DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Trailer build photos
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 56
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trailer build photos
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Very Nice Ed. Should tow great.

Posts: 1108 | Location: OklahomaCity,OK | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I am not saying this to start any trash but for myself I would not trust an aluminum frame. Seen way too many cracks on open trailers where steel does not crack. Also I would be concerned on enclosed trailer IF it does crack you may not know it until it is too late. Even low stress things like stands and ladders steel does not crack like aluminum does around weld areas.
I know many of us have a lot of tongue weight and more trailer weight than we should and some of these roads are very rough.
Right or wrong I do not want an aluminum frame on my trailer just not the place to save weight in my opinion.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4036 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
if only your opinion meant anything here.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I am not saying this to start any trash but for myself I would not trust an aluminum frame. Seen way too many cracks on open trailers where steel does not crack. Also I would be concerned on enclosed trailer IF it does crack you may not know it until it is too late. Even low stress things like stands and ladders steel does not crack like aluminum does around weld areas.
I know many of us have a lot of tongue weight and more trailer weight than we should and some of these roads are very rough.
Right or wrong I do not want an aluminum frame on my trailer just not the place to save weight in my opinion.
Had my ATC since late 09' basically a twin to Eds except for spread axles and few extras no problems with cracks as of yet....

Posts: 1261 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Couple of tid bits for u two guys...

For the same section, aluminum will deflect about 3 times more than steel! Assuming that the grade of AL used has similar strength to typical mild steel, both these sections would support the same weight however AL would deflect 3x more under the same load which could work the higher stressed areas causing fatigue earlier than steel.

However the sections used on Ed's trailer tongue framing are much deeper than their steel counter parts, exactly for this reason noted above.

My only comment on the trailer's hitch framing is for the time is takes which is minimal, they should have angle cut the two outside tongue tubes to match up flush with the trailer's main outer frame which would give them more welding area at this connection.

If you use a steel tongue, you still need to attached it to the AL frame which is not as easy as it may sound either.

So pick whatever helps you sleep at night, the bottom line is it needs to be engineered correctly either way....

Posts: 2160 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
It is indeed one nice looking trailer frame, however I agree that the main hitch frame rails should have been mitered to the correct angle to allow max weld area on main frame rails. That's just fabrication 101. Nice looking piece though.

Posts: 58 | Location: st louis mo | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Aluminum trailers are awesome. We had a Gold rush aluminum goose neck Towed it all over country. Only problem ever was a accident that was drivers fault( I take 100% blame).Had it repaired at local trailer shop and its still going.We sold it 15 years ago.

Oh yea we bought that trailer used in 1991,sold it in 2001.I think it was 5 years old when we bought it.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Ed you should just detach yourself from your new trailer, throw it in the weeds, and start your research over on a new trailer...juat like you told the fellow with rim screws and M/ T tires...did it without calling your chit junk too like you do everyone else's chit.

jeez dude your such a d I c k to so many...what part of the truth and facts don't you like?

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of popper
posted Hide Post
Lot of opinions on this thread. Some good points about alot of things which is what these forums are all about. I'm enjoying the pictures to see the progress of the build. It would be nice to see this from other brands as their products could be analized and picked apart as well. Wish I'd of asked for pictures of my Vintage when it was built although I've been extremely happy with it. Looks like it will be a very nice piece Ed!
This would be like building a new shop, get it all done and no matter how much planning you do you'll always wish something was different.

popper
John Lynch

Posts: 229 | Location: Kingston, Illinois | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
Can you do me a favor and get the Model # and manufacturer of the hydraulic setup on that new box. Thanks. I might change over to hydraulic.

http://equalizersystems.com/pr...s/7500-lbs-capacity/

I have one on mine, love it!!

Posts: 2434 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
thanks for all the positive replies. I hope to post more construction photos as well the completed photos soon.

This is my last trailer so I put the time, effort and $ into getting exactly what I want and still there are a few things I would do differently or options I would add.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
Can you do me a favor and get the Model # and manufacturer of the hydraulic setup on that new box. Thanks. I might change over to hydraulic.

http://equalizersystems.com/pr...s/7500-lbs-capacity/

I have one on mine, love it!!

Steve could you post a photo of yours installed?

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul S/Q:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Strange Magic:
"resale value"

Most anyone with a motorhome or show hauler will stay away from a 4' foot tongue, knowing that you have to swing out real wide with a 4' foot tongue and always be concerned about crushing the trailer corner or the corner of the motorhome.

fixed it for you ..... ....[/QUOTE

This is true...my last two have had extended tongues. I borrowed a trailer with a 4' tongue and low and behold the motor home and trailer hit given the right circumstances. It isn't always the tight turn but if you are backing up and on a hill the top corners will meet each other...guaranteed.

Dykes & Strippers Custom Wiring
Auto Meter Authorized Dealer
CleanYourTrailer.com
Horse Power Sales
USADragRacingChat.com
Fab Shop
Race Flow Development

245" Harry Clack
399 inches of Horse Power Sales Power
1.031, 2.978, 4.640 at 147.47

Posts: 492 | Location: Lebanon, OH | Registered: March 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I've said it many times before and I'll say it again, what we do is full of knuckleheads at the track and towing to the track.

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
Ed you should just detach yourself from your new trailer, throw it in the weeds, and start your research over on a new trailer...juat like you told the fellow with rim screws and M/ T tires...did it without calling your chit junk too like you do everyone else's chit.

jeez dude your such a d I c k to so many...what part of the truth and facts don't you like?

Yup, may as well scratch this project...tongues too short...

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
That's a super nice looking trailer Ed. The first thing I looked at was how far back they took the center tongue beam. They did that right for sure. I would be more concerned with that than everyone's concern on the mitered side beams.

my first trailer was a Vintage...I've heard of multiple new units breaking at the tongue. I crawled under a new one and that center beam didn't extend under the trailer at all...neither did the side beams. Those weren't even a consideration at that point....

What I am always amazed at is there is very little weight savings when using the aluminum. My 34' Bravo Super Star completely loaded with options is only 6000'...

CleanYourTrailer.com
Horse Power Sales
USADragRacingChat.com
Fab Shop
Race Flow Development

245" Harry Clack

Posts: 492 | Location: Lebanon, OH | Registered: March 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
thank you.

Either the scale you had your 34' loaded with options steel trailer on was broken or your loaded and my loaded mean different things.

My 34' trailer will be most likely slightly north of 7000 lbs. as delivered.

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Are you putting the hydraulic jack on this one? If so, can you post pics of the mounting?

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1489 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
yes, as soon as they are available

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
thank you.

Either the scale you had your 34' loaded with options steel trailer on was broken or your loaded and my loaded mean different things.

My 34' trailer will be most likely slightly north of 7000 lbs. as delivered.

Ill verify that when I get home, but the tag on the trailer says 6000lbs. 34', 6" extra height, triple super spread, coin floor, cabinets with closet and tool box, carpet on walls, wheel well cabint, wired for 110, awning etc...

CleanYourTrailer.com
Horse Power Sales
USADragRacingChat.com
Fab Shop
Race Flow Development

245" Harry Clack