DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Air Flow Research
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air Flow Research
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of drslmr
posted
Has anyone had any issues with them or their products or customer service ?

There is a substitute for cubic inches!

Posts: 70 | Location: Enola,Pa.USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
No. Product Works well. They were helpful when I called with questions.

Mind this is SBC stuff. No experience with BBC.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Buddy of mine just purchased a set of the 385 magnums for his blown alky funny car. Zero issues, heads came quickly and has had no issues with the customer service.

However, they did give him wrong info...told him ABSOLUTELY DO NOT run 7/16" pushrods, he HAS to run 3/8"......Well, he freaked and was getting ready to send the heads back until I pointed out to him the pushrod holes were in the same locations as the old heads he was taking off, and his pushrods would clear....only had to take a small amount off a couple of corners and was good. But of course, they don't offer a 7/16 guide plate (he still runs stud mounted rockers) and told him the heads would fail if he tried to use anything other than their 3/8 (again) guide plates.....So to the rescue again, I nearly had to beat him over the head, but told him any guide plate will work. If it doesn't line up, cut them in half, align the rockers accordingly, and weld them back together.....he freaked again until I finally convinced him that that's how it was done years ago to get the geometry right.....he researched it and realized I actually knew what I was talking about.....so now his guidplates are set, he's running his 7/16 pushrods and is happy....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I stated this before, AFR is not a major player on bracket engines, their target and core market is the sbc street/strip crowd.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
Agreed with the sbc stuff is very good. If you were building a mild street/strip or bracket motor, these would be a fantastic choice... Ton's of these on local bracket cars around. If looking for max effort I'm sure there's better options.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NC3x58:
Agreed with the sbc stuff is very good. If you were building a mild street/strip or bracket motor, these would be a fantastic choice... Ton's of these on local bracket cars around. If looking for max effort I'm sure there's better options.

^^^
Agreed.....tough to beat for the 500 to 700 range......nice stuff.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
As far as my personal experience goes, I’ve had far better results and gotten better customer service from Brodix.

Posts: 495 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Brodix is and has been for decades, the benchmark for the best casting as well out of the box performance in the aftermarket race head industry.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
Ive only had excellent service and performance with my AFR SBC combo since 2007.

Clark

Posts: 124 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I have used AFR heads and had nothing but positive results

Probably 20 years ago I'd guess....

375 Cube SB in a first gen Camaro.

Car was light but I don't know exactly how light......2200-2300 ? A lot of Fiberglass but I can't recall exactly what it had for suspension....it was lite that's for sure

Ran a best of 9.05 150+ with a Ron's Toilet and I watched it make that run. Over 8000 at the stripe...

Bowtie Block.....AFR 220 heads that I did some modest port work but very little material removal..

Stud mounted rockers......Never broke a thing and I went thru that engine at least once....

A friend also had the same heads on a 383 and it ran very well in a heavier car....

I've seen many different heads, and the AFR SB heads were fine.....no issues....and made good power considering what was commonly used and available back then...

Sure you could make more power today with many of the heads available, but the AFR's were fine.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wooley:
As far as my personal experience goes, I’ve had far better results and gotten better customer service from Brodix.

This ^^^ Big Grin

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Good value, good performance, and a lot of domestic sourced materials. I like 'em.
#1065 SBC 220's

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1661 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
On my SBC stuff I have had good performance from both AFR and Brodix.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4015 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post