DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Felony charge for cheating in fishing tournament
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Felony charge for cheating in fishing tournament
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
There has been discussion in the racing community comparing big money bracket races to big money fishing tournaments. Fishing tournaments are highly regulated and even use polygraph tests at times. The article below is about a man who was arrested with felony charges in Texas for cheating in a fishing tournament. I thought this may bring up interesting discussion

https://www.star-telegram.com/...rticle227741894.html

Posts: 794 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Probably never happen in bracket racing as first no one checks and the ones that know what to look for aren't letting the cat out of the bag. I know some races do some kind of a check but do they really know what they are looking for?Then there are the foot brake racers with 4 buttons on the steering wheel that aren't using them, right. Get them out of the car, suspicion gone!

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Probably never happen in bracket racing as first no one checks and the ones that know what to look for aren't letting the cat out of the bag. I know some races do some kind of a check but do they really know what they are looking for?Then there are the foot brake racers with 4 buttons on the steering wheel that aren't using them, right. Get them out of the car, suspicion gone!

There’s been plenty of tech at big money bracket races. What makes you think there is no one that knows how to tech a car in the first place? I know Cody Harger has been hired a few times to do tech at some big money races. I’d like to have a discussion on what exactly people think is being used in today’s big money races. I’m talking electronics class.

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
PLEASE..

Posts: 1259 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Hammond:
quote:

There’s been plenty of tech at big money bracket races. What makes you think there is no one that knows how to tech a car in the first place? I know Cody Harger has been hired a few times to do tech at some big money races. I’d like to have a discussion on what exactly people think is being used in today’s big money races. I’m talking electronics class.

Fair question IMO. I hear a lot of people assume that there is cheating going on because it is easier than explaining why they are not winning themselves. Is there any evidence that there is actual cheating going on?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hear a lot of people assume that there is cheating going on...

Cheating is the nature of the beast when it comes to mankind. Politicians come to mind, and the current university scandal. You have rule stretchers like Smokey Yunick then the blatant cheaters like the Dodge Boys, and as proven by the Glidden boys. Yes these examples aren't bracket racing but I defer to the nature of the beast statement. You make rules/laws/regulations to control people, people are going to cheat, it's a vicious circle.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
What an idiot! Ray Charles could see that!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4504 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna have to start watching out for folks with scissors in the pits and/or staging lanes now, trying to trim their tails. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I remember many years ago before some of you were born and many more were to young to be aware. As I traveled all over the country to the added purse races I begin to notice that this same group that always seemed to park together seemed to get to the short lines at every race and most of the time would not even consider any kind of split. Many I mentioned this to were concerned but that was it. Not long after a conversation with Bob Harris about a fellow named Ron Erks at Rockingham that mess got broke up when someone presented Bill Bader Sr with a Matty Box and a list of those who were using it. So---you can stick your head in the sand if you think it don't go on. They are stealing from racers period. Right now I have no suspects, but am not so nieve as to dismiss it as never happening.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Comp

From a very well known NHRA tech inspector, if they aren’t hooking a lap top up to the MSD boxes they aren’t checking anything. Now we know a 7al2 or 6 whatever doesn’t use a laptop.

Posts: 1639 | Location: nc | Registered: June 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
I remember many years ago before some of you were born and many more were to young to be aware. As I traveled all over the country to the added purse races I begin to notice that this same group that always seemed to park together seemed to get to the short lines at every race and most of the time would not even consider any kind of split. Many I mentioned this to were concerned but that was it. Not long after a conversation with Bob Harris about a fellow named Ron Erks at Rockingham that mess got broke up when someone presented Bill Bader Sr with a Matty Box and a list of those who were using it. So---you can stick your head in the sand if you think it don't go on. They are stealing from racers period. Right now I have no suspects, but am not so nieve as to dismiss it as never happening.

How about bringing something from this century to the table.

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:
What an idiot! Ray Charles could see that!

What an excuse really.
Of course I can't say that cheating hasn't happened. It has. I can't even say it isn't happening. If you suspect something, say something. What makes you suspect you have been a victim of cheating? What did you do about it?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Having a Cody Harger advertised as the known ignition inspector will definitely detour illegal cheating and insure the event participants are legal.

I personally think that the racers winning these major bracket races are in No Way cheating. I also think that everyone else is also legal. Can you name anyone in a high dollar bracket race in 2018 shown and confirmed to be illegal and cheating?

My reasoning is this. If you’re cheating and not winning perhaps you should try something different. If you’re cheating and winning it’s very easy to catch this if using a MSD ignition.

I think policing cars with a Holley Dominator EFI ignition could be much harder to verify legal than anything MSD.

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
I find it humorous that so many have their heads in the sand when it comes to cheating. I guarantee that if a big purse is advertised, their will be someone trying to circumvent the outcome. I was in Larue Ohio one night when Bill Guthery ran Connolly off the property. Once at Div 4 Hallsville, quite a few SC racers had to leave the property early. I'm not saying that sportsmen aren't winning, I'm just wanting to share that a lot of good racers might be eliminated early.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of DLR
posted Hide Post
It may not be happening at the big dollar bracket races, I cant confirm that at all. But I can tell you its happening at local tracks. Seen it first hand when a guy got caught red handed. If you watch someone long enough you'll figure out who they are. It always amazed me what people would do just to win regardless of consequences.

Posts: 469 | Location: BENTON HARBOR, MI | Registered: August 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger McGinnis:
I find it humorous that so many have their heads in the sand when it comes to cheating. I guarantee that if a big purse is advertised, their will be someone trying to circumvent the outcome. I was in Larue Ohio one night when Bill Guthery ran Connolly off the property. Once at Div 4 Hallsville, quite a few SC racers had to leave the property early. I'm not saying that sportsmen aren't winning, I'm just wanting to share that a lot of good racers might be eliminated early.

Explain why Connolly was run off the property.When did this happen and why? Why did quite a few SC racers have to leave the track?

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLR:
It may not be happening at the big dollar bracket races, I cant confirm that at all. But I can tell you its happening at local tracks. Seen it first hand when a guy got caught red handed. If you watch someone long enough you'll figure out who they are. It always amazed me what people would do just to win regardless of consequences.

What did he get caught red handed doing? Who was it?

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Once at Div 4 Hallsville, quite a few SC racers had to leave the property

i saw that also,and was glad it happened

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Suspended from competition I can see,even participation. Felony charge BS. The word felon carries too many unjustified punishment with it.
What you cheating at fishing tournament means you can't have a gun or maybe even vote?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:

Explain why Connolly was run off the property.When did this happen and why? Why did quite a few SC racers have to leave the track?

Late 90's on both. All cases due to not permitting a tech inspection.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post