DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Race Track Forums    Quaker City Motorsports Park
Page 1 ... 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 ... 245
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quaker City Motorsports Park
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bracketgto:
Why wouldnt you have been in NO BOX on friday night?

I did race No Box this year, and the cars I raced were trailered Race Cars that were between 5, and 7 seconds quicker. I was also 1 of less than 3 cars that moved over from the Treaded Tire TNT Lanes into the No Box Elimination Lanes each one of those nights. I've beaten cars like those, and I've beaten cars with Delay Boxes, but you can't tell me a 16 second Street Car that was driven in the gate doesn't have a disadvantage racing a 9 second Trailered Race Car. I can think of at least 20 Street Car racers I raced with in the Thursday/Friday Street Classes the entire length of last year that feel the same way, that will NEVER be back. Any racer that's good enough with any car can beat another racer with any car, but just as the No Box Racers feel at a disadvantage racing the Box Cars, the Street Car Guys don't want to race the No Box Cars. If you want to continue in Drag Racing, eventually you will have to race the better/faster cars, and there are many new racers that are willing to do that. They just need to get some passes in, and win some rounds to get their confidence level up. The time it takes to win those rounds directly relates to how long they will race. If a new Street Car Guy keeps beating their head against a wall by being beaten in the first round by a more experienced driver with a more consistant Race Car, and only getting 3 passes of practice a week, they won't be racing very long.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gkeeton,

Posts: 10 | Location: Harmony PA | Registered: October 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
The only change made to street class was not being able to drive around the water. Not every track has this option. If you are going to race, you got to learn to adjust to the track and what it offers. That goes for a street car or a slick tire car. Unfortunately on Friday and Saturday the street tire cars are the minority and the slick tire cars will be catered to. I do agree that a night during the week scheduled around Norwalk, Thompson or 42 would be worth a shot and possibly good profit for the track.

As far as seat time and experience, Friday night test and tune still offers a more than fair number of runs and would give a beginner the chance to come out and practice on Friday night then run on Saturday in street class.

Posts: 2399 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Congrats to Jim Culp on his Runner Up finish in Pro class at the Halloween Classic!!!

Posts: 2399 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Good job Jim! I notice he was driving a chevy! Big Grin

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gkeeton:
I've beaten cars like those, and I've beaten cars with Delay Boxes, but you can't tell me a 16 second Street Car that was driven in the gate doesn't have a disadvantage racing a 9 second Trailered Race Car.

No, that car doesn't. It's bracket racing. The handicap start gives everyone a fair shot, that's what it was designed to do.

quote:
I can think of at least 20 Street Car racers I raced with in the Thursday/Friday Street Classes the entire length of last year that feel the same way, that will NEVER be back.

Sounds like half of the people that posted in this thread. Look where they are at...

quote:
If a new Street Car Guy keeps beating their head against a wall by being beaten in the first round by a more experienced driver with a more consistant Race Car, and only getting 3 passes of practice a week, they won't be racing very long.

If they are giving up that easy, this is the wrong hobby for them.

My $.02 ...

Posts: 343 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of RB72Duster
posted Hide Post
This years street class was completely different than past years. So much so that it shouldn't be called Street, it should be called Sportsman. Once you allow open exhaust and slick tires it is no longer a street class. I agree that there needs to be a beginners class. This years street class was no where near a beginners class. Last I looked, people like Stewart, Klacik, Coblentz, Wirth, Sweitzer, the Tharpes and many others are not beginners. I don't blame them for running that class. Their cars meet requirements so they ran it. I think a class with the requirements of a street trophy class but with the option of a payout or trophy would be great on a friday night. I've heard of tracks that have these classes and put a limitation on them. Once you win or runner-up that class twice in a season, you are no longer allowed to run that class. You must jump up to Sportsman. THoughts?

Posts: 152 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
My apology on that. I was referring to the Street Legal class that is there every weekend when I made mention of change. Yes, the "Street Class" for IHRA is very similiar to "Sportsman" on the NHRA side.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Only one problem that after you win you get bumped up and that is that there won't be many cars left in street by end of season because you are bumping them up. By the way how old is this Wirth guy you are talking about?

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of CulpK348
posted Hide Post
Thanks Shawn.....long night, but I finally got home at 2 am. It was a lot of fun and my first time at this race. What a good time but I found out Saturday that I have needed a new distributor for probably 3 years.....it is literally held together by mechanical wire as I type this....

Someone needs to upload the video of Clints Wheel stand competition....wow, he is lucky the car is still in one piece.

Life is Short....Live it without Regrets

Sponsored by:

Calcutta Auto Parts
Team MOJO Foundation
El Paso Mexican Restaurant

Posts: 527 | Location: East Liverpool, Ohio | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gkeeton:
quote:
Originally posted by qcmpobsrvr:
In 2010 all the real race cars had left the property. In 2011 the track saw record car counts...and they didn't have street tires on them.

I guess you don't care a whole lot about having a track to race at in the future. The novelty of a new track owner has worn off, and if the track is resurfaced, that novelty will wear off as well. If you think the track will be getting all of their new racers from people running out, and buying tow rigs, and Race Cars, you're pretty stupid. There's a hell of a lot more people wanting to get started in racing that would be willing to take the car they drive to work to the track. If you don't have any way to keep those new racers, that get discouraged easily, by having a class for them to race, you're not bringing in new racers. It's great that the track has had record attendance, but what if that's all they're going to get with attendance decreaseing when new racers don't fill the spots of those that "retire"? I drove 1800+ miles to race at OTHER tracks this year partly due to my displeasure of the changes made in 2011. That's roughly $300 that went into my gas tank, that WOULD HAVE gone into gate fees at Quaker, and I am by no means in the minority. Do the math, if just 10 other racers had the same situation, thats $3000 the track lost, not to mention racers that may NEVER come back. If a few changes are made to better accomodate the Street Cars, the track could easily increase their attendance by 50 to 100 cars WEEKLY. It's pretty sad too beacause the Street Car Crowd is probably the easiest to please, requiring a cheap entrance fee, and small, if any payout. If Mr Fox isn't interested in 50 to 100 more racers to add to his attendance, and possibly create another night of racing were he could possibly get even more, he's a pretty poor business man.

You made a lot of good points but I dont think a lot of those points play aas big of a role as you may think.

Some things I dont agree with:

1: "easily increase attendance by 50-100 a week" I highly doubt it. Definitely not 100.

2: "Street car crowd the easiest to please" Totally wrong, they are actually the hardest from what I see. On all the forums I go on, street car guys/TNT guys do all the complaining and cry black sheep.

I think all types of racers are important and there should be a nice balance but, lets look at the facts... You stated 2010 was the best year for the street guys and the car counts were at an all time low and the track went under. This year was the best year for everyone but the street car guy according to you and the car counts were at all time highs. Hmmm so your saying if the track doesnt go back to a setup more like 2010 it will be in trouble. Confused

89 Mustang GT - PX98
Rodeheavers Hotrod Shop

Posts: 728 | Location: Belle Vernon, PA | Registered: December 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I must say I am disappointed to see Greg go because now we are back to square one as to not knowing what we are going to have as far as racing operation and track prep. I don't believe the track prep group as a whole will be back and it isn't just a simple spray and drag operation, I have seen norwalk replace their crew and it took a while for them to get it together. It would have been nice to atleast have him for another year for them to get their feet under them better and maybe get a manager in training or something like that but I guess we will just have to wait and see.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
By the way Jim that wasn't luck it was all skill! Big Grin

DRR Sportsman
Picture of CulpK348
posted Hide Post
Clint, I have to admit....you have some very large balz to let go of that transbrake and pull that type of wheelie and control that car....wow....what a show. you are insane..... Big Grin

Sponsored by:

Calcutta Auto Parts
Team MOJO Foundation

Posts: 527 | Location: East Liverpool, Ohio | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of CulpK348
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
I must say I am disappointed to see Greg go because now we are back to square one as to not knowing what we are going to have as far as racing operation and track prep. I don't believe the track prep group as a whole will be back and it isn't just a simple spray and drag operation, I have seen norwalk replace their crew and it took a while for them to get it together. It would have been nice to atleast have him for another year for them to get their feet under them better and maybe get a manager in training or something like that but I guess we will just have to wait and see.

I talked with Greg this past weekend and got some pretty good insight from his side of things. If what I heard is true, and I think it is based on other conversations I have had with several other people besides Greg, then I am really disappointed in several of my fellow racers. Never would have thought these guys would be like this, but then again you learn something new about people all the time.

Time will tell what the track holds for next year. Greg set a pretty high bar compared to recent years and had a track that had great traction, followed the rules of a real santioning body, produced the IHRA Team Bracket Finalists, and IHRA track of the year, and produced about 220 competitors or more every week instead of the 100 or so last year....sure seems like a lot of reasons to get rid of the manager, eh?????

Sponsored by:

Calcutta Auto Parts
Team MOJO Foundation

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Culp congrats on your R/U you didnt leave me much room on that run down to 3 haha..very nice job though!

Posts: 50 | Location: brackenridge pa | Registered: December 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Turk
posted Hide Post
Culp, don't forget about the QCMP website greg had developed and worked closely with the designer for all the changes early on. Plus greg did all the updates and posting weekly on it.

Posts: 177 | Location: New Stanton | Registered: January 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Jim Culp, you have a PM.

Posts: 474 | Location: Trinity, Florida | Registered: June 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I personally think the whole problem is what is known as sportsman eliminator is a race car class.If you want to race something like a 15 sec. or slower car unless your track has a trophy class your screwed.I understand that alot of tracks do not get enough street cars to justify any kind of a payout though.This is just my opinion but I think the powers to be screwed up when they lowered the et brake to 12.oo flat.When the class was 14.oo and the street cars were competetive because most the race cars broke out all the time. It used to be 14.00 and up at Norwalk And all of use with hot rods were always running to quick.You have to remember that for people starting out imtimidation goes along way.Another thing, I was at Kilkare and Pacemakers within the last month and seen trans brakes being used in the slow class and thought to myself this is bullcrap.

Posts: 35 | Location: northern ohio | Registered: December 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of mr. yuk
posted Hide Post
hey a big shout out to my buddy jimmy culp. you finally caught fire at the right time. congrads my bowtie buddy !!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 189 | Location: niles,ohio | Registered: January 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of mr. yuk
posted Hide Post
some of you crybabies in street need to man up. first off i suggest you get both ihra & nhra rule books. some of us guys we're running that class before any one of you we're probably even racing down the track. stop complaining about the class. why don't you take your chicken s--t up with the ihra or nhra. i never seen more sissys at one track in my life. if you want to do well then you better be able to run against the best people. don't drag me and others into this for no reason. first it was the stupid footbrake class that was just a joke from the word go, now you insult the ihra & nhra with your stupidity. just shut up and learn to race. when i race in pro [which i won this year] i footbraked myself to the victory. i don't enter pro looking for brakes. here's a suggestion for a couple of you sissy's next year at any track you attend. "GET A PAIR" don't involve people that abide by those rules mandated by the sanction.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mr. yuk,

Posts: 189 | Location: niles,ohio | Registered: January 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post