Find
Notify
Tools

Honesty question
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted
If your opponents dial in is wrong on the boards and he did not notice would you say something to the starter given the chance?

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Been there and done that and I run no box. Others I know have done the same. A couple of weeks ago 2 box racers agreed between them to rerun as one had told the other his dial in incorrectly.

Posts: 1461 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Integrity question you meant.

If you don't point it out given the opportunity, you forfeit your self respect.

But most it seems nowadays, are used to having none.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If you are crossed over and don't, you better change your delay box and pray he don't see it before he fully stages it.

Once he fully stages it, you only have 7 seconds to put it in the beams, so if he sees the mess up just before he stages, points it out to the starter, then immediately plugs it into the second bulb, you now have 7 seconds to change the delay box and stage your car, which won't happen unless you are very familiar with your box which most of us are but i'm not in the habit of using the arrow up / down function plus it takes a second to return to the ready screen. I'd miss it and catch a red light for sure. That's why i point it out when i'm rolling up to the first beam. If the dial is right its right, but im getting my box set before i light the first bulb.

If you already had both bulbs on and him only one, and they change his dial in, but don't alert you to the change, you are hosed and it should result in a re-run.

If anything is wrong up there on the score boards, i point it out regardless of cross over or not.

Posts: 375 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Jeff , Darren and I have caught that numerous times. Mostly opponent side and occasional miss in the tower our side. But yeah we say something Steve.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4497 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
I have many videos capturing this. Some times it was tricky to get the starters attention lol
https://youtu.be/av29-9bXyls

https://youtu.be/-P_LivuV-qQ

https://youtu.be/Q0gk5MRn7Xs

https://youtu.be/zTg_wrOvat8

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12172 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Another funny and timely story. Just a few weeks ago, I was in the staging lanes and my opponent and I noticed that we were dialed in with the number. When we pulled up to the beams, I noticed his dial-in was NOT the same as mine, on the boards. I stopped before staging and waved at the starter. He didn't see me, so I honked my horn. As I pointed at the boards and then at his car, I realized we WEREN'T dialed heads up anymore. Oops. A bit embarrassing. I won the round and we both got a good laugh out of it. He had changed the dial as the line was moving up. Big Grin Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
If I see it I am going to point it out. I don't want to win a round based on something like that. Its also a karma thing for me, you let something like that go, it will eventually catch up with you.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1830 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by banjo:
If I see it I am going to point it out. I don't want to win a round based on something like that. Its also a karma thing for me, you let something like that go, it will eventually catch up with you.

I am with Banjo on this one. It is not "Cheating" but I would not feel right about it and would point it out.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I agree with the guys, I want a fair race.

Bob

Posts: 3082 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by banjo:

That's exactly right, it's not superstition either, it's the law of the universe. The more moral any society is, the less tyranny there is, and the more freedom there is.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Let's say your opponent typically runs 11.50's.

He writes 11. on the window and forgets to write the last part of the dial in.

Are we supposed to not stage,tell the starter that the dial is not right,or is there any personal responsibility here?

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 442OLDS:
Let's say your opponent typically runs 11.50's.

He writes 11. on the window and forgets to write the last part of the dial in.

Are we supposed to not stage,tell the starter that the dial is not right,or is there any personal responsibility here?

99% of the time you'll notice that before pulling onto the track.

Sure, I'd ask em in the staging lanes "Is that your dial?"

I've done it before.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Nickel:
If you are crossed over and don't, you better change your delay box and pray he don't see it before he fully stages it.

Once he fully stages it, you only have 7 seconds to put it in the beams, so if he sees the mess up just before he stages, points it out to the starter, then immediately plugs it into the second bulb, you now have 7 seconds to change the delay box and stage your car, which won't happen unless you are very familiar with your box which most of us are but i'm not in the habit of using the arrow up / down function plus it takes a second to return to the ready screen. I'd miss it and catch a red light for sure. That's why i point it out when i'm rolling up to the first beam. If the dial is right its right, but im getting my box set before i light the first bulb.

If you already had both bulbs on and him only one, and they change his dial in, but don't alert you to the change, you are hosed and it should result in a re-run.

If anything is wrong up there on the score boards, i point it out regardless of cross over or not.

From past experience once somebody turns on the PRESTAGE bulb they have accepted the dialin on their side, you must catch it before you prestage.
Also yes I have alerted the starter of opponents wrong dial before I prestaged so I didn’t get caught trying to change the box if the tower decided to correct it while I was prestaged.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
i have never had an opponent point out if mine is wrong.

ep

Posts: 764 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I can't read the scoreboard numbers, some burnout, pointed into the sun, etc so I can only hope the tower has it right.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pauley:
i have never had an opponent point out if mine is wrong.

ep

Years ago they had my dial at 9.65 instead of 8.65 and I didn’t catch it neither did my opponent and he dialed according to number on my window. Lucky for me he went red because of that and I was one second under the dial. We both screwed up there.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
This has happened to me twice.

The first time I motioned to the starter and pointed at the scoreboard, he looked at my dial and pointed at the board and shrugged. So then I pointed to the other guy who was already prestaged and revving his engine up, likely getting mad that I was holding up the show for his benefit. They fixed his dial, we raced and I won.

The next time it happened was in a final round. They had my opponents dial in a hundredth off, it was dialed one slower than what he had on the car. Having my efforts not appreciated last time I corrected an opponents dial, I changed my box and put it in the beams. He was like 2 off his number and I won, but the wrong number was actually better for him.

I try to be a courteous and sportsmanlike racer but I think if it happens again I’ll just change my box and race. Why should I make a big production out of waving down the starter while disrupting my routine? This is like a golden rule of bracket racing, make sure your dial in is right. If the person in the other lane won’t do that simple step, why should I help them?

Posts: 714 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Ok here is the whole story, 1st round TD at D3 race in Bowling Green. I am dialed 6.19 and my opponent is dialed 6.73. I am backing up from my burnout and see 6.13 on the board for my opponent, all kinds of what to do is running thru my head like changing his dial in my box or do nothing, that would of screwed me. When I got back behind the line I radio my son the the dial is wrong in the other lane, he gets the starters attention but he looks at mine, my son went over to the other car and showed him what was wrong, they finally get it fixed in the mean time my car is getting hot from sitting there plus I lose my concentration. Anyways I am dead late and run 3 hun under my dial on the from the extra heat in the heads leaning out the motor and that was lifting early and lose the race.
Personally I hate liars and cheaters and felt I did the right thing, I told the other driver at the end of the track what a gift I gave him by not changing the dial in my box he had no clue what was going on and never even looked at the scoreboard.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Big Steve,

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
they finally get it fixed in the mean time my car is getting hot from sitting there plus I lose my concentration. Anyways I am dead late and run 3 hun under my dial on the from the extra heat in the heads leaning out the motor and that was lifting early and lose the race.
Personally I hate liars and cheaters and felt I did the right thing, I told the other driver at the end of the track what a gift I gave him by not changing the dial in my box he had no clue what was going on and never even looked at the scoreboard.

Exactly what I was thinking at the end of my post. Why put yourself at a disadvantage due to losing concentration and the car heating up to fix an opponent's oversight? I don't think it's unsportsmanlike to not fix it for them considering that it could put you at a disadvantage.

Posts: 714 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post