DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    No-Box & no burnout across line?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No-Box & no burnout across line?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Firebird1
posted
So when the tower announces no burnouts across the line for No-box cars, what exactly does that mean...spell it out for me in crayon please and thanks.
The rule books(Nhra/Ihra)say one thing and some "starters" either interpret these rules their own way or redefine them on the spot, I know, I know, starter has last say at the line, BUT!
If the "starter" doesn't comprehend these rules what recourse does the offending driver have?

Posts: 240 | Location: Southern Ontario,Canada | Registered: February 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
I think the expected procedure at most tracks for bracket racing is that door cars do not burnout across the line. Whether it was a box car or not didn't matter. Even a lot of dragster guys now are starting to limit how far they do a burnout. Now an occasional slip-up isn't the end of the world but doing it every time is another matter that the track might have a problem with. Plus, every track can have it's own rule set, as long as they play nice with the safety rules of the sanction there's usually not going to be any issues raised about it.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Firebird1
posted Hide Post
I key words I'm working with is "UNDER POWER"
Could someone precisely define that?

Posts: 240 | Location: Southern Ontario,Canada | Registered: February 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The only reason to do a burnout past the starting line is if the dragsters before you, drag the water up to the starting line. Or if it's a short burnout pad to the starting line. I'd rather not because when you put the car in reverse, trash in the wheel well can fall on the tire, BUT you gotta prep the tire for the race the same everywhere you go.

If it's like that I'm doing a burnout to wherever I feel I need to do a burnout to prep my tires for the race, irregardless of what the tower or starter says.

If they wanna throw me out that's fine too, I'll have Evidence of exactly what happened.

All the stupid rules always come from people who have never produced anything on the drag strip, so how could they have a clue, other than they are control freaks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Firebird1:

That simply means that they have their foot on the gas and intentionally keeping the tires spinning past the starting line. Most tracks have rules that state no burnouts past the starting line with the exception of dragsters, due to no rear brakes. It's generally there for the sportsman racers and local classes. As an example, at Bandimere, with every class that runs there, dragsters are the only ones allowed to do a burnout across the starting line under power. Doesn't mean you can go to half track though....for the Fast 16 and Quick 16 classes, and Fineline, they can. Of course, Top Alcohol, Top Dragster, Top Sportsman, and all the pro classes can.

If a car crosses the starting line while doing the burnout, but is not under power, they generally will let you slide as long as you are making an attempt to stop. But continually cross the line, or do it under power, and you'll get talked to....

I honestly don't see any reason a bracket car other than a dragster even has a need to cross the starting line doing a burnout....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
If you don’t understand the meaning, the intent of the rule, you are not qualified to be on the track!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Irrational rules are about control / obedience / initiation, not purpose.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
dang just when I was ready to start working on my camaro for door car.You fellas tell me no fun allowed. LOL

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Firebird1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
If you don’t understand the meaning, the intent of the rule, you are not qualified to be on the track!

Hey Hugh, didn't know anyone ever qualifies to be on the track per their understanding of the rules? You must have passed the special test(we're very proud of you). I know what the rules are, it's not my job to enforce them. The question is how am I supposed to read the starters mind for their interpretation in the heat of battle?
My example

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted Hide Post
quote:

Your key word doesn't matter. If you cross the starting line while in the process of doing a burnout you are subject to a DQ. It's pretty simple. Don't go past the starting line for any reason while doing a burnout,coasting after your burnout problem solved.

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Rules are track rules, if you want clarification ask the track operator what the rule is. That's the only way you'll have a leg to stand on if there is a problem.

Posts: 1456 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Hey Hugh, didn't know anyone ever qualifies to be on the track per their understanding of the rules? You must have passed the special test(we're very proud of you). I know what the rules are, it's not my job to enforce them. The question is how am I supposed to read the starters mind for their interpretation in the heat of battle?
My example

Hastings makes it look too easy. He's bad for business (car counts).

Looks to me like he couldn't see it, pretty dark on the starting line. When he finally did, hit the brakes was too late!

Starter was like I got ya now! I'm gonna be the hero to get the bad man out of here!

He's having a hard time seeing the groove. Once he finally confirms he's in the groove, it' too late on the brakes. Driving over the hill is like driving into a black tunnel.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Hey Hugh, didn't know anyone ever qualifies to be on the track per their understanding of the rules? You must have passed the special ED test(we're very proud of you). I know what the rules are, it's not my job to enforce them. The question is how am I supposed to read the starters mind for their interpretation in the heat of battle?

I did a minor edit to your post. Ed/1320Ricer is a special kind on the Forums. Take it with a grain of salt & have some fun with it if you wish.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2541 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Firebird1
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
Hey Hugh, didn't know anyone ever qualifies to be on the track per their understanding of the rules? You must have passed the special ED test(we're very proud of you). I know what the rules are, it's not my job to enforce them. The question is how am I supposed to read the starters mind for their interpretation in the heat of battle?[/QUOTE]

I did a minor edit to your post. Ed/1320Ricer is a special kind on the Forums. Take it with a grain of salt & have some fun with it if you wish.[/QUOTE]

Go for it, I don't mind. I thought his name was Hugh Jasole anyway?

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I think the rule is what it says it is. Don't burn out across the line. I feel like if you accidentally roll across once, it shouldn't be a big deal. I don't think the rule makes sense if you ask me. Half the fun is a burn out, half of the people that come to watch get wowed by a burn out. And let's face it, The only think a random spectator has to be wowed by at a bracket race are wheelies and burn outs. I am quite biased here because I always went across the line in my door car. Two tracks said something about it, I have never gone back to those two tracks.

Posts: 66 | Location: Glen Burnie | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:
quote:

Hey Hugh, didn't know anyone ever qualifies to be on the track per their understanding of the rules? You must have passed the special
test(we're very proud of you). I know what the rules are, it's not my job to enforce them. The question is how am I supposed to read the starters mind for their interpretation in the heat of battle?
My example

Looks to me like he couldn't see it, pretty dark on the starting line. When he finally did, hit the brakes was too late!

Starter was like I got ya now! I'm gonna be the hero to get the bad man out of here!

He's having a hard time seeing the groove. Once he finally confirms he's in the groove, it' too late on the brakes. Driving over the hill is like driving into a black tunnel.

I was standing beside the water box when it happened and it’s not as dark as it looks and he knows the track well so don’t use darkness for an excuse. Also the track has two orange cones at top of hill in each lane to keep you centered up on the grove so again the hill and darkness poor excuse. I am a whole second faster than him and I get stopped 20’ from starting line no problem. It’s just a monkey see monkey do thing because somebody won a big dollar race doing it so they have to copy it. Instead of starting their burnout at edge of water they pull way past it.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hey Hugh, didn't know anyone ever qualifies to be on the track per their understanding of the rules? You must have passed the special
test(we're very proud of you). I know what the rules are, it's not my job to enforce them. The question is how am I supposed to read the starters mind for their interpretation in the heat of battle?
My example

I was standing beside the water box when it happened and it’s not as dark as it looks and he knows the track well so don’t use darkness for an excuse. Also the track has two orange cones at top of hill in each lane to keep you centered up on the grove so again the hill and darkness poor excuse. I am a whole second faster than him and I get stopped 20’ from starting line no problem. It’s just a monkey see monkey do thing because somebody won a big dollar race doing it so they have to copy it. Instead of starting their burnout at edge of water they pull way past it.

I don't make excuses for people I know, much less people I don't know. I'm saying what I see based on racing experience. The groove is harder to see in the right at this place, it's self evident. It's also self evident Hastings took a split second too long verifying if he liked his position in the groove because he was also a split second late on the brakes! The Nazi running the tree was johnny on the spot to kick the big bad wolf out of the race, to save the day and ride off into the sunset, hero! With a false sense of self importance.

Meanwhile back in reality, Hastings made an honest two foot mistake, big whoopi chit!

Everyone gets one freebie, except the Big Bad Wolf!

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:

I can't attest to why he did what he did, but it was clear he knew the rule cause he was hard on the brake coming off the gas. When you're doing a burnout at this track, you can see the surface perfectly, even better than a flat approach, so it's not like you're coming up to a "black tunnel" and it catches you off guard.

The starter did exactly what he did for the first offender earlier in the day, he told him the violation, cleared it with the tower, and adhered to the ruling.

Aren't you "pro rules blah blah without rules your a lefty commie blah blah disorder is against the founding fathers blah" in all your other posts?

Posts: 119 | Location: Outside | Registered: May 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I'm pro Evidence, that's why I grabbed the screen shot of the two foot honest mistake. The reason he's hard on the brakes, is because he realized he took a split second long verifying he approved / liked his position in the groove.

I wouldn't have thrown him out if I were the starter, because I see what he did to make an honest mistake.

The starter saw the whole thing and acted as if it were a gotcha moment for him. Immediately.

I might have opened the door and suggested he tighten up.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm pro Evidence, that's why I grabbed the screen shot of the two foot honest mistake. The reason he's hard on the brakes, is because he realized he took a split second long verifying he approved / liked his position in the groove.

I wouldn't have thrown him out if I were the starter, because I see what he did to make an honest mistake.

I might have opened the door and suggested he tighten up.

So use your screenshot evidence and tell us if he violated the "no box cars are not permitted to cross the starting line during the burnout" rule? The answer is yes. The flyer states "infractions can result in DQ, suspension, forfeit of entries and/or money", so the starter wasn't being a hero, he was enforcing the stated rule that the track already had set as precedent.

It sucks for him, I'm surprised they didn't use a warning for both instances, but it shouldn't be a shock to anyone.

Posts: 119 | Location: Outside | Registered: May 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post