what you did in all those different countries.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
WORKED!

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
This^^^ has been and will always be the path to success and financial security.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
WORKED!

I know that. Duh! I told you what I did. I built a recycling plant in Damaam, Saudi Arabia and consulted a couple of times in Taiwan on designing recycling equipment.
Met several engineers from ARAMCO in Damaam since there weren't many of us westerners over there. I hated every minute in Saudi. They tried to get me to build another plant in India but I refused. It was too long away from home.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
WORKED!

quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
This^^^ has been and will always be the path to success and financial security.

This is the bottom line. College or no college. College is a step along the way for some people but it isn't a replacement for hard work.

Posts: 715 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of CrewMan
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately...a college education has been (and probably will be to some extent forever) used as a political tool. The haves vs. the have nots, the affordability vs. the non affordability, etc etc. Another constant will always be the student loan aspect and the cost of repayment. Even when I was in college almost 30 plus years ago....guess what...the issue of student loans was there. And as it was explained to me when I signed up for mine...default was an issue then just like it is now. Which is why when I signed up for mine rates were high...why? Because of default...when default happens...guess who pays for the default with higher interest? Yup...those downstream coming in after the defaults have occured...same thing with the housing market etc...when you bring up the concept of risk...heads explode.

I spend a lot of time working with local colleges (both full university and community levels), elementary-junior-high school aged kids talking about career paths and experiences in the Architecture / Engineering / Construction field...and the one thing I always tell them (and they always ask)....is college is not for everyone. I never say an education is not required...because it is...but it is up to each person to decide what works for them - and invest in THAT avenue. That is what is going to work best and be the most beneficial...honestly it is what you learn and can apply and what you know versus where you went. There are many educational avenues beyond college. May not be for a person right now - but may be later....whatever it is doesn't matter - just continually strive to invest in yourself and build your brand. In the end....you're the only that matters.

College education has it's benefits but so do other avenues.

"Some things are better left unsaid... usually it's the S**T I blurt out first.

Posts: 116 | Location: Loveland, Ohio | Registered: September 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
They want to forgive some debt for college. College is something you elect to do. How about forget some medical debt for people who came down with cancer? Cancer was not an option in life.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Think the easiest way to solve this is have the colleges and universities cosign the student loans. If they think their degree is that worthy then stand behind what they charge for it!

Jason Compton

Posts: 34 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Compton:
Think the easiest way to solve this is have the colleges and universities cosign the student loans. If they think their degree is that worthy then stand behind what they charge for it!

I like it.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Compton:

Yes

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Gives a lot of incentive too!
Incentive to recruit the right students with the right work mindset. Incentive to make them employable. Incentive to find them jobs!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I went to college for one semester. Hated it, lucky for me I was mechanically inclined. Became a wrench at a Datsun dealer, started my own business later and retired at 53. I was lucky to be mechanically inclined and didn't mind getting my hands dirty. For those who are not mechanically inclined and hate to get there hands dirty. (My son) college is a good place to learn what you want to do for the next 40 years.

When everything is coming your way, your probably in the wrong lane.

Posts: 1013 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Both of my daughters got degrees. I was able to give them a place to live and keep wheels under them . They paid with grants and part time jobs serving food and drinks.
They are doing great and appreciate community colleges.
Grand son did the same and is in a good job now . He worked there during his last year of school and they offered him a job upon graduation.
If you are going to make it you will find a way ,if not no-one can do it for you .

Posts: 30 | Location: Southwest IOWA | Registered: March 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
IMO. If you are going to college so that you can obtain a position if a field that allows you to make good living and it more than apys ten fold the cost of the peice of paper, then yes it make sense.

If you are going so you have a piece of paper that will never be worth more than the picture frame you put it in. Then you would be better off having had parents or yourself put that money into a interest bearing account or a blue chip stock. Then when you get to point it has made you ten time what you put in. You are smarter than the piece of paper hanging on the wall.

Lawyer,doctor,computer science, business major or the like. Yes. Liberal arts type shyt. Well the word liberal tells you it useless as shyt and not the kind that you can fertilize with.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Scarth:
I went to college for one semester. Hated it, lucky for me I was mechanically inclined. Became a wrench at a Datsun dealer, started my own business later and retired at 53. I was lucky to be mechanically inclined and didn't mind getting my hands dirty. For those who are not mechanically inclined and hate to get there hands dirty. (My son) college is a good place to learn what you want to do for the next 40 years.

Dam, didn't realize you were that old!

Had a couple of Datsuns back in the day. Fun, inexpensive cars back in the day. I loved the dual fuel tank gauge. I had a 280 that I paid $350 with a bad engine and bought an engine for $350. I really liked that car. Unfortunately, it rusted from the inside out. Sold it for$400 for parts.

Anyway, college is not for everyone.
I tried, but it wasn't for me. I was making good money in the 80s/90s/00s finding work where I felt in, wether I knew the trade. Work hard and put the effort in seemed to work for me.

I'm still youngish, but not able to put in 40 hrs a week.

In closing, I have money put away for my son for college or whatever he wants to do. Still have six years til then.

As a taxpayer, why should I pay for other people's children to forgive debts? The parents or student should known that a degree in History of crickets reproductive schedule whilst living in the Antarctic is worse less then a napkin from McDonalds.

PS Don't let me get started on adults that can't make change with cash!

Edit: I just won $800+ tonight on the 76ers game without a degree!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: M120,

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Typical gambler, bragging about how much they won, silent all the times they lost $. Roll Eyes

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of CrewMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
IMO. If you are going to college so that you can obtain a position if a field that allows you to make good living and it more than apys ten fold the cost of the peice of paper, then yes it make sense.

If you are going so you have a piece of paper that will never be worth more than the picture frame you put it in. Then you would be better off having had parents or yourself put that money into a interest bearing account or a blue chip stock. Then when you get to point it has made you ten time what you put in. You are smarter than the piece of paper hanging on the wall.

Lawyer,doctor,computer science, business major or the like. Yes. Liberal arts type shyt. Well the word liberal tells you it useless as shyt and not the kind that you can fertilize with.

BOOM! Cool

"Some things are better left unsaid... usually it's the S**T I blurt out first.

Posts: 116 | Location: Loveland, Ohio | Registered: September 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post