DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Random Thought, Roller Lifters.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Random Thought, Roller Lifters.
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted
I have always just bought a new set of lifters. Never sent them in for rebuild so sitting here thinking about 2 sets I have that are very low run. One set is Crower that have maybe 75 runs on them, other set is BAM and has 8 dyno runs and 4 1/8 mi passes.

Rod broke in the Crower engine and messes up 2 pairs, BAM engine had a rod bolt break and messed up one pair.

naturallly I will reblace the damaged ones but if I were to send the rest in to have them checked, what exactly would they do. All spin nice and feel smooth. So are they doing something short of disassembly that I could do for myself?

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3308 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I’ve never had a set of lifters rebuilt. I can’t imagine the fit of the axle and whatever is as good as new.

In your case, I wouldn’t be afraid to buy a couple new pair and use your good ones.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3158 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:

In your case, I wouldn’t be afraid to buy a couple new pair and use your good ones.

That is the plan, just wondering if I was missing something when I checked the others. Heck the damaged ones roll smooth.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3308 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I would call Brad at BAM and ask him. Very nice person to deal with.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Dave You can check the lifters yourself. Visual of course. The play in the roller pin can be checked on a vise with a magnetic base dial indicator. Clamp the body in vise with Wheel up against the dial pin and measure the clearance when you lift the roller up. This is how I checked my EXZ bushed lifter. As to the limit, best to check a new one for typical or ask the manufacturer. If you have deep pockets and trust the OEM or you can’t or don’t want to inspect/check, of course send them in.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12172 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I can tell you this, you can put a brand new set of lifters in a old box and send them to Isky for inspection and I promise you they will tell you they need rebuilt lol. I love Isky lifters so any time I send them a set for inspection I already know that they will need to be rebuilt haha

Posts: 2426 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
I can tell you this, you can put a brand new set of lifters in a old box and send them to Isky for inspection and I promise you they will tell you they need rebuilt lol. I love Isky lifters so any time I send them a set for inspection I already know that they will need to be rebuilt haha

Laughing Hard

Kind of like sending something to MSD and being told nothing wrong, but works perfect when you re-install it!!

Dave

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adv ET 266:
Dave You can check the lifters yourself. Visual of course. The play in the roller pin can be checked on a vise with a magnetic base dial indicator. Clamp the body in vise with Wheel up against the dial pin and measure the clearance when you lift the roller up. This is how I checked my EXZ bushed lifter. As to the limit, best to check a new one for typical or ask the manufacturer. If you have deep pockets and trust the OEM or you can’t or don’t want to inspect/check, of course send them in.

Sounds like a plan..

BG7X77. I will ask Brad or Nick Ferri. I bought the Bam's through him.

Dave