DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    ATI vs reid case
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ATI vs reid case
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I have seen a whole pallet of one brand of new PG cases that most of were unusable because of machining errors, they were returned to the supplier...............

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Which ever case I get whats inside will not all match. Top quality pieces all. Just some are different manufacture,
FTI- Aluminum valve body,clutches.low band,bearings,servo and cover.

ATI aluminum pump and ringless shaft

Coan max duty planetary set.

few others on small items.

I guess its a mutt transmission.

Oh yea JW case and bell right now.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4203 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TH383
posted Hide Post
Do ATI cases still need work to go into park all the way?

Posts: 831 | Location: PA | Registered: November 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TH383:
?

Never heard of any issue there myself. Besides my tube shifter requires doing away with park or major grinding on comb in park area.

Posts: 4203 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
So far I have gathered both case are mechanically fine just exterior finish on ATI is not as nice? ATI case will not swap Bell with anyone else and Reid will swap with BTE(I think it was).
Reid in the lead by 1/2 fender. Like I said its not a rush, heck not even needed for bracket race unless NHRA sanctioned track is strict on cert.s. He11 then other things probably issue too.

Still nice new case with legal cert that is 14 to 18 lbs lighter would be nice.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I am running the Reid case in my Front Engine Dragster and it is a nice piece.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4039 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of DON KALINA
posted Hide Post
MY 2 CENTS....ALL ATI CASE'S NEED THE BTE PARKING PAWL....ASK ME HOW I KNOW.....PHONE CALL..HEY MY PARK GOES CLICK-CLICK....

Posts: 58 | Location: Northwest | Registered: August 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
I never cared for the Chrysler to PG ultra bell the fitment was just not good to me . Always ran a Chrysler to chev adapter with studs and a regular Chevy case . You can find a spare trans at the track easy too if needed .

Posts: 1241 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
68 camaro. Are you talking JW ultra bell? I am not ceazy about it bolting to the pump. Also not crazy about weight, The reid and ati 2 pc has bell bolted to the case same as 2 pc chevy does.

If I went adapter with 3/8 plate I would have to add another 1/8 to converter spacer,1/8 to 3/8 behind flywheel and remove 1/4" already on converter. I could how ever do some creative milling on plate and reduce the weight back to that of 1/4 plate

DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted Hide Post
BTE here but I'm just a 4.90 bracket car. Quality seems very good to me but not a trans guru. I had an issue after about a year with park not holding, they sent me all the parts to fix it no charge. Approx 6 months later my trans brake solenoid wasn't operating correctly (trans is now 1 1/2 years old) I called to order one and told them what was going on they sent me one no charge. I ended up finding that it was a wiring issue and was going to send it back and was told to just keep it for a spare.
Customer service has been excellent for me.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inferno camaro:
BTE here but I'm just a 4.90 bracket car. Quality seems very good to me but not a trans guru. I had an issue after about a year with park not holding, they sent me all the parts to fix it no charge. Approx 6 months later my trans brake solenoid wasn't operating correctly (trans is now 1 1/2 years old) I called to order one and told them what was going on they sent me one no charge. I ended up finding that it was a wiring issue and was going to send it back and was told to just keep it for a spare.
Customer service has been excellent for me.

4.90 is stout bracket doorslammer! Good work!

I heard through the grapevine BTE is working on a 1.40 something PG low gear. Wonder how that is progressing, haven't heard any updates.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ What I thought when I read first line. 4.90 dragster no big deal. Door car pretty stout. Takes lot more to get there than I will need at 1720# on the line.

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
With the JW Chrysler adapter I never was happy with starter fitment . Plus at that time we ran stock cased trans and cutting the bell housing off was way ast a bytchi . The midplate setup is so much easier and a cleaner set up .

Posts: 1241 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Agree about JW bell setup. One of main reason I want new 2 pc setup. Lot nicer. Never used Their setup for starter. I made my own deal there. My current midplate has chevy pattern with steel insert and just add studs and could use chevy bell.
I just like having more than 1/4" of thread holding transmission in place when my feet are on the sides of it. Yea I know candy azz.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TH383:

LOl, this is a problem. I have seen more than one person get out of their car and throw a block of wood under the tire. They all have had the ATI case in them. My buddies car did the same thing, the park paw would engage but not fully and you could bounce the car forward or backward with ease. Forget ever parking on a incline, the car would click, click click and just roll away. ATI sells a new park paw that is larger but it did not fix the problem. After several attempts, (in and out of the car) we finally were able to fix his with a longer plunger that engages the park paw from another PG donor.

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the writer and do not reflect the views or opinions of any entity other than myself.

72 Nova 370 ci (Stealth Black)

Posts: 394 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: July 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
LOl, this is a problem.

yep it is!! ive got a reids case and an ati case...and after numerous adjustment i cant have my ati on the stand running in park because it will jump out of park and grind.alot of trans shops stopped using the ati case due to fear of liability it jumping out of park.

Posts: 1426 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
quote:
LOl, this is a problem.

yep it is!! ive got a reids case and an ati case...and after numerous adjustment i cant have my ati on the stand running in park because it will jump out of park and grind.alot of trans shops stopped using the ati case due to fear of liability it jumping out of park.

Get that POS out of your car and put the Reid back in with a Pro Brake!,

Posts: 2436 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of DON KALINA
posted Hide Post
I'VE FIXED SEVERAL ATI CASE PARK PROBLEMS WITH A BTE PARKING PAWL.....DEPENDS WHAT PLANETARY YOU HAVE, ALSO....GO DODGERS...

Posts: 58 | Location: Northwest | Registered: August 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
This piece is too short. It barely engages the park paw. We grabbed another one from a different stock PG and it was .050 longer and we haven't had a problem since.

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the writer and do not reflect the views or opinions of any entity other than myself.

72 Nova 370 ci (Stealth Black)

Posts: 394 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: July 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I don't really have huge issue with the park deal,for reason not going into. It does make me wonder if there are other things that might be off the same kind of little bitty bit.

In all honesty I was leaning towards reid case anyway and seems most here agree on it be better choice, I should have included FTI in discussion but was have old guy moment.

So any input on FTI after 3 pages