DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Torque Converter stuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Torque Converter stuck
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted
I have a 700R4 trans that I am rebuilding to put in my 55 Fairlane.
The converter is stuck to the stator support. I have put a bar behind it an it will not budge. Any ideas to get it out?
Thinking about chaining trans to a tree and a chain around converter and yanking on it with my truck. Laughing Hard

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
If all else fails, I would drill a large drain hole in the convertor and let it drain out real good. Then I would light up the plasma torch or whatever you have and start cutting that convertor away until you can get to the pump bolts.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chasracer:
If all else fails, I would drill a large drain hole in the convertor and let it drain out real good. Then I would light up the plasma torch or whatever you have and start cutting that convertor away until you can get to the pump bolts.

HMMM. Never thought of that.. It would be messy and flammable but it would work. Welder

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
If you don't want the converter, how about welding a bolt to it and use a slide hammer on it?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6411 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted April 21, 2021 09:12 PM Hide Post
If you don't want the converter, how about welding a bolt to it and use a slide hammer on it?

i like that idea and it shouldnt ruin it welded to to the pilot,cut it back off and grind smooth

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Take a decent sized sledge hammer and hit torque converter on pilot to try pushing it in a bit then maybe it will jar loose and come out.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
Here you go. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7ijzy0Fgi4

See, us hillbilly's think alike.. Not worthy

Thanks for the laugh..

Dave

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:

Might work, but as hard as I have pried on it may not be enough force..

Dave

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
Take a decent sized sledge hammer and hit torque converter on pilot to try pushing it in a bit then maybe it will jar loose and come out.

I'll try this first.

Don't these have an oring on the end of the input shaft?

Dave

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
That I have no clue I just know every trans I ever worked on you pulled converter out of trans a little to bolt to flexplate so I would think knocking it back in might loosen it.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Unbolt the pump and remove it, if you can a long wrench on all the bolts. The converter will be easier to strike with a rubber mallet, on all sides.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Okay I’ll say it find another core

Posts: 388 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Update...

I have no idea why it was stuck but it was..

green1, wins the cupie doll. Went out in the shop, smacked it with my little 2 lb hammer a few times and it slid right out.
And as a FYI for those who do not know there is an o ring on the end of the input. Makes sense since it has a lock up converter..

Thanks for the ideas. Now to rebuild this thing.

Dave

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Wow I win something for a change!!!

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Bummer, and i thought we were going to see the video of the tree expedition. Darn.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Laughing Hard Laughing Hard

You go gree1.

Yeah the tree movie would have been cool too..

Dave

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:

And as a FYI for those who do not know there is an o ring on the end of the input. Makes sense since it has a lock up converter..
Dave

And if you forget to put the O-Ring on the input shaft, your lock-up converter will not lock up.
Don't ask me how I know this... Roll Eyes

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post