DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Aluminum cleaner?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aluminum cleaner?
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
Looking for an aggressive spray on cleaner for an intake manifold. Just in case I don't find a 2916 Eddy manifold before the Fling, I took my old manifold off and machined it for injectors. I'd like to clean it up before I put it back on. IF I do have to put it back on of course. Smile

What's someone used that clean the heck of aluminum. I don't care if it evens etches it some.

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4475 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted Hide Post
Media blast and powder coat years ago still looks great.

Posts: 230 | Location: Kilgore Texas | Registered: July 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TPaton
posted Hide Post
Alumabrite works well too. Dont use on polished aluminum, as it will etch it

Posts: 105 | Location: PA | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Purple power, or Super clean

Posts: 608 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Spray it with Eagle One's MAG Wheel Cleaner and finish it with Seymour alumi blast paint and be done with it.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Spray it with Eagle One's MAG Wheel Cleaner and finish it with Seymour alumi blast paint and be done with it.

Eagle one stuff works great. Oven cleaner works too in a pinch, similar to the Eagle one stuff.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1489 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I've used oven cleaner, toilet cleaner and wheel cleaner, then I paint them black.

Posts: 1468 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I used Eagle one like Mark suggested. I asked the guy behind the counter for the baddest, nastiest stuff he had. And if it will etch the aluminum also, that's a bonus. He walked out to the car detailing shelf and handed me the Eagle one ... He said just leave it on as long as you can without it drying. Worked perfectly for what I wanted.

$12 and $2 at the quarter car wash and I have a clean nice looking EFI manifold now.
Still hope to rustle up a 2916 manifold in time , but that won't keep me from going to the Fling now.

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4475 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Good luck at the Fling!

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2569 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
Good luck at the Fling!

From your lips to the racing gods ears my friend... Wink

Dave

F J B

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
I used Eagle one like Ed suggested. Worked perfectly for what I wanted.

Edited for correctness and you’re welcome.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
How about cleaning intake while on car

Posts: 388 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Top355x:
How about cleaning intake while on car

The stuff Mark suggested was pretty aggressive. I think it would make a he11 of a mess using it on a complete engine. I'm certain it would bleach any AN fittings for sure. Or anything anodized.

Dave

F J B

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Told ya....I wrote BE CAREFUL in big letters on the side of the bottle lol....that stuff is wicked....

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BG7X77:
Told ya....I wrote BE CAREFUL in big letters on the side of the bottle lol....that stuff is wicked....

Luckily, I listened to you my friend. I suspect it will clean and etch as much as you want to leave it on lol.

Dave

F J B

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
I just noticed this thread. I found a product that is great for cleaning aluminum, Extreme Simple Green Aircraft cleaner. It's a little hard to come by at times but I was able to get a gallon last summer from Amazon. Look through the customer images on Amazon, it's impressive stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Simple-...n/dp/B001VXU7OE?th=1

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I just tried some CLR for hard water stains.
Small spot on dual plane manifold with gloves and paper towel wet. Wipe on and wipe off. Looks great! I’ll brush some tomorrow and let you know.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4517 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post