DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Exceldyne Belt Stretch Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Exceldyne Belt Stretch Question
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
I am looking for someone who has experience with an Exceldyne Big Block Chevy Timing belt, specifically with regard to how much they stretch. This is a 582, cam is a .805 / 287* .795 / 298* springs @ 360# on the seat so it's not a big camshaft and not an excessive amount of spring pressure. I also don't spin it up that hard, (7600).

I am getting ready to install the belt drive later this week and wondered how much they stretch.

Thanks

Bob

Posts: 3084 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I have not noticed any stretch on mine (Tall deck SBC 454) but I still replaced when I freshened it.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4024 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Mine never stretched at all. I would put a new one on at the beginning of each season just because its cheap maintenance not because it was necessary.

Posts: 2432 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
most all belts will give up 1 degree under load,no experience with that one

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
I am looking for someone who has experience with an Exceldyne Big Block Chevy Timing belt, specifically with regard to how much they stretch. This is a 582, cam is a .805 / 287* .795 / 298* springs @ 360# on the seat so it's not a big camshaft and not an excessive amount of spring pressure. I also don't spin it up that hard, (7600).

Why so much spring? 360 is a ton of overkill for that.
300 seat, tops 750-800 open.
Any of the Manley, PSI,Pac would work just fine.

I have ran all 3 previously with a 288/308 .475 lobe with 1.8 .820 with lash and deflection.
Probably 1 to 1.5 degrees of movement with that spring.

I am getting ready to install the belt drive later this week and wondered how much they stretch.

Thanks

Bob

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
With a PAC 1248 spring I was told to degree the cam 2* advanced from what the cam card says to account for any belt/chain stretch.. I would say installing the cam 1-2* advanced from the cam card will be fine...

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
same as with a chain

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I bought the CFE BMF385 heads complete with a set of T&D Pro type 1.75 shaft rockers, Manley SS valves, PAC springs (360#), titanium retainers fully ported and assembled by Tony Bischoff (BRE) for $1500, yep, that ain't no mis-print, $1500 including the freight from Ohio to my house.

I thought that it was a pretty good deal.

Bob

Posts: 3084 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Bob, if they are the Brodix casting you got a deal but if they are the canfield casting you've been played.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
These are Brodix castings.

Bob

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
great, you did good